4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, although not completely correct.
Published on 21 July 2012 by Jóna

3.0 out of 5 stars fun
Fun and interesting concept, this book is basically a dictionary of funny expressions from all over the world, nota book to be read from cover to cover, better to just flick through from time to time.
Published 16 months ago by Serena Joy

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, although not completely correct., 21 July 2012
This review is from: I Never Knew There Was a Word For It (Paperback)
I bought this book because I am a massive word geek and I am currently running a blog about strange and obscure words. It's a fascinating read, however I was disappointed to find several mistakes. One of the Welsh words mentioned (lledorweddle) should be 'lledorwedd' (the -le means nothing whatsoever), while the full spelling of Llanfair PG (you know the one) was incorrect. These, along with a few other examples, made me wonder how many other words were incorrect throughout the book. But maybe my pedantry stems from the fact that I am a Linguistics graduate, and so I don't think anyone should be put off buying the book if they are a little interested in strange words.

It is a very humorous book and a wonderful insight into other cultures. Despite its flaws, I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars curious insight to other languages and cultures, 6 Dec 2011
Mr. Robert Marsland (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Never Knew There Was a Word For It (Paperback)
Containing for example the Somali word "guree" meaning to make room for a person to sit on a loaded camel, of which in that particular list there are 13 words relating to camels and their usage. Or how about the Albanian word "dad" meaning wet-nurse or babysitter or the Georgian "mama" which means father, or "tzompantli" from Aztec meaning a rack of skulls. The lists of words are arranged by theme, and some of the choices in the book are very funny. Its pretty long at well over seven hundred pages so theres plenty to explore and enjoy. Something to dip into, fun, although most of the words or phrases you'll never remember long enough to use, some of them being from pretty obscure languages.

3.0 out of 5 stars fun, 3 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Aug 2014
This review is from: I Never Knew There Was a Word For It (Paperback)
Some very apt words you can use when people don't quite know what you're saying to them

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Dec 2014
This review is from: I Never Knew There Was a Word For It (Paperback)
Gift so not aware of how good the book is but delivery was fast and it looks good

4.0 out of 5 stars Words, 6 Feb 2011
P. N. Buck (Woolavington, Somerset, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Never Knew There Was a Word For It (Paperback)
Interesting, but I was surprised (and perhaps a little disappointed) to discover that much of it is NOT about English.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Never Knew There Was a Word For It, 22 Sep 2010
This review is from: I Never Knew There Was a Word For It (Paperback)
Absolutely fascinating. When you own this book you will keep it close to you, so you can dip in and out whenever you have time. The perfect gift (Christmas is coming) for that person who has everything.

I Never Knew There Was a Word For It
I Never Knew There Was a Word For It by Adam Jacot de Boinod (Paperback - 5 Aug 2010)