5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book!
I've been doing this way of eating for over a year and having lost nearly three stone. I have been maintaining for some months, but had fallen into a bit of a rut foodwise and was looking for some inspiration.

Boy did I find it! I'm one of those weird people who love reading cookbooks in bed, but rarely actually cook from them. This book is an exception. It's...
Published on 27 Feb 2008 by Momo

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring but unnnecessarily restrictive
I agree with other reviewers who say that the great thing about this book is the personal experiences of the authors and the motivational sections. Even though I am not dramatically overweight, I really felt this was a diet book that understood how I felt. I was inspired to start and stick to the diet and lose weight yet again. However, although they admit that the diet...
Published on 28 Feb 2007 by NaomiP

‹ Previous | 127 28 29 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Serious problems with this book, 16 Jan 2008
Valerie O (Canberra, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet: From Pig to Twig (Paperback)
Don't get me wrong. The low-carbohydrate basis of this diet is correct. The emphasis on high protein is not. Low carbohydrate, MODERATE protein and HIGH fat is the healthy and effective way to go, both for weight loss and for healthy living for the rest of your life. To quote from Barry Groves' Second Opinions website:
"There is one simple reason: While the body can use protein as an energy source in an emergency, it is not at all healthy to use this method in the long term. All carbs are made up of just three elements: carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. All fats are also made of the same three elements. Proteins, however, also contain nitrogen and other elements. When proteins are used to provide energy, these must be got rid of in some way. This is not only wasteful, it can put a strain on the body, particularly on the liver and kidneys. Excess intake of nitrogen leads in a short space of time to hyperammonaemia, which is a build up of ammonia in the bloodstream. This is toxic to the brain. Many human cultures survive on a purely animal product diet, but only if it is high in fat. A lean meat diet, on the other hand cannot be tolerated; it leads to nausea in as little as three days, symptoms of starvation and ketosis in a week to ten days, severe debilitation in twelve days and possibly death in just a few weeks. A high-fat diet, however, is completely healthy for a lifetime."

And the fats should be mainly saturated fats, which have been falsely demonised by doctors and nutritionists. The authors do call butter and coconut oil "good fats", but don't seem to realise that they do not have to be limited in the way low fat diets limit them.

Some people find that a sudden change from their normal eating pattern to a low-carbohydrate plan, as advocated in this book, causes a serious shock to the body. This applies particularly to people who are older than the thirty-somethings the book seems to be aimed at and/or have been eating the wrong foods (mainly carbs) and gaining weight for decades. It is much safer, though slower, to make the change gradually, possibly by changing breakfasts only for a week or two, then lunches ... and so on. This gives the body time to adjust.

Though the authors several times make a point of advocating good quality foods, particularly organic foods, they unfortunately go on to recommend such non-foods and dangerous substances as soy flour, soy milk and tofu, whey protein powder, linseed (flax seed) and the artificial sweetener Splenda, all of which should be totally avoided, not just by dieters but by everybody. And their insistence on expensive supplements is unnecessary.

The importance of breakfast is correctly stressed, but the suggestion of porridge (carbohydrate) for breakfast on a low-carb diet is preposterous. Breakfast should consist of mainly protein and fat, which will restore the person's energy after not eating for twelve hours or so and keep her going until lunchtime. A decent breakfast of bacon and eggs or scrambled eggs with plenty of butter will obviate the need for a mid-morning snack.

The foods and recipes in the book do seem to be often expensive and exotic, and not the sort of thing ordinary people want or can afford to eat. Restaurant and party food choices figure excessively. The authors' ideas on clothes, hair and make-up are inappropriate and sometimes plain wrong, especially for an older woman or indeed any woman who does not feel a need to "look hot in a swimsuit".

The authors claim that if after one week on their diet you haven't lost any weight, you have not followed the diet properly or have "cheated". There are medical reasons why weight loss might not occur on this or any diet. They include hypothyroidism, coeliac disease and gluten sensitivity -- probably undiagnosed.

There are more problems with this book, and I am sorry now that I have ordered the authors' new cook book, which is bound to annoy me.

While there are some good points in it, the book as a whole is rather dangerous for the reasons I have mentioned.

I would recommend instead, or as well if you have already bought this book, 'Natural Health and Weight Loss' by Barry Groves, and 'Life Without Bread' by Christian B Allan and Wolfgang Lutz.

1.0 out of 5 stars from excitement to groans, 19 Jan 2008
Shirlee A. Mccourty (East Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book with high expectations of it being different to all other diet books, was interested right up to the part "for first 2 weeks" GROAN... It was the same as all other diet books. yes I agree it makes sense to limit carbs, and portion size. but I think where most of us fail IS the first 2 weeks, for me it makes much more sense to gradually reduce carbs and sugar so as not to CRAVE them. also I only have one cup of coffee a day, give that up? no way !!! its what propells me to get up and jump in the shower to start my day. drink 8 glasses of water a day ? yuk! firstly I cannot drink that amount each day, and I hate plain water, secondly I question why our bodies need that much, all other animals drink when thirsty so why not us? plus we also get water from food.so I was dissapointed with book. to me its just watered down "atkins" and I think we know enough to know that diet just cannot be maintained long term, not to mention smelly breath is not pleasant for either the person with it or our friends and family!!!I have a book shelf groaning from weight of diet books so I have vowed not to buy anymore and instead will just use common sense, eat smaller portions, move more, cut down on junk food, limit carbs. and throw away scales and just be guided by how my clothes fit ansd feel.

1.0 out of 5 stars not for me!, 4 Feb 2007
F. Griffiths - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Having heard this book described as common sense I was really disappointed - it seemed to me to be Atkins modified and sounded like a miserable and unhealthy experience. Vague psychological stuff didn't help. I'm glad it worked for them but I think this diet could be damaging and very difficult to sustain. It would be impossible for vegetarians.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet Another Atkins, 30 Sep 2011
I bought this book with high expectations. I need to lose the exact same amount of weight as the authors.
What I got was just another atkins dietting book. The 2 weeks of no carbs and high protein will help shift those pounds but suggesting you do this for 6 months is foolhardy, even with their ridiculous list of supplements.
I really suggest to anyone wanting to lose weight to please go talk to your doctor first. One of author's said hers a-okayed her doing it but mine has said doing what they want could make me ill, thinner but ill!

I'm not saying don't buy this book, it makes you think about what you're doing to yourself but please consider that a balanced meal is MEANT to have carbs in in it, just not as many as most of us eat. Any diet that suggests this amount of pills worries me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Diet, 1 Dec 2009
Sorry but this is Atkins Diet by another name. may suit some but not me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't do it!, 20 July 2009
Fiona H. Scott "Kinky Boots" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm a serial dieter, and have succesfully lost 2 stone a kept it off, but i'm have trouble with the last one. Having read India knight thrift book and loved it I though i would give this a go. This diet gave me 3 DAYS of migrain and vomiting! I went to the doctors and got a good telling of for following this type of diet, i now have a doctor recomended dietition, a healthy eating plan and i feel great. If you want or need to lose weight visit your doctor, high protein seriously impacts on your kidneys. I also found it patronising and "sloney".

1.0 out of 5 stars DONT BOTHER, 7 Feb 2008
K. Hey (England) - See all my reviews
Not what I expected. Yet another high protein low carb diet. There is a page of supplements you need to take which as medical experts say you shouldn't need if you are following a healthy balanced diet. Cuts out all your favourite foods, very strict for first 2 weeks or longer if you have over 3 stone to lose. No white bread allowed ever, no diet drinks i.e. coke etc ever to mention but a few, also don't bother if you are on a tight budget as this is expensive to do.
I read every page up to page 75 then just flicked through the rest as it is just another diet book, same old, same old and not the revelation of two normal (not celebrity) dieting women, like us that we expected. Just someone else taking advantage of overweight people who are trying to lose weight, whilst lining their own pockets. Don't waste your money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning! Written for Stay-at-Home Mums., 13 Jan 2008
M A Maskell "Mam" (Maidenhead, England) - See all my reviews
A word of warning. This book is written by, and for, people who are based at home during the day and have access to cooking facilities and time to cook breakfast AND lunch for themselves (and go for a walk). The authors acknowledge that other people go out to work, but address a single page to the problem of what they should do for lunch. Their solution - find an American-style deli that makes up sandwiches to the filling of your choice, then just have the filling - is not helpful, and potentially very expensive. If you're a confident cook, you'll be able to adapt the author's recipes and the principles behind them to put together adequate lunchboxes, but otherwise you'll be struggling.

1.0 out of 5 stars better off buying atkins!, 16 May 2010
Ash "Fitness Coach" (north east, england) - See all my reviews
This book is just a copy of atkins, its exactly the same!!!! what a total waste of money - let me tell you their secret ''they just eat loads of protein and fat'' any diet that says limit fruit and veg is a waste of time, if you have a major chocolate craving and you pick up and apple instead - WELL DONE!! keep it up and you may just loose a few pounds & keep them off! these nit whits reckon if your feeling peckish crab a steak! ..... ill stick to me greens THANKS! if you want to buy a better version of this ATKINS is much better researched!

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT VERY HEALTHY, 26 Jun 2012
This diet begins in a really unhealthy way, hence having to take fibre supplements amongst many others. Rather than completely eliminating carbs from your diet it is better to just eat the good carbs which are high in fibre. These good carbs can be found in vegetables and fruit, I personally think better from vegetables as fruits are higher in sugar. Your would have to eat a LOT of vegetables to eat too many carbs. Also it is important to have foods which contain wholegrains such as brown pasta or rice (although if wanting to lose weight I would keept it to 55g for a single portion.)

‹ Previous | 127 28 29 | Next ›

Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet: From Pig to Twig
Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet: From Pig to Twig by Neris Thomas (Paperback - 3 Jan 2008)
6.29