4.0 out of 5 stars This book has been unfairly ignored next to 'Real Food'
Published on 15 Dec 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars not easy to use while cooking
Paperback, not easy to use while cooking. Recipes ok
Published 2 months ago by Kate

4.0 out of 5 stars This book has been unfairly ignored next to 'Real Food', 15 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Real Cooking (Paperback)
'Real Cooking' is a wonderful book - a much more rounded introduction to all sorts of cooking than 'Real Food'. The recipes are written in an interesting and amusing way, and are endlessly useful. Some are long and involved and others very quick and easy. I recommend the Moroccan Lamb Stew very highly and the chicken recipes are all fantastic. Buy this instead (or as well as) Real Food. Both are good, but this, I think, is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Cookbook, 14 Sep 2009
Nathan Fisher (The UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Cooking (Paperback)
Nigel can seemingly do no wrong. His is not the world of Blumenthal-style wizardry, but that of food that anyone can cook. And should cook. Often. If I'm in the mood for cooking, it is to this or the excellent Kitchen Diaries, also by Nigel, that I turn. The ingredients lists are no longer than they should be; he writes lucidly, entertainingly and informatively; the food is delicious. I have made a fair few of his recipes now, and I've not been disappointed.

Unlike some cookbooks, these recipes are all tried-and-tested (never understood that figure of speech - are not they one and the same thing?). It is all food that he cooks at home. Not to say that this is simple, inoffensive food. His blue cheese risotto was comforting yet intriguing to the palate. A lentil soup with mushroom and lemon was moreish and exciting, probably not easy to pull off with lentils. Can't wait to try one of his curries (inauthentic by his own admission, but as he says, who cares? It is how the thing tastes that we care about).

This book is not filled with pictures of Nigel. You may or may not know what he looks like. He cares not. The pictures are of him cooking the recipes you read in the book, in his kitchen, with his own pots and pans. And it works wonderfully.

Celeb-chef cookbooks are fine, but if you wanted to learn to cook for yourself, or if you wanted a cookbook that you could happily cook from, at no great cost, every day of the week, it is to Nigel that you would turn. Food writing as it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book, 15 Mar 2007
J. Bennett (SE, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Cooking (Paperback)
This is the type of book that is just right for the home cook. How to make tasty food without the fuss and with readily available ingredients. Many of the recipes are just ideal for making when you come home from work. If you want to cook like meals like Gary Rhodes don't buy this, if you want to have a selection of recipes some of which will become your favorites then buy this and get a copy of The River Cottage Meat Book at the same time.

So why 4 stars not 5 stars, well if you are beef lover you going to be disappointed that no beef recipes make an appearance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 16 Nov 2000
This review is from: Real Cooking (Paperback)
My favourite non-fiction book of all time. Used as much to simply sit and read as a cook book. For everyone who got fed-up with the Masterchef approach (you know, everything piled up in a neat tower in the middle of the plate)this is a must-read. Nigel is obviously in love with food and cooking to him is only a means to an end. The photography here is a revelation also - it shows cooking as it really is, unlike the faked stuff in most cook books. Nigel is a genius and the best "celebrity" chef around today!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a recipe book that actually gets used, 11 Oct 2006
Cloud 9 (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Cooking (Paperback)
This is a great read, Nigel clearly has a passion for making good things to eat. I bought this book as most of the recipes are for 1 or 2 people, unlike most recipe books which seem to think we all have families of 6-8 nowadays. My main reason for writing the review is that Nigel inspired me to roast my first chicken (I'm 35)which turned out to be easy, yummy and made me feel very clever as I was able to make sandwiches and soup out of the leftovers like my Mum. Most of the recipes I've used are uncomplicated and rewarding, the easiest being dipping a leftover sausage into a jar of mustard, very happy-making.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly real cooking, 19 Jan 2010
This review is from: Real Cooking (Paperback)
I bought this book for my son-inlaw when we visited just before Christmas, he cooked from it whilst we were staying and I started browsing. I ended up buying the book for myself and my husband cooked a superb piece of pork. I only started looking at Nigel Slater's books after watching his TV series Simple Suppers and it was my type of cooking. Having to avoid dairy products we've managed to adapt the recipes with cheese etc in and they do work. Not fussy, straightforward and delicious recipes. A good cook book and used more than many others I own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food, lovely words, 17 Mar 2009
Catherine Baron "1fairlady" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Cooking (Paperback)
These recipes are not fine dining. They are real meals. Perfect for weekday dinners with the family and really good hearty food for weekend suppers with friends. Minimum fuss, maximum reward. Upon receiving the book I found myself reading it like a novel - the writing style is lovely and really makes the mouth water, so much so I have been cooking from it at least 3 times a week - meals that in other cook books I would probably pass over leap off the page and beg me to try them! I was particularly happy finding the ideas on what to do with leftover roast chicken... maybe pretty obvious, but really - left over roast chicken with smoked bacon, shallots and toast anyone? YumYum!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best cookbook by the best cookbook writer....., 29 May 2008
This review is from: Real Cooking (Paperback)
I adore Nigel Slater, not only does he write very readable books but an added bonus, his recipes are absolutely foolproof, demonstrating how easy it is to prepare delicious nutritious food without breaking the bank. I first discovered Nigel's 'Real Fast Food' 10+ years ago. Many cookbooks later, I've yet to find a duff recipe. All of his books are brilliant, but this is the one I use most, it has a good range of recipes that satisfy both me (mostly veggie)and my (confirmed carnivore) hubby. Tonight we had the mushroom and spinach lasagne - scrummy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful bible, 13 Mar 2002
This review is from: Real Cooking (Paperback)
A really helpful bible of all those things you want to make in a hurry... i regularly get home from work and can roast a piece of cod with salsa verde, served with a bit of mash and it looks and tastes like professional restaurant cooking... one of those mainstays of any collection for the everyday great tasting things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Real cooking, 23 Dec 2010
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Real Cooking (Paperback)
Another of Nigel Slater's cook books which is festooned with bookmarks for favourite recipes.

I just love his relaxed, informal style of cooking and eating. He firmly believes that good cooking is within everyone's grasp and that good food is something to be relished. "What makes something really good to eat? What is the difference between cooking something that is merely fuel and something that is a joy to devour? It is certainly not the need to make our cooking more complicated, neither is it an art that we must have at out fingertips. It is simply the understanding of the little things that make something especially good; the golden, savoury goo that builds up under a pork chop you have left to cook slowly in its pan; the intense flavour of the bits of lamb that have caught on the bars of the grill; the gravy you make from the sticky bits left in the pan after you have sauteed some chicken thighs...... The roast potato that sticks to the roasting tin; the crouton from the salad that has soaked up the mustardy dressing...I am not sure that anyone needs to learn how to make mosiacque de poulet sauce gibiers, but how to roast a chicken so that its skin is crisp and its flesh juicy is certainly worth knowing."

The book is divided into chapters as follows: Fish & shellfish; Chicken & Other Birds; Pork, Bacon & Sausages; Lamb & other meats; Pasta, Beans, Rice & Grains; Vegetables; Cheese, Snacks & Puddings.

Fish recipes include cod, leek & parsley pie; haddock fish cakes with dipping sauce; roast fish with Indian spices and coconut or with lemon & mint; sole with butter & green herbs; grilled oysters with tarragon garlic butter; plus squid, crab, prawns. There are recipes for chicken leftovers plus dishes such as roast chicken thighs with lime & ginger; fragrant chicken curry; plus duck, quail, pheasant. All things piggy include roast pork with rosemary & garlic; Thai pork rissoles; spicy sausages baked in cream. Other meat recipes include Moroccan spiced lamb shanks; Italian-style slow-cooked aromatic lamb; rabbit with cream & mustard. Vegetarians will find plenty to choose from in the pasta & beans section which includes, among others, pasta with caramelised onions, basil & cream and its alternative using aubergines, cream & garlic; lentil soup with mushrooms & lemon; hot chick pea fritters; split pea soup with Moroccan spiced butter; Indian bean stew with coriander cream onions. There are some lovely suggestions in the vegetables section - slow-cooked courgettes with lemon & basil (lovely served with fish) and several excellent aubergine dishes including grilled aubergines with lemon salsa verde.

As with some other Nigel Slater books there are occasional recipes drawn from other writers and some recipes which have been included in very similar vein in another of his own books. However, there are still more than enough new recipes to make this a worthwhile purchase.

Real Cooking
Real Cooking by Nigel Slater (Paperback - 2 Nov 2006)
6.49