Published on 26 April 2012 by Dr. Stephen J. Wooding

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch Susan's TED presentation instead
Published on 19 Mar 2012 by Rosey Lea

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and well researched work on the world of the quieter person., 26 April 2012
Dr. Stephen J. Wooding "Trainer, Teacher" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Written by an introvert mainly for introverts, this is a good mix of research, reflection, anecdotes and advice that's also obviously quite a personal work for the author. It's well written, definitely thoroughly researched though at times feels like she's trying to justify the introvert's way of being rather than overtly celebrate it - perhaps just a reflection of the subtext of the book!

As someone who's clearly been a life-long introvert and also an experiences personality and psychometric profiler I was curious to see what the author's take would be on the introvert vs. extrovert debate. My impression is that she's writing from the point of view of an introvert who found herself vying for a place in an extrovert's world who then discovered more and more people like her. She refers to the 'Extrovert Ideal' a lot which seems to be a reflection of the fact she's US-based and statistically this is a more extrovert nation and culture with around 65% of the population measuring as extroverts, casting introverts into the minority. However, for the UK reader it might be a little trickier to identify so intensely with her experience as in the UK the population is split almost evenly.

My guess is that this book is more likely to be read by more introverted souls seeking to understand themselves and their power better - and I'll be recommending it to some of my friends! It would be a shame for the extroverts of the world to miss out on getting to grips with what's actually happening beneath the calmer, quieter, more placid surfaces of some of their family, friends and colleagues, and I'll be recommending that those friends then pass it on to the extroverts in their lives!

What I liked about 'Quiet' was:

- it's not a psychology text book and is more deeply personal, sharing people's experiences
- for those who are unfamiliar with what introversion is and the reality of the 'inner world' experience, it serves as a great introduction, whether you are an introvert or work with or live with one or more
- there's plenty of good research quoted to back up the author's reflections, ideas and recommendations
- it's written in an engaging and approachable style with no hyperbole or self-aggrandisement, unlike some self-help literature
- although she could rage against the glorification of the extrovert ideal, she doesn't

My criticisms (if you can call them that) are:

- it is definitely written from the 'introverts are the minority' point of view which in the UK isn't true in general, though certainly is true of some professions
- she has a very wide definition of the behaviours and preferences linked to introversion, some of which I don't wholly agree with and isn't used by the psychological community at large

All in all I found it to be a solid, informative and well-written exposition of the true, if quiet, power of introverts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shhh - Don't tell Everyone, but this is a very good book, 22 Nov 2012
Finally a book praising the fact that the quieter and shy members of society have as much to offer as those who have a natural ability to be heard.

Cain looks at lots of case studies of people, couples and well known individuals who through the use of subtle and modest techniques are able to influence the more extroverted members of society or a relationship. Her first case study is herself, and she looks at Rosa Parks, Ghandi and others.

She also looks at how introverts need to have time and space of their own to be able to function, and how some introverted people manage to carry off a extroverted persona at times to help them fit in.

I really enjoyed this book, don't feel quite so alone now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably won't be read by the people who need to read it..., 21 May 2014
This review is from: Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking (Paperback)
In many ways, this is the sort of book that should be read by anyone who manages other people, including those who are responsible for children's education, because it goes a long way towards clearing introverts of the charges that are often laid against them - that they're aloof, unfriendly, unwilling to speak up, no good at giving presentations, etc. These are all things that can disadvantage the introvert who is, for example, being interviewed for a job or asking for a promotion.

The problem is, I think the people who are most likely to read it are introverted types who just want a bit of reassurance that there isn't actually anything wrong with them. That's a shame, because even though the book does that job very well, it could have a wider application. I only found out about it myself because I kept seeing it recommended on online forums when this specific topic was actually being discussed. Maybe the introverts of the world should start a campaign to make this book compulsary reading for anyone who has to work with other people...

To answer the criticism that this is a US-centric book and not as relevant to readers in the UK: think for a minute about the last time you saw an office which had separate rooms or cubicles for workers instead of an open plan layout; think about how many times at school or university (or indeed at work) you were told to "get into groups" to work on a problem that you could have solved by yourself; think about how many job adverts you've seen for roles which have no customer contact at all and yet demand that applicants must be "outgoing" or "lively" or similarly ghastly wording. The truth is that the Extrovert Ideal has encroached on UK society as well, however temperamentally unsuited we Brits might be! Susan Cain provides some welcome balance and sanity in a world where everyone seems to be trying to shout louder than everyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Introverts of the world unite, 26 April 2012
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Throughout my life I have had well meaning people telling me I should want to socialise all the time and that there is something wrong with me because I would almost always prefer to be curled up at home with a book. I have always had to battle for my quiet time against my nearest and dearest who think I should want to be with them. If I spend too much time with other people I start to lose sight of who I am and I have to spend a few hours by myself to recharge my batteries.

This is something I've always known about myself. When I first heard the word `introvert' and understood its meaning I knew it applied to me. But being an introvert was something that you just didn't talk about because being the life and soul of the party was the ideal. To get on at work and in life you need to be outgoing and willing to spend all your time talking to other people. The Western world values extroversion and introverts don't count partly because it is difficult for them to make themselves heard.

The book discusses research in the field and how the quality of introversion is displayed in the world. I found it fascinating to read about those who predicted the last recession and who said that what the banks were doing was extremely risky. Banks were staffed by extroverts who liked taking risks and they didn't want to listen to the quiet people sitting in the corner poring over graphs, charts and figures and predicting doom and gloom. What this book shows is that we need both introverts and extroverts to get a balance between excessive risk and excessive caution.

I was intrigued to learn that it is not only human beings who are introverts or extroverts, animals and even fish have those qualities too. Guppies which live in areas of rivers where Pike feed have different personalities from those who live in the same rivers in places where Pike don't swim. If one type of Guppy moves from one area to another it takes about twenty years for their personalities to change as personality traits in Guppies seem to be inherited. In some circumstances introversion is a trait which is necessary for survival as it imbues caution and careful assessment of risk - in this case Pike swimming by and looking for a tasty meal.

Various studies have been carried out which show that introverts engaged on creative work do a lot better if they are allowed to work on their own in peace and quiet rather than being forced to work in an open plan office. Yet the trend is for everyone to work in open plan offices. Some companies are gradually realising they need to provide both environments for their staff so that people who need peace and quiet to do their best work can find space to shut themselves away from the crowd.

This book is well written and an interesting and lively read for anyone who is an introvert or who lives or works with introverts. I found it a fascinating and thought provoking read - most especially the chapter on bringing up naturally introverted children. I found myself wanting to stand up and scream `YES YES YES' at the top of my voice as I recognised myself in so many of the examples quoted. The extrovert ideal of the Western world is not the ideal in the East where courtesy, quiet behaviour and deference to other people are regarded as admirable qualities. Maybe I need to go and live in China or India to be valued.

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't suppose anyone wants to hear my opinion, but....!, 29 May 2013
The basic premise of this book is quite an interesting one. It poses the question: are we increasingly moving towards a world where the extrovert ideal, of the sociable happy confident easy going salesman is the only person with a voice - and should we instead focus a little more on the valuable contribution of introverts to our society. Do we currently structure our schools, jobs and selection processes to favour extroverts over introverts. How does the brain chemistry of these two groups differ and how might introverts deal with some of the problems of living in a world where extroversion seems to dominate.

The book seems to have caused a lot of interest in the US - and it probably does stir things up a little in that culture, where extroversion is seen as the only appropriate social norm. Overall its a thought provoking look at the world with a number of interesting insights. It made me think differently about whether I was actually an introvert or an extrovert and also start to think about the ways that I , as an employer, value and treat the contributions and the variety of talents in my work force.

So the criticisms that follow should be weighed in the balance of that overall positive review.

Criticism one is the style of this book. It has, for me, too much of the "self help anonymised story" about it. You know the kind of thing. Bob (let's call him Bob) was a middle aged manager who ahd been married to Mindy for 12 years. Mindy was a home maker and very shy, while Bob was captain of his local bowling team...." Blah Blah. A dumb story which neatly demonstrates whatever point the author is trying to make and usually ends with Bob and Mindy both changing their ways and becoming happier and better adjusted people.

But single examples are just that - silly manufactured stories about an individual - not an analysis of a problem using objective data. This book is good when it tries to look at groups and statistics - to analyse things from a societal point of view. The fact that classrooms are now arranged in ways that encourage group activity rather than individual study is a good point. The fact that some anonymised middle manager is now getting on better with his timid wife is just meaningless chaff.

Second cricitism. There is a conflation of introversion and extroversion too often with the issue of speaking in public. Of course public speaking is something which traditionally separates introverts from extroverts - but it is by no means the only or best test - and I feel that there is too much recourse to it in the book as a token for the introversion / extroversion paradigm.

Third, one gets the feeling that the author is in some ways telling you about her own story of emerging and flowering as a person content to be introverted. Fair play. Anyone can write a book about their own journey. But in doing so, the author almost falls into the same trap: the trap of everyone's life having to be a "success". It's kind of "I was a timid lawyer... but now I have harnessed the power to be a GREAT timid lawyer. And I'm happy, (oh so happy) in my skin!!!" Actually, I'd think that the author would have achieved contentment more completely if she didn't have to tell people how successful she had been in her slef discovery. Achieving self discovery (and then telling the world about it in a book) is really stealing the clothes of the extrovert and saying "me too!!" Better not to feel the need to judge oneself by the kind of tests that extroverts use to measure success - because al lyou are really doing is re-inforcing their validity when the aim of the book appears to be to suggest an alternative.

There are a number of other points to make - but you've heard enough from me to get a flavour. I enjoyed reading it, and it caused me to rethink things. But it also caused me to think that someone, somewhere could write a better study which was less like a combination of anecdote and self help manual and more like a neutral observation on an important topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A quiet call to arms!, 16 May 2012
D. Pearce "djarmhp" (rainham, kent) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As an introvert myself, I was quite fascinated as to the insights that might be contained within this book, but ready to be disappointed with yet another thinly disguised self help book. What I got was a book that contains the most cogent argument imaginable for changing the approach to management, learning and life in general.

Extroverts are very good at energising people and carrying projects forward, but the introverts should be the ones allowed the time and space to get the projects started as they are far more likely to have workable ideas. With a number of real life examples this book doesn't lack rigour as some others do. I would recommend it for all people, extroverts and introverts alike, but I have a feeling that the managers that I have come across would regard the conclusions reached as unworkable! Read this book and come to your own conclusion, but I urge you to at least give the argument an unbiased hearing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 24 Mar 2012
Sentinel (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In `Quiet, The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking', introvert ex-corporate lawyer, Susan Cain, describes and illustrates a body of mostly US-centric research into personality types, which she divides into introverts and extroverts. Throughout the book, she weaves in her personal tales of inner transformation once she takes on board both the strengths and weaknesses of being an introvert, growing up and working in an American culture that appears to value and reward extrovert behaviour above all.

In the two and a half page conclusion of the book, she summarises maybe all you need to know about the strategies that introverts can adopt to take full advantage of their strengths (measured decision-making; empathy; analysis of situations based on sustained observation and reflection; intuition; ethical stances; preference for deep and meaningful social contacts; love of quiet and replenishing spaces etc).

Susan Cain comes across as sincere, sensitive, thoughtful and brave - as one might expect from her description of the typical introvert nature. She argues passionately that introverts, including those who come to the USA from a more culturally-introverted country, feel criticised and undervalued for being the way they are - shyness, sensitivity and seriousness are often seen as being negatives.

In some social and educational contexts, introversion is even seen as a kind of mental illness or learning disadvantage that must be cured. The author in fact acknowledges that constant exposure to extrovert behaviour; the pressure to perform in an inauthentic and pretend-extrovert manner; or just to `fit in' to a brash, noisy, insensitive world can be physically and emotionally damaging to someone more introverted.

The language and tone used in the book is that of American popular psychology and, as such, may grate on the European or British reader. Moreover, as most of the named people, cultural references, research and contexts mentioned are US-centric, I found this book somewhat frustrating. I hesitated between giving the book 3 or 4 stars, but recognise that introverts, like myself, need all the encouragement they can get!

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch Susan's TED presentation instead, 19 Mar 2012
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Susan Cain presented a wonderful speech to the TED conference regarding the difficulties faced by introverts in a world that prizes extroverts. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but education systems and working styles have become geared to the extrovert skill set, to the point where introversion is seen as an undesirable weakness, almost a mental illness, and must be overcome. It's acceptable to spend 4 hours in a meeting with 20 people achieving nothing, but not to sit on your own for half an hour and complete the work from start to finish.

Susan's 20 minute speech was fascinating and I eagerly awaited her book, but I have to admit I'm a little disappointed now it's here.

Part autobiography, part social commentary, the book adds very little to Susan's TED presentation. If anything, it detracts from it. The book is directly written for the American audience - American people talking about American research and life in America, so by the end of was craving something with a wider net of references.

The practical advice to introverts is interesting, but mainly because it acknowledges that constant exposure to extrovert behaviour can be damaging to someone more introverted (been there!), but could you really afford to turn down a job because the desk layout wasn't right for your introvert needs? Do you really have a paediatrician recommended `engagement skills' group that your nervous toddler can attend?

As someone who's more introvert than extrovert, the book made me feel a little hopeless, rather than a little empowered.

For anyone who's ever wondered whether their choice to get an early night, rather than go out and party, really does lead to a diagnosis of social phobia, low self-esteem and childhood confidence failure, Susan's work is liberation. But I'd recommend taking 20 minutes to watch her full TED presentation rather than buying the book.

(Small NB - the book cover is white and porous. After half a day in a bag the book's ruined.)

4.0 out of 5 stars "There's zero correlation between being the best talker and having the best ideas!", 13 Jun 2012
Amazon Customer "maria2222" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For many years introverts have been seen not only as less attractive and more boring than extroverts but also as a problem that needs to be fixed, so they could fit comfortably in the mold of society.

Susan Cain, if not innovatively then certainly adamantly, makes the point that introverts are as important as extroverts and that society should appreciate, learn from and make use of their special talents and not try to form them into something that they're not because that would be to the detriment of everybody. She also emphasizes how extroverts could improve their social relations and creativity ("solitude is a crucial ingredient to creativity") by taking a leaf out of the introverts' book from time to time.

The book is written from a US point of view and as the US is the most extrovert place in the world, it might not be seen as imminently important here in Europe, but I think she's got some very important points - especially when it comes to schools and work places, where group work is now majorly favoured to individual work and that just isn't a method or an environment that suits everybody, and as research proves, it's not usually the most efficient way to work either - whether you are an introvert or an extrovert! I appreciate that group work (which by the way she describes as "elitism based on something other than merit") in certain cases is a result of constrained finances, but if that means losing talent and potentially damaging people, the costs to society and companies might be lower if we found a better middle ground.

I think she has covered the subject very well; she has defined what it is - and what it isn't - shyness e.g. is not the same as introversion, she says, as it's can be defined as fear of social judgement rather than introversion which is how you respond to stimulation, including social stimulation, where introverts prefer quiet and low-key environments whereas extroverts create lots of stimulation.
She doesn't work with absolutes but backs up her claims with plenty of research and common sense and with an estimated 30-50% of the (US) population defined as introverts, I think she is difficult to overlook - even if she speaks with a quiet voice.
She also deals with how we could potentially improve conditions for introverts and the interaction between introverts and extroverts and she looks at geographical and historical points of interest as well as how parents with introverted children can help their kids both in and out of school.

It's a big subject for a fairly short book, and as I mentioned there is lots of research backing up her claims, but she has managed to make it an easy and entertaining read full of anecdotes and presented with a logical structure and good language flow, so even if you don't subscribe to all her claims, or you are an extrovert that might not feel this necessarily concerns you, I would recommend you give it a go and think about the people you know whether from work, school, friends, partners, children or housemates and I think you'd be surprised just how many - to a small or large extent - fit the description of an introvert.
And of course then you could go and have a one-to-one chat to them about this book and see if maybe they have something interesting to share about the subject (that is if you can keep quiet long enough to hear their stories!).

As somebody else has mentioned in their review, there is a TED presentation of her ideas. It far from covers the contents of the book, but it is a good intro and worth a watch (just search on the author's name on ted.com). The headline of my review is from the presentation.
Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-opener, 25 Jan 2013
I came across this book in a book-store, sealed with a promotional band, which made it impossible to read more than the back cover. Still I was intrigued. This book had been written for me, or so it seemed. It was a unique feeling. All my life I thought there was something "wrong with me" because I did not fit the extrovert model. Here was a book and a writer saying the opposite. Sheer heresy. I went straight back to my Kindle and downloaded it, probably the best 5.49 I've ever spent. Not good for the shop but at 16.99 I wouldn't have bought it anyway, not with a band sealing it.

If you prefer a book to a party, prefer Star-Gazing to Big Brother, prefer to think about what you say rather than just spouting forth, you may also be someone this book was written for. If you're at ease with "introversion" you still need this book for what it tells you about you. If you're not at ease with "introversion" then you need it even more.

This book is not a panacea. What it does do is set the record straight. Knowledge is power.

Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking
6.29