5.0 out of 5 stars The fine print
I read through this book at my usual pace, walking the dog , on the train to work , waiting in the pub for friends, in the bath, waiting for pizza, basically the usual haunts of the book addict. This book articulated my relationship with books from the tendancy to over buy books given the constraints on my time to read them, to my hatred for plot-divulging revues (the...
Published on 25 Oct. 2007 by perkster

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read - up to a point
I write this review having woken up at 5.30 this morning and analysed the World Cup winners and doing my stats of which country won the most cups (Brazil obviously), what proportion of tournaments resulted in the home nation winning the cup (6 out of 19 of the tournaments)and finally which of the winning team has never won in its own country (it was Brazil who failed to...
Published on 8 July 2010 by Bacchus

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and informative, 10 Aug. 2013
Philip Mayo - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Complete Polysyllabic Spree (Paperback)
A writer's observations on books he has read, and why, and how we become addicts to our collections. What a relief to those of us who just cannot throw a good book away, who continuously add to our space-absorbing collections against the face of all logic, what a relief it is to find that this character flaw is shared by one of the very authors whose works sit dustily, post-read, on our shelves, and will jealously be guarded by us, even unto death.

Witty and informative. I used it to make quite a few future reading choices, so hopefully our tastes are in synch, which I think they may well be, as his opinions included here on books I have already read are more or less the same as my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gold Mine, 7 July 2008
Mr. M. O. Penrose "rock_dude86" (LEEDS, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Polysyllabic Spree (Paperback)
I just finished reading this book and it is brilliant! Obviously having been written by Nick Hornby it would be but the idea of compiling a selection of book reviews makes a great book in itself, from his reviews it has inspired me to go out and find some of the books he has talked about but I would probably have never heard of...or if I had, i wouldn't have considered myself as the kind of person to read them!

for readers this is a great book if you are in a lull as there isn't a story or a plot to get around, it is just one man talking about the books he has read. fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading books about books isn't for everyone but if you do so, read this one., 22 Oct. 2007
Do my favourite authors enjoy the same books as me? Are they more erudite, and more Catholic in their reading taste? Nick Hornby's book gave me the chance to find out.Not only is he a favourite author but he is one of the writers I would love to go down the pub with too. He seems like a friend.

And I was not let down. Where Nick and I over-lapped, we agreed, and that made me feel wise - but he did read much, much more - and that made me realise I need to expand my horizions. And this book gave me pointers on how to do so.

I did not get bored because no literary genre is ignored (except sci-fi and that suited me fine). Dickens is there, So is Adrian Mole as well as new writers soon to be published in the Uk. Biographies, poetry, short-stories, crime are all there. He writes about each book he had read with wit and clarity. His literary criticism was never dry, worthy or condesending. Needless to say, he is often very, very funny but I can't spoil your read.

On the strength of his advice, I bought my first graphic novel (very right-on. It is about a girl's childhood and the Iranian revolution) and pre-ordered a book he enjoyed, Then We Came To The End.

Also he has other good advice. He sorts his books according to Trivial Pursuit categories - how brilliant is that? Much better than library cataloging and/or the unpacked box system I operate. "Where did I read it? In my first flat? Must be in the Hackney squat box!"

He writes directly to the reader. It is like having a fantastic English teacher who thinks we are all promising, precocious pupils and has taken us down the pub to discuss books we like. Naturally a large-flat screen TV showing football is on hand so stuff that is more fun than books can be enjoyed too. He never loses his sense of perspective.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book about reading, 3 Feb. 2014
Being a huge fan of Nick Hornby's novels I was hesitating with this review, especially after having been called a bastard for being an Amazon reviewer right in the beginning of the book. Dear Mr Hornby, I took it personally. Nevertheless, I shall proceed.

The Complete Polysyllabic Spree is first and foremost a great company. It is a needed pause between our endless reading wish list, it gives us time to reconsider why and how we read books and wether we are doing it for all the right reasons. And, of course, it is always interesting to learn what other people think of books you read and loved (or hated), especially if these people happen to be someone you respect.

I have a healthy appetite for books. As your average nerdy child I used to read everything that landed on my parents' book shelf and now that I'm at liberty of buying as many books as I please I feel that I read too much and sometimes "badly" - a term fully explained in the first few months of the spree. I will not spoil the book by discussing it further, but I will give a fair warning for the potential reader - if you think that this book is a collection of reviews you run the risk of reading it "badly". This book is all about the experience of reading, its joys, challenges and purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing Read, 7 Feb. 2013
Enjoyed very much, it is basically a collection of articles but provides useful information on books worth reading. In particular I am very grateful for the advice to read Mystic River, I am now a confirmed Denis Lehane fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 April 2013
This review is from: The Complete Polysyllabic Spree (Paperback)
Very accessible and enjoyable way to be introduced to a pile of new books. My bookshelves will be groaning even more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book about books, 24 Aug. 2007
Pedro Silva Ramos (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This is a great book about books and about the whole process of reading and a bit about the process of writing. It made me curious about many books. I didn't necessarily feel like reading them, though Hornby's writing about them is always compelling. I felt more like hanging out at Nick Hornby's pub or having a season ticket close to his. I hope there'll be a volume 2 of his columns for The Believer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good one to dip in and out of..., 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Complete Polysyllabic Spree (Paperback)
I admit I was a little dubious before purchasing this collection but I am so glad that I did. Hornby is great company and you can dip in and out of this at your leisure and it turned me onto no less than seven books and almost all of them were cracking reads and I wouldn't have been aware of most of them if it wasn't for Mr Hornby so thank you very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good gift, 30 Mar. 2015
Bought as a gift for a Nick Hornby fan

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable, 27 Jun. 2008
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Complete Polysyllabic Spree (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this novel about all the books Hornby had read over the course of two years. The book is presented as a series of magazine articles with each article being just the right length if you are in need of short sections, such as if you read whilst travelling. I liked the fact that his bought column was always longer than his read column! Just like me!

Not only do the articles discuss his love of reading but they also discuss why we feel we have to read certain books just because they are deemed winners or classics. It rang true with me on quite a few occasions throughout my read. You find out about what he has been reading and I liked the fact that he compared the novels to others at times, helping you make an informed decision as to whether it's a one you'd like to read. I came away from his book with a few recommendations of my own.

Written for an American audience he talks about which of the books he's read haven't been published there etc and I suppose his humour may have been presented differently for this audience. Nonetheless it is both informative and entertaining. So although Hornby says he doesn't like Amazon reviewers, well actually he's a little stronger, this Amazon reviewer is saying give the book a go. It's a pleasant read.

The Complete Polysyllabic Spree
The Complete Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby (Paperback - 28 Jun. 2007)