5.0 out of 5 stars A Tour de Force
This book is one of the most beautifully crafted autobiographies I have been privileged to read. It is a tour de force of description and emotion. It draws the reader in from page 1. and one remains transfixed throughout. It is almost beyond belief how an individual who suffered such personal grief and loss, could create an atmosphere of such deep love and...
Published on 21 May 2010 by Genny Bobroff

3.0 out of 5 stars Every coin has two sides....!!!
I read Kuki Galman's book. I also watched the film "I Dreamt of Africa" based on her book. And I also read somewhere her daughter's comment," Karen Blixen ran away, my mother did not."

Well, last year I happen to stay in Loisaba Lodge, Laikipia, adjacent to Mrs. Galman's ranch. What I learnt there about Galmans was not very flattering. On arrival in Kenya, she...
Published on 27 April 2008 by A. Kumar

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
Sad and inspiring - a very well written book that will grip you from the first to the last page.

4.0 out of 5 stars She lived the dream, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
Having just finished "I dreamed of Africa" I read the reviews written by "others" with an open mind,
While I agree with some comments of a privileged upbringing of the author leading to acquiring light aircrafts and an upper classed social lifestyle, the "reader" can not help but "feel" for her "trials", "loses" and "struggles" through her early years in Africa.
She had the gift of giving the "reader" an insight of the landscape of Africa and a brief glimpse of the culture of its peoples.
I "lived" and "breathed" parts of the book and I enjoyed her written work but I would not want to read anymore of her books as for me, I instalment was enough for me.
She did indeed "live the dream".

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality read, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
A beautiful story of love and compassion and the excitement of Africa. She describes it all so well you are there with her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just an AMAZING read!, 22 Jun 2013
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
I would recommend this book to anyone, whether you like Africa or not! It is a true story and as such, just overwhelming, really. Stayed with me for days, afterwards. A really 'spiritual' read.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Kenya Set, 5 May 2013
First half of the book auther comes across as a girl from a privileged background full of her own comfortable useless life. Later on the setting up of the wildlife reserve is more interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 15 Mar 2013
How much tragedy and love can happen in 1 womans life. I couldnt put this book down. From tears to laughter then back to tears!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy buyer, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
Very satisfied with this purchase which I still have to read but the book is in excellent condition thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars A story worth reading - and then reading again., 12 Feb 2013
Fabulous, fabulous book. Read it years ago and it stayed with me. Still as good as I remember. Beautiful Africa.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Dreamed of Africa by Kuki Gallmann, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
Wonderful book, so well written. I just loved it. having been bought up in Kenya it was great.
I would love another of her books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Waking dream, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
Kuki Gallmann, her husband and their son were from Italy. Their family and circumstances were comfortable, except that there was the war and the immediate post-WW2 period; it was a time of trying to put the tragedy and the trauma behind. For a young girl, Africa, Kenya in particular, was the dream-country that she longed for. When it became clear that she was quite set on this objective they left their wider families in Italy, bought a tract of land and settled in the Great Rift Valley.
The land that they entered is gone now, but Kuki Gallmann has captured something of its physical beauty and dazzling variety with her wonderful evocations of Kenya at that time, its pristine wilderness, the immense herds of wild animals and the tribal people among whom they were to live, work and die during the ensuing decades.
The loss of her husband in a vehicle collision comes as a rude shock that to some extent shatters the idyll. But I will never be able to reconcile myself with a young boy being allowed to cultivate a close relationship with African snakes in the way other youngsters might do with horses - or rabbits. The 'African Dream' of the book's title becomes the fearful spectacle of a family group in a very foreign environment, sleep-walking towards disaster and when it comes, it is almost too awful to read.
The narrative carries a heavy burden of sadness and of heart-break, of promising lives thwarted, of innocence lost and a magnificent world forever changed.

ARRAY(0xafbe34f8)

I Dreamed of Africa
I Dreamed of Africa by Kuki Gallmann (Paperback - 6 Sep 2007)
6.99