5.0 out of 5 stars A good read as well...
Published on 11 Jan. 2007 by moodyold blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring but unnnecessarily restrictive
I agree with other reviewers who say that the great thing about this book is the personal experiences of the authors and the motivational sections. Even though I am not dramatically overweight, I really felt this was a diet book that understood how I felt. I was inspired to start and stick to the diet and lose weight yet again. However, although they admit that the diet...
Published on 28 Feb. 2007 by NaomiP

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read as well..., 11 Jan. 2007
overweight, bored with it too? you will enjoy this. i bought this as I like india knight's newspaper column and thoughtt it might be a bit different.It was that very rare bird indeed- a diet book that was a good read! Read it as a book first and enjoy their story.Any mum of a certain age will smile with recognition, but somehwere along the line the thought enters your head that maybe you can do it too. Cant vouch for the diet plan- only 5 days in to it, but would say buy the book for itself. Now when did you last enjoy reading a diet book?

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book!, 27 Feb. 2008
I've been doing this way of eating for over a year and having lost nearly three stone. I have been maintaining for some months, but had fallen into a bit of a rut foodwise and was looking for some inspiration.

Boy did I find it! I'm one of those weird people who love reading cookbooks in bed, but rarely actually cook from them. This book is an exception. It's beautifully produced and bound and very well presented. The best thing about it are the fabulous, easy and tasty recipes. It has inspired me back into the kitchen.

My favourites so far have been the chili bake, onion bhajis, celeriac bravas, and the aubergine and feta pie. The 'take five' section is genious. All the recipes I've tried have worked and they have all been lovely. I've fed them to my hubby and the kids, and even used them with guests.

I have several low-carb cookbooks and this is by far my favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars A break from the usual, 5 Jan. 2007
I bought this book after reading an interview with the authors in Marie-Claire; they sounded like nice friendly ladies with similar weight-struggles over the years to me. The thing I love about this book is that it's pretty much unique in being friendly, down to earth, and funny. Most diet books I've read (and believe me there have been alot) have either fallen into the american/medical/wordy category like Atkins and South Beach, or just felt a bit mainstream and dull, like Weight Watchers and Rosemary Conley. This book reads more like your favorite magazine, and I think if you're young(ish) and like to think you're still quite trendy and with it, it will really suit you. Even the cover looks more like a chick-lit novel than a diet.

That said, the diet itself (as the authors freely admit) is not something revolutionary, it's just low carb high protein, like Atkins. The first two weeks are virtually identical to Atkins in fact (that's as far as I've got so far). I don't think the diet itself is a reason to buy this book - we all know that diets work, it's just sticking to them that's the hard bit - and that's where this book is fantastic becuase the authors lost a total of 10 stone on this plan. The motivational content about comfort-eating really makes you stop and think before you demolish a packet of Jaffa Cakes, and I really love their journal sections where they talk about how they're feeling each day.

Overall, I'd really recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars I Know This Will Work, 24 Jan. 2007
S. Stuart (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
A friend and I have been "dieting" on and off, mostly half heartedly, for a few years now so when she bought this book and lost almost 6lbs the first week I had to see what it was all about.

The diet is a diet, but the approach is very different to other diet books. Neris and India have been on this diet and tell it how it is, plus they also encourage you to feel good about yourself whilst doing it. So many other books maintain that fat is ugly and thin is beautiful. This one says you are beatiful now, and just wait until the weight drops off! It also goes into the psychology of why we eat too much and how to break the addictions that lead us to over eat and put on weight.

I'm on the diet now, I know I'm losing weight and I know that this time I will be able to stick to it and, most importantly, learn how to like myslef again in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Idiot proof!, 13 Mar. 2007
There are a whole host of dieting books available today. However, few are written by "normal" people who've stuggled with weight in real life. This book does that and that's why I found it so relatable. I have always been on the lookout for books that can be candid, honest and real about weight loss and this one does just that. Sure, it can be sometimes restricive but if you want the weight to come off, that's what happens! I whole-heartedly recommend this one simply because the authors are so down to earth. Another good one I found that fits this criteria is "Fatass No More!" and it's help me shed the pounds as well.

In the end, though, it is up to you to control your eating habits and this book helps with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful life changing book!, 5 Feb. 2007
K. A. Shrubb (Worcestershire UK) - See all my reviews
At last a diet book from people who understand what it is like to be fat! From the first page you will be hooked by this easy to read, no nonsense, non jargon riddled book that tells you simploy and honestly how to lose weight. I couldn't wait to start the diet and three weeks on am lighter and happier and feel better. Thank you India and Neris. And to those of you who are heavier than you would wish - buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars A diet book for real people, 28 Jan. 2007
Debjani Mazumder (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Not normally a fan of diets and diet books, I'm really enjoying following this book. I'm on week 3 and have lost half a stone. The book is very reassuring and supportive as well as being great fun. It has great tips for dealing with real life - such as going to weddings, parties etc. so you can detox without becoming a hermit. The only one drawback I've found so far, is that its not entirely clear what you can and can't eat in Phase 1 - milk? yogurt?? & do I really have to carry on taking the supplements for ever? hope not....

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally..., 7 Feb. 2007
R. Yahel (London, England) - See all my reviews
I read a section of the book in The Sunday Times Style supplement just before embarking on a mad low calorie crash diet-type thing. Lasted two days till I felt sick to my stomach (and hungry !) and ordered this book.

Was already a fan of India Knight's columns and books but her humour is just what this subject needs.

I really feel like there are kindred 'dieting' spirits out there for me that understand my need for real food even whilst 'on a diet' and acknowledge that the only true path to healthy eating and being normal weight is a life time plan that can adapt to our lives, not the other way around..

I'm a working mum with a toddler, I love good food, I don't have time to go to classes and I need something I can adapt to all situations. This is it !

Love all the bits of advice and 'feel good' stuff. It's all so true..

Planning to stay the pace..go buy it if you've a long term weight problem you'll find something in there that resonates..

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and insightful more than just a diet book, 7 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet: From Pig to Twig (Paperback)
This book essentially documents how the two authors lost about 10 stone between them on a high protein/ low carbohydrate diet.

High protein diets have fallen somewhat out of fashion, but this book is worth buying if only because of the supportive tone and honest insights of the authors. No haranguing or making you feel like you are the greediest, vilest scum of the earth because you are fat.

The diet works and is easy to stick to, after the first couple of weeks. The recipes are delicious, but this is not a recipe book - instead it is a day by day, or week by week, companion to keep you on track, often by suggesting little shopping sprees, haircuts or some new moisturiser to celebrate having lost some weight. An expensive strategy, but one that works.

The advice is funny, empowering and full of common-sense.

The book has been re-edited since the hardback version came out, with some of the irritating errors in that version now corrected.

The downside is that a high protein diet is always going to be difficult to achieve on a budget and this is definitely not a cheap way to eat. Whether it is healthy or not, is not for me to say. It is not balanced from the outset, but is by the end.

I would recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars It Really Works, 7 Jan. 2008
Anne Crofts (Harpenden, England) - See all my reviews
I have read through the paperback version which, as the previous reviewer says, has been edited. When it came out in hardcover I and two friends bought it and followed it faithfully. One of us lost the stone she had planned to lose, I lost two and half stone and the other lost two stone. Two of us, including me, haven't slipped up in a year. I found it very entertaining and an excellent prop when my willpower needed strengthening. It isn't easy but there is so much sense about why we eat and general psychology that it's comparable to having a friend with you. I believe I have finally accepted that I cannot continue to stuff food at will without damaging my health. My blood pressure has dropped from 148/92 to 120/78 and the threat of medication has been avoided. I have tried other ways of losing weight, included Atkins, and this is the first time in 50 odd years I have found a sensible, sustainable eating regime - for life.

Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet: From Pig to Twig
Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet: From Pig to Twig by Neris Thomas (Paperback - 3 Jan. 2008)