5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book!
I've been doing this way of eating for over a year and having lost nearly three stone. I have been maintaining for some months, but had fallen into a bit of a rut foodwise and was looking for some inspiration.

Published on 27 Feb 2008 by Momo

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring but unnnecessarily restrictive
I agree with other reviewers who say that the great thing about this book is the personal experiences of the authors and the motivational sections. Even though I am not dramatically overweight, I really felt this was a diet book that understood how I felt. I was inspired to start and stick to the diet and lose weight yet again. However, although they admit that the diet...
Published on 28 Feb 2007 by NaomiP

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book!, 27 Feb 2008

Boy did I find it! I'm one of those weird people who love reading cookbooks in bed, but rarely actually cook from them. This book is an exception. It's beautifully produced and bound and very well presented. The best thing about it are the fabulous, easy and tasty recipes. It has inspired me back into the kitchen.

My favourites so far have been the chili bake, onion bhajis, celeriac bravas, and the aubergine and feta pie. The 'take five' section is genious. All the recipes I've tried have worked and they have all been lovely. I've fed them to my hubby and the kids, and even used them with guests.

I have several low-carb cookbooks and this is by far my favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read as well..., 11 Jan 2007
overweight, bored with it too? you will enjoy this. i bought this as I like india knight's newspaper column and thoughtt it might be a bit different.It was that very rare bird indeed- a diet book that was a good read! Read it as a book first and enjoy their story.Any mum of a certain age will smile with recognition, but somehwere along the line the thought enters your head that maybe you can do it too. Cant vouch for the diet plan- only 5 days in to it, but would say buy the book for itself. Now when did you last enjoy reading a diet book?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lifeline, 29 Jan 2008
This review is from: Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet: From Pig to Twig (Paperback)
Contrary to what some people believe (brainwashed by the sugar sponsored Low Fat diet industry; when will people realise that 'low fat' or light means 'padded out with sugar'?) this is a healthy way of eating. It is a low (not zero) carb diet but does not restrict vegetables in the way Dr Atkins did. His diet always worked but left you constipated and smelling like a drain. On this plan you can eat wonderful veg like mashed swede, celeriac dauphinoise, nuts and dark chocolate. The tide is turning; there was an article in the Guardian the other day suggesting that fruit may not be as good for us as we believe, vegetables are much better. With its emphasis on fresh food and its ban on processed food, caffeine and diet drinks this is not only an easy plan to follow (no counting, food made yummy with olive oil allowed and cheese in moderation) but you feel marvellous. The book is witty and amusing and there is a wonderfully supportive internet forum to go with it and an excellent cookbook. No-one will notice you are on a diet but you will look and feel terrific as I do after 10 months. I am happy to stay on this as long as it takes and then switch to the maintenance level. Rosemary

5.0 out of 5 stars Idiot proof!, 13 Mar 2007
There are a whole host of dieting books available today. However, few are written by "normal" people who've stuggled with weight in real life. This book does that and that's why I found it so relatable. I have always been on the lookout for books that can be candid, honest and real about weight loss and this one does just that. Sure, it can be sometimes restricive but if you want the weight to come off, that's what happens! I whole-heartedly recommend this one simply because the authors are so down to earth. Another good one I found that fits this criteria is "Fatass No More!" and it's help me shed the pounds as well.

In the end, though, it is up to you to control your eating habits and this book helps with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A break from the usual, 5 Jan 2007
I bought this book after reading an interview with the authors in Marie-Claire; they sounded like nice friendly ladies with similar weight-struggles over the years to me. The thing I love about this book is that it's pretty much unique in being friendly, down to earth, and funny. Most diet books I've read (and believe me there have been alot) have either fallen into the american/medical/wordy category like Atkins and South Beach, or just felt a bit mainstream and dull, like Weight Watchers and Rosemary Conley. This book reads more like your favorite magazine, and I think if you're young(ish) and like to think you're still quite trendy and with it, it will really suit you. Even the cover looks more like a chick-lit novel than a diet.

That said, the diet itself (as the authors freely admit) is not something revolutionary, it's just low carb high protein, like Atkins. The first two weeks are virtually identical to Atkins in fact (that's as far as I've got so far). I don't think the diet itself is a reason to buy this book - we all know that diets work, it's just sticking to them that's the hard bit - and that's where this book is fantastic becuase the authors lost a total of 10 stone on this plan. The motivational content about comfort-eating really makes you stop and think before you demolish a packet of Jaffa Cakes, and I really love their journal sections where they talk about how they're feeling each day.

Overall, I'd really recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars It Really Works, 7 Jan 2008
Anne Crofts (Harpenden, England) - See all my reviews
I have read through the paperback version which, as the previous reviewer says, has been edited. When it came out in hardcover I and two friends bought it and followed it faithfully. One of us lost the stone she had planned to lose, I lost two and half stone and the other lost two stone. Two of us, including me, haven't slipped up in a year. I found it very entertaining and an excellent prop when my willpower needed strengthening. It isn't easy but there is so much sense about why we eat and general psychology that it's comparable to having a friend with you. I believe I have finally accepted that I cannot continue to stuff food at will without damaging my health. My blood pressure has dropped from 148/92 to 120/78 and the threat of medication has been avoided. I have tried other ways of losing weight, included Atkins, and this is the first time in 50 odd years I have found a sensible, sustainable eating regime - for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great way of eating and a great book, 10 July 2007
M. Kerr "majik" (UK) - See all my reviews
I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who has thought about losing weight before and not managed it. It works. It has been working for me since March and will continue to do so. Unlike some other, negative, reviewers here, I have not found it costly; the supplements are sensible additions to a slightly restricted diet (so much of our eating is restricted in nutrients anyway!) and the water and exercise are just common sense.

I know, without a doubt, that my weight loss is due to over-consumption of carbohydrates over many years. The book made sense to me - India's story mirrored my experiences and the whole first section of the book made it clear that if I didn't sort out why I was eating the way I was, that nothing would ever change. It now has. I currently weigh two stone less than I did and I feel better and healthier for it.

Other reviewers who have tried this book and found it wanting have not, I feel, read - or tried - it carefully enough. The diet is not terribly expensive (I don't have money to throw around and have to feed two children as well) and fits in well with my lifestyle; I do like to eat out occasionally (not oysters! Why go on about oysters?) and I am NEVER hungry. That's the big difference from calorie counting - you are hungry all the time! But with this way of eating, the protein fills you up; after all, eating protein and veg is a much more 'natural' way of eating than all the processed stuff we now consume.

Give it a go. It made sense to me; maybe it will to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful life changing book!, 5 Feb 2007
K. A. Shrubb (Worcestershire UK) - See all my reviews
At last a diet book from people who understand what it is like to be fat! From the first page you will be hooked by this easy to read, no nonsense, non jargon riddled book that tells you simploy and honestly how to lose weight. I couldn't wait to start the diet and three weeks on am lighter and happier and feel better. Thank you India and Neris. And to those of you who are heavier than you would wish - buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Starting the diet on January 2nd :-), 29 Dec 2006
I was in a fever of excitement waiting for this book to come out as I enjoy India's style of writing tremendously and could only imagine the potential inspirational zap of her encouragement combined with a low-carb diet approach. I was not disappointed.

The diet is basically an Atkins/Zone type approach (as a they freely admit) but modified to allow you to have a life while you're following it. As someone who has, in the past, lost 4.5 stone on Atkins I *know* this approach works - plus the clear but lighthearted instructions around supplements, exercise (just walking initially-doesn't sound too scary or unrealistic) make me want to include these in my regime where I didn't before. Also the overall approach - handy web links to beauty treats and useful info the back, the hot pink cover, amusing photos, very simple but yummy-sounding occasional recipes - add up to an inspiring package. Can't wait to get started! Thanks for the inspiration India and Neris!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and insightful more than just a diet book, 7 Jan 2008
This book essentially documents how the two authors lost about 10 stone between them on a high protein/ low carbohydrate diet.

High protein diets have fallen somewhat out of fashion, but this book is worth buying if only because of the supportive tone and honest insights of the authors. No haranguing or making you feel like you are the greediest, vilest scum of the earth because you are fat.

The diet works and is easy to stick to, after the first couple of weeks. The recipes are delicious, but this is not a recipe book - instead it is a day by day, or week by week, companion to keep you on track, often by suggesting little shopping sprees, haircuts or some new moisturiser to celebrate having lost some weight. An expensive strategy, but one that works.

The advice is funny, empowering and full of common-sense.

The book has been re-edited since the hardback version came out, with some of the irritating errors in that version now corrected.

The downside is that a high protein diet is always going to be difficult to achieve on a budget and this is definitely not a cheap way to eat. Whether it is healthy or not, is not for me to say. It is not balanced from the outset, but is by the end.

I would recommend it

Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet: From Pig to Twig
Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet: From Pig to Twig by Neris Thomas (Paperback - 3 Jan 2008)
6.29