on 20 October 2015
I bought this book a few years ago and put it down rather perplexed by it. Came back to it again, and reached the conclusion that whilst de Bono might be a good thinker, he's not an awfully clear writer, and he really struggles to get his ideas across.

He doesn't always seem to be that great a thinker, either. 'Both logic and perception are important in the sense that both the engine and the wheels of a car are important,' he writes on p. 19, before immediately adding, 'If I were forced to choose between the two I would have to choose perception.' But if they are both important in the sense that the wheels and engine of a car are important, how can you possibly choose between them? A car without wheels is never going to be of any use (at least, not as a car), and a car without an engine is only ever going to be of use if you're at the top of a hill and want to get to the bottom of it. A better metaphor might have been a plane - wings and an engine - because at least a plane can work without an engine (it it's a glider). His metaphor simply hasn't been thought through. Possibly this would be ok in another sort of book, but in a book about thinking it's inexcusable.

The first chapter is then followed by almost 10 pages 'About the Author' in which he shows off all his achievements - something I've never encountered in a book before, and seems more a sign of the author's insecurity than his ability. I would LOVE a book in which I could teach the power of thinking to children, but this book is not it. Penguin or de Bono need to find someone who can both think AND write lucidly, and fill a book with fun ideas, exercises, puzzles, enigmas and paradoxes that will get children thinking. This book made me think a lot, but only about how unexpectedly poor it was.
on 17 November 2013
I'd say this is a good book but for me, it seems a lot to take in, understand and apply.
on 19 December 2011
This has to be one of the most recommended books to parents that I make. If you are interested in helping your child develop thinking skills that will resource it for life I urge you to get this book and invest some time helping your child and probably yourself learn some thinking skills that could save hours and develop confidence. I read this book as part of my training in the de Bono thinking systems and have found it has become the bedrock of my processing/ thinking. Having been trained by Edward, I have used many of the techniques in writing my own books which includes [[ASIN:1904928005 Change Directions: Perceive It - Believe It - Achieve It which Dr de Bono kindly wrote the forward. Getting this book will help you and your child make the best choices from life's menu.
on 16 August 2014
TO BE HONEST, THIS BOOK IS HEAVY GOING. I GAVE UP HALF WAY THROUGH, SO NONE THE WISER REALLY.
on 23 April 2016