4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent...
Published on 31 Jan. 2010 by Ms. M. Kinahan

2.0 out of 5 stars A fanciful tale
I've read quite a few of Lesley Pearse's books, and enjoyed them well enough. (One thing that always annoys me is her linguistic tic of using "for" when most authors use "because", which I really wish she'd get past.)

Published on 14 July 2010 by Cat

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent..., 31 Jan. 2010
Ms. M. Kinahan "mkin2" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stolen (Hardcover)
I love Lesley Pearce's Novels and this book has reinforced that! The Story starts with a girl washed up on a beach, half alive, we follow her story after her friends recognise herfrom a newspaper picture as someone they worked with on a cruise ship.... The twists and turns are a real page turner, why did she wash up on the beach, why has she got marks on her arms? where did she come from? There are truly some shocking secrets about to come out... The friends from the Cruise ship are instrumental in helping uncover some of the secrets, they have not seen the victim since they disembarked, why did she not answer their texts and calls, we learn about her relationship with her parents and why her life has turned out the way it did.... I dont want to say too much as It would destroy the story, as the other reviewer says there is a certain amount of graphic violence in the book, but to be honest I dont think its any worse than say what you might read in Patricia Cornwell or Martina Cole, or indeed other Pearse novels, I bought the book and could not wait to finish it, I read it in two days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 12 Feb. 2010
J. Walsh "joannejo90" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stolen (Hardcover)
I am a Lesley Pearse fan I have to say and really enjoyed this book.
Okay, it is not up to her usual standards (but what great standards she has) but a great book that had me turning the pages and burning the midnight oil nevertheless.
If you normally buy her books please dont be put off by the above reveiw, yes there is some violence in it, but it is there for the story and not gratuitous.

All in all a page turner again, thank you Lesley, bring on the next book.

2.0 out of 5 stars A fanciful tale, 14 July 2010
This review is from: Stolen (Paperback)

I picked up Stolen in WH Smith because it was half price, and thought that the plotline looked interesting. It was, but I couldn't help feeling the whole thing was just a bit silly and far-fetched. It didn't resonate with the other novels I've read, and in some ways reminded me on the books I read when I was a teenager. I didn't feel a particular connection to any of the characters, who were, to my mind, stereotypes and poorly developed.

The book was an easy read - and I certainly didn't feel it had an inappropriate level of violence as suggested by some other reviewers - but I'm sure I'll have forgotten about it in a day or so, and won't be rushing to recommend it to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 14 April 2010
This review is from: Stolen (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was lovely to find that Lesley Pearce was now back on track after her last 2 disappointing books. I would recommend this book, it was full of drama, intrigue with a good mix of emotions. I couldn't put the book down. One not to be missed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most badly written book i have ever tried to read, 6 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Stolen (Paperback)
If i could give this book fewer stars i would, because one star implies there was something right with it and there simply is not. My 5 year old could have written better dialogue, it was utterly predictable from the first few pages, there was no atmosphere, and the characters were totally forgettable and one dimensional. In fact my worst fear is that it is so forgettable that I might buy it again by mistake....

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 14 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Stolen (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading this latest novel from Lesley; another excellent read. I was initially put-off buying it by the comments of OTT violence by another reviewer, but having read it I would like others to know that I do not agree with these comments. In my opinion, the level of violence is typical of most Pearce novels and only akin to the storyline.

I found myself compelled to reading this book as fast as I could. The storyline is a little transparent but very well written, I found myself completely drawn in to the lives of the characters during sad times in their lives and romantical involvements.

I would recommend any Lesley Pearce fan to get hold of this book as soon as possible. I very much doubt you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first read..., 18 Aug. 2010
SakuraSky (Magic Carpet) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stolen (Paperback)
I was flicking through umpteen books, trying to figure out which one to buy.

I took a chance on 'Stolen', having never read a Lesley Pearse novel before, and I absolutely loved this book! I stayed up until past 6.30am to finish it!
I've recommended it to numerous friends.

The story is plotted, with secrets being revealed slowly, keeping you gripped...
It was a lot of suspense, drama, and enough romance to carry the book through until the end.

What I like about this book is that there isn't any waffling of introductions in the first chapters [like some other books], it dives straight into the story.

The side characters are likable too... Pearse has presented them with enough detail: not too little to keep you guessing about their appearance or character, or too much detail-overload.

I'm actually surprised that this book has only received 3.5 starts!

It's a good read; it will keep you involved no matter where you are.

1.0 out of 5 stars I've lost three days, 22 May 2011
This review is from: Stolen (Hardcover)
This was the first book I had read by Lesley Pearse, and I have to say I was very disappointed in it.

The plot is totally predictable, and contrary to what someone else said, there were no twists and turns. The characters are cliched and the plotlines lazy, as well as being totally unbelievable. There are about three sex scenes totally out of place which added nothing (I'm wasn't offended by them, they were just completely unneccessary). The dialogue is slightly schmaltzy in places,and language is used poorly in describing places, situations, etc.

What is infuriating is that Lotte, the woman washed up on the beach, seemed to 'know' everything, like what was going to happen to her when she was back at the house, where they would be taken, who would be looking for them, when it didn't matter, yet she wasn't so worldy-wise when she naively got into situations that put her into real harm. It is impossible to feel empathy with any of the characters, especially Lotte, who is so sickly sweet and naive. And would she really be so good-natured after all she had been through, and so quick to get into a new relationship with a man who was first attracted to her as she lay half washed up, left for dead, on the seashore. I think not. Luckily he had just come out of another relationship, very convenient. (And he seems to 'know' a lot too, so perhaps they are well suited in that respect).

The death of the baby was totally depressing, and on another level, totally unbelievable too, that the couple would allow that to happen after wanting a child so long. I was almost wishing for a twist that the baby didn't die but they pretended it did and sold it in the US, cue tear-jerking reunion at the end. What we did get was a party, similar to a school disco, where everyone gets off with the boy/girl they fancied for ages, and everyone's happy, nevermind the rape/infanticide/abduction/attempted murder.

Much like Lotte who lost her memory, I feel like I have lost 3 days which I will never get back.
I would not recommended this book to anyone,I'm afraid. I believe a book should either challenge or absorb you, and this does neither.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best by a long shot, 21 Sept. 2010
Mrs. T. Stephens (Cambridge, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stolen (Paperback)
I have been a fan of Lesley Pearse for a long while, own all her previous novels and bought this as soon as it came out. Unlike other readers I was not put off by the violence, I am an avid reader of murder mystery and thrillers and this is tame! I also quite liked the plot of the book. I thought the writing style was different from her usual, very stilted and oversimplified, and found the conversations in particular unbelievable and unrealistic. I also thought the ending was so totally predicible, cheesy and too good to be true. Might not be so quick off the block to buy the next one.

1.0 out of 5 stars stomach churningly childish, 5 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Stolen (Paperback)
I too have loved most of Lesley Pearce's books and have recommended them to friends;
sadly not this one.

Stolen started reasonably well with the discovery of a woman's almost lifeless body on a beach. Later we find out she is suffering from memory loss.
So much potential here for a spectacular mystery.
However this doesn't happen.

The plot is far fetched and most of the characters totally unbelievable. In parts I felt the writing was stomach churningly childish.

Rather than being terrified by the dramatice finale I almost want to laugh at it as I found it was impossible for me to empathise with any of the characters.
By now I didn't care what happened to any of them.

Hopefully in her next book Lesley will rediscover her brilliant writing skills that
we all know she has.

Stolen
Stolen by Lesley Pearse (Paperback - 8 July 2010)