5.0 out of 5 stars The Horse Boy
Published on 6 April 2009 by Mrs. K. A. T. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars A Trip of Highs and Lows
Note: I wrote a mini review of each part of this book as I read it, seeing as how it seems almost like an omnibus in style. These were initially just for my reference, but I felt they showed a lot more than just an end review could.
At the end I have given an overall review.

Part 1:
This part waxed and waned on whether or not it held my attention. It...
Published 15 months ago by Laura of Lurking

5.0 out of 5 stars The Horse Boy, 6 April 2009
Mrs. K. A. T. Smith (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Having a grandchild myself who is somewhere on the autism spectrum is one of the things that attracted me to the book when I read part of a serialisation in a daily newspaper. Having then purchased the book I made it my bedtime reading and found it to be enjoyable and thought provoking. Who would want this life? It is well written and flows well,testimony to it coming straight from the heart. I can only praise the strength of both parents but particularly the father's in wanting the best for his son who I hope continues to make progress in an often less than understanding world. It shows us too that we shouldn't be so judgemental on how children behave, we never know why they might be tantruming and so should be more understanding. To give this insight into both Rowans world and the difficulties of their own is a brave thing to do but shows us too how to follow our own convictions and listen to what our heart and mind is saying. The book also paints a very vivid picture of Mongolia, more beautiful than I would have thought but also in parts as sad as many other parts of our world but tells of great people who didn't judge but were prepared to help. Well worth the read, highly recommendable and purchasing a copy also helps fund a place where other 'special' children may be with animals to help them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Window into a different world, 24 April 2009
Mrs. E. P. Mills "Liz" (Cape Town, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This book takes the reader into the world of loving parents living a nightmare. A beautiful child caught in the world of autism, a father who is able to act on his intuitions, with the sometimes reluctant support of the child's mother, together take us on a miraculous journey. it is the father who is the ruthlessly honest narrator of his quest for an entrance into the mind of the child. Personally, i would have liked to have heard the mother's voice as well. But the book is powerful, unputdownable, and probably one of a kind. I found myself caught up in the journey into healing through the power of animal-meeting-human spirituality. Disarming honesty, humour and above all love and tolerance, makes this an unforgettable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Horse Boy, 27 July 2009
The Horse Boy is the best book I've read in years. I am retired and read even more now than I did. It's funny, sad and truly amazing. The ending is very unexpected.
I've lent the book to 6 people and they have all bought a copy.
Try it.
Jayne

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 14 July 2010
This review is from: The Horse Boy: A Father's Miraculous Journey to Heal His Son (Paperback)
Whilst, this book came highly recommended to me, by someone who also lives closely with a child on the autistic spectrum, I think it is also a good read for anyone who likes heartwarming, personal stories, as well as anyone interested in shamanism. Written by Rupert Issacson, himself a travel writer, about his and his wife's healing journey into the furthest reaches of Mongolia, with their young autistic son, Rowan - on horseback (well mostly - although do read the Chapter 'Vanboy', where Rupert despairs that he will ever get Rowan out of the (leopard print) van and back onto a horse.) As a parent of a child with autism, I found many parallels with my own existence, it makes you feel that you are not alone (parents of autistic children can end up feeling very isolated), and take my hat off to such a brave undertaking! It has given me renewed hope about going camping again - even though last year was such a nightmare. Sad in places and tongue in cheek in others about the everyday traumas that parents of children with autism can experience, i.e the desparate attempt to find coveted plastic animals in a soggy quagmire, with your feet, because you know your life might not be worth living without the aforementioned - plastic animals. This is also an amazing document of the Mongolian Shamans' innerworkings in recent times. Mr Issacson documents the biggest gathering of shamans in Mongolia, in recent history, since the time of persecutions. An amazing description of a healing ceremony. He also raises discussion about what it is to be a parent and what do we mean by healing? Also it is a story about acceptance and comparitive culture, in its widest possible sense. The Horse Boy foundation is bringing horse riding tochildren with autism through a number of locations and encouraging engagement with the beauty of nature through their centres in the UK and Texas.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Horse Boy, 11 Mar. 2009
The Horse Boy by Rupert Isaacson.

LOVED this book! I was profoundly moved and inspired by the bravery of this child and his parents to endure the inner torture his autism seemed to bring him, at times and the incredable resilience and love they have and had to just keep going.

I am ashamed to say I was scarred of autism and how hard it must be for all involved, that i just would turn away, I understand so much more now and instead of scarred, I am inspired, it opened my eyes and gave me a large dose of hope.

The length parents go for the love of thier child is incredable, this moved me deeply.

Ofcourse, I cried, you can't not, however, Rupert is very funny and it was a great balance of reality to hillarity, if I was crying one minute, he'd have me laughing the next. His candid portrayal of their strengths and weakness's and the sheer wildness of the adventure ( I could NEVER be that brave!) were refreshing and had me reading almost continuiously until I finished it.

I've never read every single word from start to finish; the prologue, publishers just everything, I didn't want it to end.

Kate Turner Mays

3.0 out of 5 stars A Trip of Highs and Lows, 22 Feb. 2014
At the end I have given an overall review.

Part 1:
This part waxed and waned on whether or not it held my attention. It starts with a couple having a baby they soon find to be autistic and documents their daily struggles. While the incidents and things the child, Rowan, did are interesting the writing at times read more like a newspaper article.

Rowan seems like an unreachable child no matter how the parents try, then one day he meets a horse and it is love at first sight for both. The scenes with the horse are very touching and these read well. At the end of this section a trip involving horses is being planned. I hope this will sustain the writing quality

Part 2:
This part grabbed my attention. The writing was better and events were happening in real time, they were off to Mongolia. The shaman rituals were fascinating, if a bit confounding as to the logic, I loved how much detail these were recorded in, really made it feel like you were there.

Rowan's problems were also shown clearer here where there was no access to modern conveniences. He also showed the possibility that he may be learning to lie, a huge step for him. Whether it was a lie genuine fear or something else was unknown. It was also interesting to see how people of a culture not so informed of the modern world took him, his tantrums and obsessions in their stride.

Towards the end of this section I was getting tired of the routine, repeated in detail of Rowan in the van stop for the night, Rowan run around, have a tantrum, then pack up in the morning to repeat. I think the author was trying to show what the life of the parent of an autistic child is like but it went a bit far.

Part 3:
At first this seemed to be the same van routine as before, just driving through forest, but soon they arrived at horses and began the real inland travel. There were a couple of incidents mentioned with horses getting stuck in bogs that had me confused due to the technical terminology involved. I was left unsure of what had happened, just that the participants were fine, if rather muddy in the end.

Meeting these "reindeer people" they had travelled across the world for was a strange experience to read. It seemed mundane in comparison to the other shamans and villages they had met, whether this was due to the author's familiarity of these situations by now or because the people lived in teepees and gave a distinct and calming image of the better know Native American tribes. The system felt a little anticlimactic, and while I am gad the author decided not to embelish upon what happened it felt like he was getting bored of writing the book.

The journey home was fairly straight forward, it was nice to see an epilogue several years later, although kind of wish it had been left longer as there was an omen by the last shaman suggesting something massive would change when Rowan turned nine.

Not the best autistic related book I have read, but an interesting take on therapies. The family seemed inconsistent, one moment they were working as a team and the next it was like the mother just disappeared for a chapter. The guides, cooks, translator etc who travelled with them helped to carry this novel with their personalities showing through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please buy this book!!!, 12 July 2010
Charlie (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
The best book I have read in years. After reading the first page I was hooked and finished it within two days! If you have got onto this page of reviews you are obviously interested and trying to decide, I urge you please buy this book you definately won't regret it! I personally judge a book by how I feel when reading it and how absorbed in the story I get, one minute I was crying the next laughing out loud and cheering with joy! Its rare to find a book that can have such an effect on your emotions! It makes you feel as if you are on the journey with them! It is written in such a truthful and touching manor from a father doing everything he can and more to find a way into his sons world. Anyone would enjoy this book, whether you known someone who has autism are a parent, friend, teacher have an interset in Autism, shamans and healing or horses. I personally work with children with autism and learnt so much from the book. I also horse ride and my love for horses has grown even more from reading this amazing story.

This book offers a fascinating insight into the mind of a child with autism and a completely honest account of the emotions a parent goes through. Again I urge you to please buy it an added bonus is that part of the money for all sales goes towards scolarships for the Horseboy equestrian centre in Texas. It is truly an amazing inspiring story and Im already reading it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational book, 17 April 2009
S. Burke (UK) - See all my reviews
This book not only contains the truth of what it is like to be a parent under very stressful circumstances it highlights the pure love strength and determination that turned all their lives around; it also brings you close to nature and animals and their great importance in our lives. So if you love natural Horsemanship you'll love this book.
I particularly liked Ruperts acknowledgement that he felt in some way to blame for his sons autism, he questioned why this had happened, that he may have had a faulty gene that he had passed on etc. It is only when we are fully prepared to acknowledge our inner fears and illusions that we can free ourselves from them.
I loved Betsy and her knowingness her love and wisdom pouring forth on Rowan. I had a respect for Rupert and Kristen and their compassion, patience and love for each other and their beautiful boy Rowan.
Rupert perseveres against all his nagging doubts and listens to the voice within, believes in himself and sees it through. A Mammoth journey,I feel privileged to have shared.
This book is a delight to read and I couldn't put it down, I felt moved and inspired. I thoroughly recommend it as it prioritises to me what is important in life. Looking forward to seeing the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that teaches so much, 21 Dec. 2009
Jo Bennie (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Deeply moving and inspirational. Isaacson's son Rowan is diagnosed with autism and as his rages, difficult behaviours and inability to toilet train bring Isaacson and his wife to the edge of their coping abilities at age 5 he is walking one day with his father in the woods and throws himself at the feet of a neighbour's horse, Bessie. She spontaneously submits to him, some kind of non-verbal communication takes place. Isaacson begins to ride with Rowan in front of him on Bessie and then gets the crazy idea of taking Rowan to meet with the horse shamans of Mongolia to see if they are able to heal him. What follows is the tale of an amazing journey from the States (a meeting with Temple Grandin) via the UK to the dirty urban sprawl of Ulan Bataar, a healing ceremony performed by 9 shamans from all over Mongolia and an epic journey north by jolting van and horseback to seek the reindeer shaman Ghost in the great Siberian Taiga forests. Isaacson explores faith, desperation and describes the journey he, his wife and Rowan take with a healthy cynicism. An unmissable book, and the proceeds from the book go to help the family in their project to help more autistic children by giving them the chance to work with horses.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Horse Boy, 16 April 2010
This book exceeded all expectations. My interest in reading this book was primarily to absorb more about the power of animal behaviour in curative medicine. Much more than this, the author's creative writing style transported me to the far ends of the earth. By the end it was as if his son, Rowan, was as familiar to me as my young nephew. This book gives so much: a five star travel journal; an insight into the power of animal behaviour and an excellent understanding of autism, its impact on family life and an introduction to the possibility that the balance can be adjusted (either way). What I didn't realise I would learn from this book was the story of Shamans - far better than any "history of" or "theoretical work on": this first hand exploration has made me immensely more aware. It's so good, I've just bought another 4 copies for friends and family to share.The Horse Boy: A Father's Miraculous Journey to Heal His Son: The True Story of a Father's Miraculous Journey to Heal His Son

The Horse Boy: A Father's Miraculous Journey to Heal His Son
The Horse Boy: A Father's Miraculous Journey to Heal His Son by Rupert Isaacson (Paperback - 7 Jan. 2010)