5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!!!
This book clearly sets out the facts and science of climate change and is easy and enjoyable to read.
Climate change has the potential to have a major impact on each of our lives either as individuals, consumers, business men/women, investors etc.
This book gives you a clear picture of what is actually happening through examples and clearly taking you through...
Published on 12 Mar 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars An emotional plea for change!
I must admit, I didn't enjoy Flannery's style. It seemed to me that he often tries to shock rather than sift through the pros and cons while patiently explaining why it can be so difficult to make exact predictions.
Flannery is an impatient main on a crusade.
Published on 9 Jan 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read., 30 Nov 2005
Every single person on this planet needs to read this book. It is one of the most passionate accounts of climate change I have ever read. It is informing and has opened my eyes to the problems the human race is causing to our planet. I have not been able to put it down. This book will change the way you live your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tim Flannery Encouragement!, 18 July 2011
This review is from: The Weather Makers: Our Changing Climate and what it means for Life on Earth (Paperback)
The Weather Makers was written by Tim Flannery and was published in 2007. The book may be slightly outdated, however the book still manages to engage my interest around climate change and illustrate the process and outcomes of a changing planet will have on us. The book is split into five key sections which can show how the book wants to address different parts and processes associated with global warming. The book is very accessible to read and is split into smaller chapters which are appealing to the readers with a short amount of time to read and yet still want to gain knowledge linked with this global, geographical process.
Concentrating with the five separate sub-topics you can easily understand how the book is well-structured and will inform the reader well. Gaia's tools, One in ten thousand, The science of prediction, people in greenhouses and The solution are the names of the chapters, and the book structures the chapters within each topic so the topics raised flow really well. The structure within this book is superbly done, and is one of its highlights. Each individual chapter lightly touches on an issue or cause rose by global warming, and yet manages to approach this issue in superb detail. From reading the book I have began to understand processes including coral bleaching, biodiversity issues, renewable resources as well as the atmospheric science associated with global warming. This book contains the wide variety of topics, and is a perfect read for anyone who wants to delve into the study of climate science or global warming.
For me, my favourite chapter was The great aerial ocean (second chapter) as it illustrated scientific, atmospheric knowledge with the balance of general experiences which are enjoyable to read. The book gave me knowledge which I hadn't struck before, for example the individual temperature gradients found at different parts of the atmosphere. The detail Flannery goes into impresses me, as he touches on detail with his own personal style that I find the book very comfortable to read. The chapter was followed by a brilliant first chapter which illustrated the necessity of the atmosphere, and that life wouldn't exist without it. I believe that Flannery is producing a subliminal message that we've been given this atmosphere to provide life, and yet we seem to be misusing this complex system.
So in conclusion, I shall repeat the message that the structure of the book is the strongest attribute, as it makes the book gain a friendly and approachable manner. The author's consideration for a variety of audiences is seen clearly with the explanation of a variety of processes and causes done in great detail. The book does struggle as it can look very unappealing to the general audience due to the size of the book, and the terminology used within the contents and preface. I find this a shame, as the book has the ability to challenge any type of reader. The book also doesn't input a large amount of consideration whether global warming actually exists. Climate change is mentioned very little except for the inputs comparing our climate to the recent ice ages and medieval warming period. Although my overall opinion is that this book has benefited my entire view on global warming, and I appreciate that I have gained knowledge and revelations from reading this book from the great detail and mannerism. Well done Tim Flannery!

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced, informative, highly recommended, 14 Jan 2008
This is a very balanced and fair view of the subject, extremely informative and intelligently written. I am lending it to a friend as a highly recommended book as I think it should be read by as many people as possible who want to make some difference to this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I Have Read On Climate Change, 2 Nov 2008
I am relatively new to literature regarding the environment and matters of sustainability, so only have a limited perspective on the topic, but I have to say this book is the most influential piece of work I have ever read. Tim Flannery does an amazing job of educating the reader (which includes non-scientific folk like myself) on the current state of the environment, how it managed to get to the state in which it's in and where it's heading.

If I was asked which book, out of everything I have ever read, would I recommend everyone read it would be "The Weather Makers". I know how cliche that sounds but if everyone did read this book and used the knowledge acquired in their everyday life then the world would be a far better place for us all.

If you're searching for a book to educate you on climate change, from a scientific, political and environmental standpoint then I would highly recommend this book.

Tim Flannery certainly earned himself the Australian of the year award for his work and I thank him for his dedication to educating people on what is clearly a global issue that we should all be taking very, very seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction, 17 July 2007
Mrs. R. Dean (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The Weather Makers gives a good overview of the subject of climate change. Flannery presents the scientific evidence for climate change, describes how our atmosphere and global working works, gives the history of climate change and the effects of the present warming so far and explains the solutions (e.g. carbon capture).

It is well written, easy to read and uses fascinating examples and first hand accounts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book. I've bought this countless times for people., 30 Dec 2012
Amazing book. Tim Flannery manages to communicate the degree of complexity of the environmental issues that we're up against without intimidating the reader. Beautifully written. Should be compulsary readying for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rude awakening to global warming., 16 Dec 2007
Laur B (Saskatoon, Sk Canada) - See all my reviews
Flannery provides readers with a interesting, yet informative look at our planet and how our human society is effecting it. Global warming is something that we are taking far too lightly, and Flannery makes it obvious that we are in danger. He starts off by looking at the history of our planet's climate, and certain situations that have affected our climate in the past. He then throws a number of harsh stats at the reader, mainly having to do with rising in global temps. and the extinction of some animal species. He does not put it lightly that human activity is slowly ruining our planet. If we continue on this path of destruction, whether it be intentional or not, Flannery believes that our Earth will eventually become 'unlivable'. Us as individuals, our governments, and our society in general our the only ones who can stop the tragedy of global warming from occuring. Tim does not leave us hanging there. He provides many was that us, both as individuals and as a society, can stop this monster before it takes over our future generations. I highly recommend that anyone who feels a slight concern for the future of our climate to read this book. It is a real eye-opener.

3.0 out of 5 stars An emotional plea for change!, 9 Jan 2006
By A Customer
Flannery is an impatient main on a crusade.
On top of that his pet topic - "Gaia", the world as one living organism that keeps (and sometimes fails to keep) the environment at an optimum for itself - keeps popping up in his book. Gaia is quiet controversial, but Flannery doesn't really bother to argue his case much. After an example or two F. just sort of says it's OK if you don't believe in it, but keeps quoting Gaia throughout his book none the less.
It seems to be more of a book for the converted rather than reaching out to the undecided or the merely curious.
I was looking for a book which would summarize the latest developments in climate research. F. does that - as well. This was the reason why I did give 3 stars.
However the emphasis in this book is not on science but on the need for action, now.
F. writes like a barrister using everything he can to bolster his case.
I do believe mankind is responsible for global warming. I also believe we have to act. Still, I did not take to F.'s proselytising.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 7 Nov 2014
Interesting because of the current debate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Feeble and alarming for all the wrong reasons, 31 May 2011
Flannery is not a climate scientist. He does not have a stiff upper lip, nor does he cope well with scare stories. He panics, and spreads alarm, and does so without good reason and with one half-baked, selective, ill-informed argument after another. His forecasts of doom are now legend in Australia since they have been refuted time and again by events. For a section by section demolition of this dreadful piece of 'work', I commend D Weston Allen's book 'The Weather Makers Re-Examined' (Irenic Publications, 2011. He has identified dozens of example of extreme statements in Flannery's book, all unsupportable except as personal opinions. He finds 78 overstatements, 31 statements with untraceable or suspect sources, 76 one-sided, incomplete or misleading statements, 64 oversimplifications or factual errors, 45 instances of failure to reflect uncertainty, 25 misinterpretations, and 28 contradictory or inconsistent statements. The book is a disgrace to science and an insult to the intelligence of the reader.

The Weather Makers: Our Changing Climate and what it means for Life on Earth