5.0 out of 5 stars Reading reviews does work
I have always been a good and enthusiastic cook and while I had the luxury of time (read before kids) I would happily spend 2 hours making lasagne or something similar. Now with a family to feed, entertain and maintain, there just is neither the time or the inclination to indulge in long complicated menus.
To find a bit of inspiration for fast but still really good...
Published on 7 Sep 2005 by Moose

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the more advanced chef
I bought this book due to the excellent reviews from others and the fact that you can cook meals within 30 minutes. I am not a good cook, no matter what I do I always seem to make it look hard and so this book seemed to tick all the boxes as far as being quick and tasty. I would say the recipes are very nice, there's some good ideas and original ones at that! I would...
Published on 27 Oct 2010 by l.sains

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading reviews does work, 7 Sep 2005
To find a bit of inspiration for fast but still really good food I was hunting through Amazon. I bought this book on the strength of the reviews and were not disappointed. The book contains a wealth of great recipes and none take long to make and none are particularly compliated (read not too many fancy ingredients). Yet nowhere is taste sacrificed. Really really tasty food.
The book is organised in useful sections, making it easy to flick through and find something suitable for what you have to hand. There are recipes suitable for lunches, snacks, and both light and more substantial dinners. Very user friendly. The writing is as approachable as the recipes.
A must have for anyone who loves food but do not have the time for overelaborate recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slatering, 9 Dec 2002
I first bought this book a year ago in an attempt to eat healthily whilst doing three jobs at the same time. Since then it has become practically my only cookbook and has coined a new verb amongst my friends - slatering. it is the only word for it - all the recipes in it are practical and easy to make and yes get you out of the ready meal freezer microwave trap. the best by far is the chilli chicken kebabs the most simplest and tasiest recipe for chicken i have ever tasted and one to impress all your friends. just hide the book when they come round or you may never see it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for foodies that are always in a hurry, 13 Jun 2007
Tomasz Jarymowicz (Tromsų, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Fast Food (Paperback)
If you're tired after work or constatly pressed for time but you enjoy good food buy Nigel Slater's book. His recipes are simple and wonderful and you hardly need any cooking experience to achieve good results. Even if these recipes take a little more time to prepare than 30 minutes (it's usually closer to 45 minutes) they're still worth trying. Recipes are divided into particular ingredients which makes it all the easier to use this book. Recipes are followed by 10 or more other ideas you can put to practice using a particular ingredient.

What I also find invaluable is the section dedicated to what ingredients you should always keep handy in your cupboard to be able to prepare a simple dish after a hectic day at work.

His wonderful recipes include delicious chicken with oranges and black olives (ready in exactly 30 minutes), pasta with olive oil and fresh thyme (simple, fast and yet wonderful) and new potato saute with walnut oil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delia - eat yer heart out. Nigel's where it's at., 7 Feb 2002
By A Customer
I was introduced to this book by a friend back in the mid-90s. Since then, it's become my food bible, and I've shared it with my family & have impressed many a friend who's popped in for a mid-week supper. And, like several of the other reviewers, my copy is like the Velveteen Rabbit: pages are stained, stick together, falling apart, and the more it becomes like this, the more loved it is. It is, quite simply, the best cookbook around. It's certainly the only book that we refer to by name: "what does Nigel suggest?" being a common refrain in our kitchen.
Why is this book so perfect?
Well, for one thing, it's fast and nutritious: we work long hours & don't have the time or energy to slave in the kitchen for 2 hours when we get home (I love Delia but that's the problem with her recipes). And as the alternative is a) eating out, b) pulling something out of the freezer, c) pasta (again), or d) hummus & ryvita, this book often proves to be our Monday-Thursday evening road-map. And even when it is pasta again, Nigel has the best suggestions for fast & interesting sauces/toppings.
Second: Nigel's philosophy of cooking is very similar to mine: I make things up based on what's in the fridge anyway. The thing I like about this book is that Nigel's been doing that for longer than me: he has more suggestions, and some really interesting ones. I'm sure he's made mistakes, but they aren't listed in the book, so I can learn from them without making them myself. Nice.
Third: Nigel's a foodie but not a snob. I love the fact that he tells you to eat the very best of things: chocolate with 75% cocoa solids, greek yoghurt etc, but he also includes chip butties. And which of us doesn't secretly want a chip butty occasionally?
Fourth: Nigel's realistic. His recipes are for 1-2 and he says that this is because it's how most of us live now. He's right. (Delia: again, take note: we're not all families with 3 kids looking to roast beef). Much easier to follow his portion amounts (tho' I've made his risotto for years & still think his amounts for 2 would feed a family of 5).
Finally: I have some of Nigel's other books, but frankly, I'm a little worried that he's following the Nigella-Jamie "Glamour Cookbook" trend with his most recent offerings. Yes, they're gorgeous, and yes, he needed to do something different. But their complexity is a little more intimidating (as is the time needed for preparation), and they don't just prop up on the kettle as easily when I need to follow a recipe while opening the post, answering the phone & making supper in 25 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 2 Feb 2008
F. Hamilton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Fast Food (Paperback)
For the past few years I've found myself cooking the same sorts of dishes, spending a couple of hours in the kitchen, making something that would last a few nights. But they weren't particularly exciting; not the 10th time around, at least. The odd take-away or pre-packed meal got me through the end of the week when I was too tired to cook.

A friend bought me Real Fast Food a month ago. What can I say? This is transforming my cooking. Truly inspirational. Without a doubt the best and most practical cook book I own. I can't recommend it enough.

The book has a great "store cupboard list" of ingredients that will help ensure you are always able to make something that hits the spot - tasty, varied and and quick dishes that never fail to delight. People have called Nigel Slater a genius, and the more I use this book, the more I think they are right. I can understand why other reviewers say that their copies are dog-eared and greasy - it doesn't leave my kitchen bench, either. Add to basket.

5.0 out of 5 stars one good thing to keep somewhere handy in the kitchen, 28 May 1999
By A Customer
I have this book in my kitchen and it's filthy. The cover is stamped with grease, some pages spattered yellow, some dribbled on and scraped off, sometimes I have to prise them apart. A few years ago I decided I had to change my eating habits, cook a wider variety of dishes, but fit it into my working life, and found a book that promised I could eat good food and spend just 30 minutes a day on the entire exercise. The ethos of Slater's kitchen , namely that you cook things you like, buy fresh ingredients and don't be too precious about sticking to the letter of the recipe has invaded mine. He provides not only recipes you can follow, but recipes you can depart from, which means the act of cooking and eating is now a creative and soothing part of the day that I would find it hard to live without. If you are lost in a forest of ready meals and need a way out, this is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential self help for the uninspired foodie, 8 Oct 2003
Mr A Hartley (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For some time I have functioned under the misguided impression that a combination of post work laziness and a chronic lack of money are not conducive to good cooking. I therefore resigned myself to the banality of the standard midweek meal as I had experienced it as a student, namely generic, uninspiring and repetitive, if easy food.
Cue transformation inspired by one inexpensive, unpretentious, and irreproachable book.
I bought Real Fast food two weeks ago, have tried five of the recipes and been thrilled with each of them. The ingredients are inexpensive, preparation time is minimal and yet it works. It is very liberating to have found a book able to solve my weekday dearth of imagination
This is a brilliant self-help manual for the uninspired busy foodie

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 28 Oct 2007
A. Elvins (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Fast Food (Paperback)
I am ordering my second copy of this book. The first has simply fallen to bits from years of use. It is quite simply the very best cookery book around. For me it is a constant source of inspiration, as well as a great read. Enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 11 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This book really is great, even with my two hotplates and tiny combi oven, I can make something really good in 30 minutes. Every receipe I have tried is very tasty. I highly recommend this book for any one with a small kitchen and not much time! I am moving house soon to a new larger kitchen, where I can make much fancier meals, but this will definately remain my favourite cookery book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to return to again and again., 24 Jun 2006
My copy of this is practically worn out so I am about to purchase another one.

It is one of the most used cookery books on my shelf - always turn to it when I am short of time and low on inspiration and can always find something quick and tasty to rustle up, even if the cupboards and 'fridge are looking rather bare.

I love this book!

Real Fast Food
Real Fast Food by Nigel Slater (Paperback - 2 Nov 2006)