on 10 June 1998
Having read a number of Garcia Marquez's works in Spanish and English, I was unprepared for the curt, almost truncated writing style of this work in the English translation. There are moments when Garcia Marquez's voice rings true, and the terrifying events kept me reading, but I plan on taking other reviewers' advice, and I will read it in Spanish to get the true "sabor".
on 25 February 1999
This book shows how a gifted fiction writer can struggle with non-fiction. Makes what could have been a fascinating story into a rather dull one. Shows none of the poetry and mysticism that a reader of Garcia or other South American writers would expect. I keep thinking that somehow a good book was lost in the translation from Spanish to English.
The stories main focus is on the day to day life in captivity of the various hostages. Very dull stuff. What would have been far more interesting is the story of Escabar - and how/why he was able to rise to be such a force in Colombian society.
on 12 December 1998
This is great book because it shows the emotions involved from all sides of a kidnapping in Colombia by the drugs baron Paola Escobar. Marquez really brings out the fear and dread by the persons kidnapped and from their relatives point of view. Great!
on 3 December 1998
The characters are fantastic . . its as if I could actually touch their spirit, their soul.... this could be real life. Is this a story or is it scenes from an incident that happened long ago with Pablo Escobar.
on 3 July 1998
Marquez' brillance comes out in the end, but much of this story is plodding and uninteresting. But since he is Gabriel Garcia Marquez, his mediocre effort is still better than most.
on 4 July 1997
After finishing News of a Kidnapping, I am newly fascinated with Pablo Escobar. Can anyone suggest any additional literature? I would greatly appreciate it.
on 11 April 2014
Quite a difficult read as it is tedious to begin with. It gets more interesting as it progresses if you care about the politics of Columbia.
on 31 January 2016
This book outlines his best journalistic skills. I am amazed at the array of techniques used in his novels. Loved it
on 24 April 2003
"News of a Kidnapping" reveals García Márquez first passion: journalism. Though it's a novel, it's inspired on a series of real events that happened on Colombia several years ago. There's no evident criticism, but it reveals and illustrates the political situation of Colombia at that time (though it is still happening at the present). If you read this book, you're going to suffer both the hostages situations as their families' (as if you were either one).
But besides the dramatical situations, what is extremely interesting is the way the events are narrated. The odd chapters narrate the kidnapped people situations, their suffering. The even chapters narrate their families situations.
Though García Márquez always tend to jump back and forward into time in the same page, here the plot is more lineal and, as i said before, more journalistic.
Evidently, the kidnapping is one of the most awful crimes a human-being and his family can suffer, and by reading this, you will find out why.
on 18 April 2002
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed 100 years of solitude, I thought I'd read one of Marquez's real life stories. I have to say though that I was less than impressed. I'm sure it was a very true record of the events and did give an understanding of what's happening in Columbia, but I found it very dull. Halfway through I couldn't wait for it to be over. It certainly isn't one of those books that you can't put down, I had difficulty in picking it up. I've previously read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood and found that to be a much more gripping story of a true life event.