5.0 out of 5 stars A Tour de Force
This book is one of the most beautifully crafted autobiographies I have been privileged to read. It is a tour de force of description and emotion. It draws the reader in from page 1. and one remains transfixed throughout. It is almost beyond belief how an individual who suffered such personal grief and loss, could create an atmosphere of such deep love and...
Published on 21 May 2010 by Genny Bobroff

3.0 out of 5 stars Waking dream
Kuki Gallmann, her husband and their son were from Italy. Their family and circumstances were comfortable, except that there was the war and the immediate post-WW2 period; it was a time of trying to put the tragedy and the trauma behind. For a young girl, Africa, Kenya in particular, was the dream-country that she longed for. When it became clear that she was quite set...
Published on 26 Dec. 2012 by Azimuth500

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak read, 6 Jun. 2013
Couldn't get on with this at all..The beginning was really full of the privileged life of Europeans in Africa.Towards the end of the book was more interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Endurance, 21 Oct. 1999
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
I so fell into this book. Kuki has had such a tumultuous time in her life, I feel, almost that mine is so insignificant. The writting is so vivid, so realistic that at times you do not feel the tears falling. What an increadible novel! But how strange for us to read it. I almost feel that this book is sacred, that we are intrusive to something that is so clearly laid out in front of us, something that we may read, something that I feel should be left to rest. God bless......
A REALLY AMAZING JOURNEY, leaves a little bit of us behind......

4.0 out of 5 stars I dreamed of Africa, 6 Mar. 2014
Wonderful descriptions of African people, flora and fauna. Quite a sad book. Felt the end part which is about saving the rhino was brief and could have had more details about what she actually did for them apart from fly around getting money etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 30 Oct. 2009
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
Although I'm not a native speaker so I had some difficulties to read it, it is really moving and it shows a will-power really astonishing. I liked it.

4.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful read, 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
this is a wonderful book --- sad and happy -I really enjoyed reading and highly recommend this book.

Lovely pictures as well

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written., 5 Jun. 2014
If you're fond of Africa, and like to get lost in the natural side of it, you will enjoy this immensely. Highly recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars I dreamed of Misery, 26 Dec. 2010
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
If you expect a book on Africa, its people or its customs, you will be disappointed as this book is entirely on the lives of rich white people in Africa who seem to only be in contact with the natives when they enter their services as servants. It comes across as rather snobbish,as the authors describes all her friends as special, educated and artistic, which makes you wonder whether she considers everyone else as second-class citizens. African tribes and their customs are not described at all, they are only described in their roles as servants to the white. If you expect an exciting well-written novel, you will also be disappointed. At least I found it very badly written, boring and more a "look at my own navel" account rather than a good character description of the people surrounding the author. The description of her sons death is very touching and probably the best and most insightful part of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute masterpiece., 29 Mar. 2001
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
I found this book one of the better I have read. It truly inspires and brings many a tear to the eye. I have also seen the video, which is equally amazing, but recomment the book to any.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was flooded by colour, life, love and tragedy of Africa., 17 Feb. 2000
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
Kuki Gallmann writes from the directly from the heart, but without self indulgence; the landscape and wildlife of Kenya play as big a part as Kuki herself does in her writing. The scale of her personal tragedy is extreme and unusual, but so is her passion for this beautiful, savage land.
Her use of language and description is some of the most vivid i've come across. I was flooded by colour, life, love and tragedy. It is so intense you can almost feel the heart beat of Africa.
So far, Kuki is a survivor of her chosen life style and surroundings, but is fully aware of her own mortality after helplessly watching others lose theirs in the ongoing battle of nature verses humanity in Africa.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Hardcover)
a good read true story well writen

I Dreamed of Africa
I Dreamed of Africa by Kuki Gallmann (Paperback - 6 Sept. 2007)