Format: Paperback|Change

Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been fascinated by the works of Daniel Kahneman ever since studying Psychology in the 1990s. However, despite carrying these ideas around with me for the last 20 years, I've not really kept up with psychological research, and so there is much here that was new to me. The book is split into topics that appears so clear, distinct and intuitive that one can be sure a great deal of work went into making it so. Kahneman's real genius is the absolute clarity with which he describes the many and varied cognitive biases which unconsciously steer our thinking. Each chapter is short and succinct, yet it gets across its core concepts amply and with a wealth of easily-grasped examples (and exercises which the reader can follow to see these biases in action within their own mind).
VINE VOICEon 31 January 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It has taken me a very long time to read this book which, far from being a reflection of any fault on the author's part,is an indication of just how good it is. So much is contained within each chapter that they all require a period of reflection and intellectual digestion before one is ready to move on. The very nature of Kahneman's thesis - that we will automatically rely wherever possible on that part of our mind that doesn't stop to think - rather precludes a list of to do's and action points. However, the concept of the premortem is worth reading the book for alone.
on 6 May 2014
Very interesting read, although it requires perseverance at time. Interesting studies are explained, and are interesting to the everyday reader!
on 13 June 2012
This book consolidates leading-edge work in the areas of human cognition & rationality over the last 20 years and presents it in easily-digestible form (for the most part). For those people seeking a better understanding of why 'gut-feel' persists as a management strategy, or why logical argument fails time after time to secure adherents, here are the answers.

But be warned: the book will reveal your behaviour in an entirely new light....
The content is fascinating, but the volume and presentation is dense and a deterrent. In the pile for when I have more time.
on 1 April 2013
Fascinating insight into how we judge and make decisions often irrationally. Kahneman encourages one to stop and evaluate choices more carefully so as to properly assess likely gains and losses and ultimately make less regrettable mistakes
on 15 July 2014
Whether fast or slow, this book makes you think, surprising you with the mistakes you and others might make.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
All about how we think - by a well recognised academic.

The book is all about why we can't really trust our own mind - it distorts, invents, contradicts and misleads us. And it happens to everyone - it is not just a few of us!

An interesting challenge for all of us - even if a bit frightening...

It has certainly made me take a step back and have a long hard think about how (and why) I make my decisions. But this may be a circular argument as it is my own (untrustworthy) brain that I am using to read this book - HELP - how do I get out of this vicious circle?
on 11 December 2012
A fascinating analysis of the way we think and of the sunconscious bias that we apply to our decisions. It occurred to me that it might also explain some of the tricks that Darren Brown gets up to with his TV shows.! .... Recommended
on 6 December 2012
A book that I picked up at a service station to keep me entertained on a long journey... which has changed the way I perceive my mind. The way that Kahneman makes a topic so vast and complex accessible and interesting is fantastic. For those with an inquistive mind I would highly recommend this book.