5.0 out of 5 stars I'd never guess I will use a cookbook...
I am Chinese, we eat enormous amount of food and our cooking takes a lot of work. so when I moved to London and had to do everything by myself, and having to deal with buying ingredients which are quite alien to me, I thought I needed some help.
Published on 13 Nov 2003 by C. L. Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Bits of the exotic
Easy recipes as in his other books, some with some unusual spices and ingredients (easy to buy), but on the whole not as creative as some of his earlier volumes.
Published on 15 Sep 2009 by ThisandThat

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd never guess I will use a cookbook..., 13 Nov 2003
C. L. Lee "Clee" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I had owned cookbooks that looked pretty on shelves, and I know how useless I am with them. so I set out to get a book I can manage. I never looked back. I have bought other books since, but for some reason, Slater is the only one that gives me success stories one after the other. nothing in it is in the "too hard to tackle" category.
If you are new to cooking, it is simple to use and easy to perfect; if you are a seasoned cook, the refreshing approach to useing a variety of ingredients instead of sticking to everything by the book makes one feel good - afterall, we cook with whats around the kitchen, how often do we make a special trip to get ingredients for a fast meal?
love it, love it. I must say I have never believed in celebrity cooks, but Slater is in a class of his own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously tasty, 5 Jan 1999
By A Customer
Don't be put off by Nigel Slater's recent transformation from cookery writer to telly-chef. He is still at heart a writer, and this is a highly readable, excellent collection of recipe ideas, far more entertaining than those produced by the rather po-faced Delia or painful Ainsley.... The recipes, arranged in groups around a single main ingredient you might have picked up on your way home from work, are short and simple, perfect for cooking yourselves a quick supper, but are also seriously tasty enough for a Sunday lunch or even a dinner party. The recipes also cover just about every type of cuisine - there are some great Moroccan, Indian and Thai-influenced dishes as well as Italian and French. There are lots of options around the basic ideas, so there are plenty of ways to ring the changes. Slater is less concerned with elaborate techniques and far more interested in the quality of his raw materials, giving excellent advice on the type of ingredients to look for and to avoid. I have eaten more often from this book than any other in my (now considerable) collection - and have been disappointed less often than with any other. The fantastic 30-minute lemon roast chicken recipe alone justified buying it for all my friends, not to mention the herbed salmon, crispy scallops and bacon, and Goanese marinated prawns......

5.0 out of 5 stars Get home from work and dinner is on the table .., 26 Sep 2002
Nicki B (Radlett, Herts) - See all my reviews
..in less time that it takes to deliver a takeaway!
It's the kind of book that no matter how bare my cupboard is, somehow I can always scrape together the ingredients for one of the recipes.
No fuss, no mess and does exactly what it says on the tin. Nigel is about enjoying the eating, not hating the cooking. Easy to follow and flexible - if you don't exactly have all the ingredients, he suggests some alternatives so you can improvise.
The perfect book for the first time cook and experienced cheffers alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most used cookbook I own, 25 April 2008
This review is from: The 30-Minute Cook (Paperback)
I absolutely love this book and recommend it all my friends. The recipes are simpled and uncomplicated. The ingredients are easily sourced and the results are fantastic. I own a number of cook books - this is the one I enjoy cooking from the most. Its perfect for everyday cooking, nothing takes too long and the instructions are easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 Minute Cook, 25 Jan 2005
The best cook book I own, every recipe works, is delicious and does take 30 minutes or less to prepare. Nigel Slater really does know his stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a winner!, 10 Feb 2009
I have used this book regularly for years now, returning to old favorites and still finding recipes I haven't tried. He makes me laugh and his lack of pretension is wonderful. Recipes are clear and straightforward and the results are always excellent. I love to cook and think I cook well, so this is not only for beginners but anyone looking for inspired and authentic flavours that can be prepared quickly and easily. Thank you, Nigel!

5.0 out of 5 stars the thirty minute cook, 22 May 2004
julia pilcher (Bristol, Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I cannot recommend this book enough.If you get in from work at 6.30,like me, starving hungry , you can have a truly fabulous meal ready in no time. Every recipe I've tried has been a real winner. Good enough for any dinner party too. "Real fast food" is an excellent buy also.Money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liberated cooking!, 24 Dec 2010
This review is from: The 30-Minute Cook (Paperback)
Cooking for 'one' can be a bind BUT this 30 minute cook book sets you free! At the end of the day when you are tired and find it easier to eat a ready made dessert - a yogurt, a banana, slice of bread, bar of chocolate - because you are hungry and the slow process of putting a meal together - meat/fish/pasta/vegetables...- is initially a bridge too far THIS BOOK gives you permission to just prepare a simple dish, full of tastes which can be minutes to prepare and enable you to eat correctly and with pleasure. If you are entertaining you can mix and match a fish dish and a vegetable idea. Instead of having a whole recipe with lots of juggling of ingredients, timetables et al, you can just have enough glorious tastiness with one item. And then perhaps, having satisfied the inner hungry person, you can then feel more willing to cook another tasty item to complete your nutritional needs. It is very liberating and each item is delicious and simple. And also you realise quite quickly that each recipe is not engraved on tablets of stone - they are launch pads for you to discover that you are a naturally creative person IF you follow your senses of sight, smell and taste. With this book you have permission to be your own cook. Delicious! All the recipes are for 2 people but one item on its own makes a satisfying meal for anyone any age who is usually neglectful about cooking for themself. Feel free to enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent A+, 14 Dec 2005
By A Customer
I bought the book with the strength of review. I had never heard of Nigel Slater (sorry Nigel) but now people will hear this name! The recipes are absolutely fabulous. If you are looking for an easy to prepare, no-nonsense book, this is it. The end result is very professional tasting dish. I am very impressed and buying all of Nigel's books. I cannot say enough about his writing. And I am reading a cookbook and I would laugh out loud, getting weird looks from my husband. Buy and read to find out.

4.0 out of 5 stars good recipes - needs more pictures, 3 Mar 2010
This review is from: The 30-Minute Cook (Paperback)
I don't know whether you're like me but as an enthusiastic but inexpert cook I like to see pictures of what I'm aiming for and this is what's missing from a lot of the very good recipes in this book. The recipes are simple, clear, easy to follow and generally produce excellent results but I want more pictures!

The 30-Minute Cook
The 30-Minute Cook by Nigel Slater (Paperback - 2 Nov 2006)