5.0 out of 5 stars Just great as ever Lesley
I love Lesley Pearse, I think she is one of the best writers for ages. Her books always just sweep me along and this one is no exception.

Published on 14 Nov. 2008 by J. Walsh

3.0 out of 5 stars A little weak in my opinion
I have read all of Lesley's books but consider this to be one of the weakest ones so far. Compared to blockbusters such as 'Never look back' and ' 'Till we meet again', this book was like diluted juice rather than concentrated juice !
Published on 3 Oct. 2008 by Debbielloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great as ever Lesley, 14 Nov. 2008
J. Walsh "joannejo90" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gypsy (Hardcover)

Beth and her brother Sam loose both Mother and Father and are left with a half sister to look after. After finding refuge in a nice kind household they decide to go away to America to make their fortune. Needless to say it is not as easy for them as that and along with two friends they embark on an adventure to find themselves and their fortune.

I was reading away one evening and I suddenly realised that I was over half way through the book and I was so disappointed, every single one of Lesley books has had me enthralled, with a need to know what is going to happen. They are so easy to read and they flow with such ease you cannot help but enjoy every page. Gypsie is no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better!, 25 July 2008
LAM (Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gypsy (Hardcover)
I couldn't wait to get my hands on this, Lesley Pearse's latest novel, having read and thoroughly enjoyed all of her other titles. The only disappointment was that I read the book so quickly!!!

As ever, Lesley Pearse has researched the setting for this book extremely well. Set in the Gold rush era at the end of the 19th century, all of the characters are well depicted, and I could almost imagine myself enduring the cold, harsh conditions of the Canadian winter.

It never ceases to amaze me just how varied Lesley Pearse's books are, but one thing can be guaranteed - they're always an excellent read.

I'm now looking forward to the next one ........

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful adventure, 3 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Gypsy (Paperback)
I have read several Lesley Pearse books now and I have to say Gypsy is my favourite. It is one of those epic books you can get lost inside and as you read it, it runs like a film in your head. It tells the story of a plucky young girl at the end of the nineteenth century who is orphaned and along with her brother, emigrates to America. They meet lots of interesting characters on the way and end up in the gold mining community of Canada. Pearse has really done her research and her descriptions are so good you can actually visualise yourself there.

I am giving it four stars because I have a couple of reservations. For one, all of Pearse's characters seem to speak with the same voice. I see no difference in Georgia, Charity or now Beth, the lead character of Gypsy. Also, I am pretty sure they also played a musical instrument and so does Beth. I know it might be a theme, but it's a bit repetitive. I am also mystified how anyone can write a novel set in Liverpool and not mention the Mersey. Pearse has gone to so much trouble to research Canada and the US, she could have at least learnt that Liverpool overlooks the River Mersey, not the sea, as she keeps saying.

Other than that, I would wholeheartedly recommend Gypsy. I looked forward to reading it each day and despite her shortcomings, Lesley Pearse is now among my favourite authors.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little weak in my opinion, 3 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Gypsy (Hardcover)
I couldn't get the emotional attachment towards Beth, that I generally feel with Lesley's leading ladies.Whilst her life experiences were challenging and sometimes sad, I found myself wanting to know more about the other caracters rather than Beth.
I read that Lesley had spend time in the Klondike when preparing for this book. It showed ! I was there ; I could smell the bars spilling over with people. I could see the facades as described on the buildings. And I could feel the cold ice whilst I snuggled down in my warm bed !
So in my opinion, not the best ever. But you know what ? It would make a great movie ! What do you think Lesley ?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 3 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Gypsy (Hardcover)
Lesley Pearse has done it yet again by writing a captivating, interesting and thoroughly addictive book. Is there no end to her talent to produce such fantastic stories?

5.0 out of 5 stars captivating storytelling, 16 Aug. 2011
Sarah D (Milton Keynes, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gypsy (Paperback)
Just like so many of her stories this one is so captivating her style of writing is so easily readable and just flows from word to word. From the moment I started reading I couldn't put it down, just wanting to know how the story unfolds. It has characters impossible not to care about and as you read you feel the pages come alive, images form in your mind and it's as if you are there with thoses characters on their journey and you feel a great empathy with them and that what you are reading actually happened. This is story telling at its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read!, 6 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Gypsy (Hardcover)
I love all of Lesley Pearse's books and this has to now be one of my favourites. She writes so well, you can almost picture yourself there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping!, 24 April 2012
Mrs. D. Ayres (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gypsy (Kindle Edition)
Be warned! Do not start reading this book if you have other things to do, because you will not be able to put it down. All of Lesley Pearse's books are brilliant and "Gypsy" ranks in the top three in my view. The only thing I found irritating was the NUMEROUS spelling and punctuation errors in the Kindle version. I suspect this resulted from inaccurate scanning and lack of proof reading afterwards. Still a brilliant story though.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love 'gypsy', 3 Jun. 2009
Aimee S (Coventry, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gypsy (Paperback)
This is by far, the best book I've read all year. I cried, laughed, and fell in love with a lot of characters. This is not like any of the books i've read before, the plot twists are everywhere, when you least expect it and it keeps you reading.

The book starts with a fifteen year old Beth, she discovers her father dead, and soon later on her mother dies after childbirth. Beth and her older brother Sam, are faced with responsibilites they aren't ready for. They decided to emmigrate to America, from there on their journey is ever changing, falling on hard times at every corner. Beth's talent as a fiddle player seems to save her and her group of four: Beth, Sam, Theo and Sam. The motly crew travel all over America and Cananda, untill they reach the Klondike gold rush!

I love the ending, and you belive the characters. It's educational aswell, as the group heads to the klondike gold rush, it's historically interesting! I recommend this book!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 12 Aug. 2009
J. Waddilove (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gypsy (Paperback)
I have read all Lesley Pearse books and think they are all excellent and just can't put them down until completed. However I was a little disappointed with Gypsy, the story didn't flow too well and I knew the ending before I got there. A good holiday read but not one of Lesley Pearce's best in my opinion

Gypsy
Gypsy by Lesley Pearse (Paperback - 14 May 2009)