Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 July 2011
The Weather Makers was written by Tim Flannery and was published in 2007. The book may be slightly outdated, however the book still manages to engage my interest around climate change and illustrate the process and outcomes of a changing planet will have on us. The book is split into five key sections which can show how the book wants to address different parts and processes associated with global warming. The book is very accessible to read and is split into smaller chapters which are appealing to the readers with a short amount of time to read and yet still want to gain knowledge linked with this global, geographical process.
Concentrating with the five separate sub-topics you can easily understand how the book is well-structured and will inform the reader well. Gaia's tools, One in ten thousand, The science of prediction, people in greenhouses and The solution are the names of the chapters, and the book structures the chapters within each topic so the topics raised flow really well. The structure within this book is superbly done, and is one of its highlights. Each individual chapter lightly touches on an issue or cause rose by global warming, and yet manages to approach this issue in superb detail. From reading the book I have began to understand processes including coral bleaching, biodiversity issues, renewable resources as well as the atmospheric science associated with global warming. This book contains the wide variety of topics, and is a perfect read for anyone who wants to delve into the study of climate science or global warming.
For me, my favourite chapter was The great aerial ocean (second chapter) as it illustrated scientific, atmospheric knowledge with the balance of general experiences which are enjoyable to read. The book gave me knowledge which I hadn't struck before, for example the individual temperature gradients found at different parts of the atmosphere. The detail Flannery goes into impresses me, as he touches on detail with his own personal style that I find the book very comfortable to read. The chapter was followed by a brilliant first chapter which illustrated the necessity of the atmosphere, and that life wouldn't exist without it. I believe that Flannery is producing a subliminal message that we've been given this atmosphere to provide life, and yet we seem to be misusing this complex system.
So in conclusion, I shall repeat the message that the structure of the book is the strongest attribute, as it makes the book gain a friendly and approachable manner. The author's consideration for a variety of audiences is seen clearly with the explanation of a variety of processes and causes done in great detail. The book does struggle as it can look very unappealing to the general audience due to the size of the book, and the terminology used within the contents and preface. I find this a shame, as the book has the ability to challenge any type of reader. The book also doesn't input a large amount of consideration whether global warming actually exists. Climate change is mentioned very little except for the inputs comparing our climate to the recent ice ages and medieval warming period. Although my overall opinion is that this book has benefited my entire view on global warming, and I appreciate that I have gained knowledge and revelations from reading this book from the great detail and mannerism. Well done Tim Flannery!
on 30 May 2011
This is an easy to understand and well written account of the most up to date scientific understanding of what we are doing to our planet. It is unsettling and saddening but totally unputdownable.
on 2 November 2008
I am relatively new to literature regarding the environment and matters of sustainability, so only have a limited perspective on the topic, but I have to say this book is the most influential piece of work I have ever read. Tim Flannery does an amazing job of educating the reader (which includes non-scientific folk like myself) on the current state of the environment, how it managed to get to the state in which it's in and where it's heading.

If I was asked which book, out of everything I have ever read, would I recommend everyone read it would be "The Weather Makers". I know how cliche that sounds but if everyone did read this book and used the knowledge acquired in their everyday life then the world would be a far better place for us all.

If you're searching for a book to educate you on climate change, from a scientific, political and environmental standpoint then I would highly recommend this book.

Tim Flannery certainly earned himself the Australian of the year award for his work and I thank him for his dedication to educating people on what is clearly a global issue that we should all be taking very, very seriously.
on 10 January 2008
Global warming, caused by greenhouse gas emissions, is an incontrovertible, unassailable fact. Yes, a few flat-earth folks remain who argue that more proof is still needed. Thousands of objective technical reports, published in refereed scientific journals, clearly show the case is already made. In the scientific community, there is no debate: Climate change, caused by humans, is here. And, unless we quickly do something about it, the end results could be cataclysmic. We recommend Tim Flannery's impassioned book about climate change. This book will thoroughly educate you regarding the dangers of global warming and will tell you what you can do to address this shared problem. It is hard to imagine a more vital topic.
on 14 January 2008
This is a very balanced and fair view of the subject, extremely informative and intelligently written. I am lending it to a friend as a highly recommended book as I think it should be read by as many people as possible who want to make some difference to this world.
on 16 December 2007
Flannery provides readers with a interesting, yet informative look at our planet and how our human society is effecting it. Global warming is something that we are taking far too lightly, and Flannery makes it obvious that we are in danger. He starts off by looking at the history of our planet's climate, and certain situations that have affected our climate in the past. He then throws a number of harsh stats at the reader, mainly having to do with rising in global temps. and the extinction of some animal species. He does not put it lightly that human activity is slowly ruining our planet. If we continue on this path of destruction, whether it be intentional or not, Flannery believes that our Earth will eventually become 'unlivable'. Us as individuals, our governments, and our society in general our the only ones who can stop the tragedy of global warming from occuring. Tim does not leave us hanging there. He provides many was that us, both as individuals and as a society, can stop this monster before it takes over our future generations. I highly recommend that anyone who feels a slight concern for the future of our climate to read this book. It is a real eye-opener.
on 7 November 2014
Interesting because of the current debate.
on 17 July 2007
The Weather Makers gives a good overview of the subject of climate change. Flannery presents the scientific evidence for climate change, describes how our atmosphere and global working works, gives the history of climate change and the effects of the present warming so far and explains the solutions (e.g. carbon capture).

It is well written, easy to read and uses fascinating examples and first hand accounts.
on 30 December 2012
Amazing book. Tim Flannery manages to communicate the degree of complexity of the environmental issues that we're up against without intimidating the reader. Beautifully written. Should be compulsary readying for all.
on 12 March 2006
I read this book with delight and learnt lots. Flannery is a great writer - his 'Future Eaters' is a wonderful natural history of Australia and New Zealand. However, the big debate on climate change must involve Bjorn Lomborg, whose book 'The Sceptical Environmentalist' poses a serious challenge to the those who think the environment is poses the number one threat to humanity. I was amazed the Flannery does not once mention Lomborg, not even in the index. This left me uncertain as to how robust the more alarmist elements of Flannery's argument might be. One example: Flannery mentions rising cancer rates due to ozone depletion near the South Pole: but when looked at carefully these may be isolated examples of questionable significance.
So: read Flannery with a dose of scepticism - but read him!