5.0 out of 5 stars Wake up!
Published on 26 Aug 2008 by Lester

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good and informative but not as brilliant as the first book
I was surprised to see everyone rating this as 5 stars. While Felicity Laurence's last book really was a five star book. This book is less oustanding. I can not really explain why except that it seemed to be a bit less gripping than the last one, but only a bit. For example the description of how margerine was made was so long wordy and complex that it could have done...
Published on 27 Nov 2008 by RL

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake up!, 26 Aug 2008
Lester (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eat Your Heart Out: Why the food business is bad for the planet and your health (Paperback)
I found this book informative, revelatory and utterly compelling. You should definitely read it if you'd like to know more about how our food is adulterated beyond belief by the handful of faceless transnational corporations who control a vast amount of our food chain. The corollary of their unceasing quest to increase the "value added" to their products is that our food is nutrient-depleted to such an extent that we'd be better off eating the packaging their expensive, processed junk comes in.

I too found this a better read than "Not On The Label" in that it explained more thoroughly the health implications of moving away from a diet that has evolved naturally over several thousand years to one that was artificially manufactured in the second half of the last century - seemingly not in the best interests of consumers but rather to line the pockets of agribusiness and to further the geo-political aims of successive American and European governments. There's plenty of "and now the science bit" but, whilst being quite detailed, I never found it difficult to follow.

Before reading "Eat Your Heart Out" I felt a growing uneasiness about the direction our over-processed, convenience-led food supply was taking us. Now I feel much more informed about the damage that is being done to our health and society.

This book will open your eyes and may even radicalize you a little. It really is breathtaking what has happened to our diets in the course of just a few decades. Thankfully, the author remains (just) optomistic that we've not passed the point of no return, and that a deal of the damage can be undone. But that's gonna have to start with individuals changing their buying habits and modifying their lifestyles. "Eat Your Heart Out" explains exactly why you should start today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsory Reading, 3 Jan 2009
Some reviewers have commented that this book is not as good as Felicity Lawrence's 'Not On The Label'. I would recommend both - they complement each other well, dealing with all manner of issues surrounding food production and consumption. Eat Your Heart Out is, of course, more up to date, but it's fair to say that little has really changed since Not On The Label was published and they cover differest aspects of a very big subject.

This book ties in so many aspects of a system that we should all know and care about, not least because it depends so heavily on exploitation, messes up the environment, is unsustainable and serves up a food that is simply not very good for us (despite the way it's advertised). If that all sounds a bit left-wing and radical-veggy, then I would add that one of the most shocking apsects is how tax-payers on both sides of the Atlantic are having to fork out for massive (and damaging) subsidies that don't actually seem to help those who really need it.

Felicity Lawrence does a great job of tying together the complex issues in a very readable way. Highly recommended - this really will change the way you think about food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 31 July 2008
Bert (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I loved this book. I was engrossed from the very first page, and the more I read, the more I was appalled at state of the world's food systems. I am simply shocked at the modern day slavery, and the embarrassing inabilities of our governments to be able to control corporate power or even obtain taxes from these giants.
I liked the combination of economics, ethics, politics and food and nutrition in this book. I couldn't really get into Not on the Label: What Really Goes into the Food on Your Plate because I thought I already shopped ethically and healthily. However reading this has changed my view of everything, I can see how everything is linked, where those who control us are headed, and how it's not in the direction I would like.
Saddened and frustrated, I am also inspired to become pro-active and change what piece of the world I can. I am determined to stop any more of the destruction of the Amazon rainforest by soya growing corporate giants, and to end the mafia run slavery in Italy, where our tomatoes are farmed.
I think to draw my own conclusions from this book that there must be a radical reform to our own political systems. Capitalism has it's benefits, but it should never have been limitless. I think capitalism needs to be capped in order to control growth, and empower the social ethics that are so key to quality of life. I have never understood why people are so obsessed with the bottom line, even to the point where they destroy their own earth. For this to happen though it would mean that politicians would need to be more powerful than corporations.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 13 Oct 2011
Vital reading for everyone who eats. We need to know what we are putting in our mouths. After reading this book you will be motivated to avoid processed foods and cook from natural ingredients. You will learn how the multi nationals and food processing industry exploit us the consumers and the workers in the whole food chain. read this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Revelatory, as always. Outstanding journalism, 11 Jan 2011
Felicity Lawrence is an exceptional reporter.

Who else has the courage, tenacity and erudition to publish such a book?

Please read it. And her column in The Guardian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 5 Aug 2008
CJ Craig (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Once again Felicity Lawrence has given us a book which should be required reading for everyone who eats. She has outdone herself this time with the detail and scope of her investigations into how food is produced, how it is packaged and shipped, and on the strangle hold that three food corporations and the supermarkets have on what we eat. The section on soya was especially shocking and if you are a vegetarian or vegan you absolutely must read this section. Her first book prompted me to make many changes in how I shop. This book has shocked me into a complete re-evaluation of what I actually eat. Read this book and it will change your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, Kindle version poor, 24 May 2012
I eat a lot of junk food and buy 95% of it from supermarkets, so there was a lot to make me think in here. This is investigative journalism rather tham popular science, and like some others I wasn't convinced that all sources are reliable, or tha the interpretation was always sound. Still worth reading, although the Kindle version is very poor. it seems as if an OCR of the book has been used (surely not?) and all the references to Salisbury's supermarket get pretty annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars essential reading for anyone who wants to know how big buisness sucks, 4 Aug 2010
After you read this book you ask yourself why is this still allowed to go on. It makes you dispair at the worst in human nature as played out in the mindless greed of big business.

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 28 Mar 2010
Karine (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
An absolutely fascinating piece of investigative journalism. Excellent insight in to the machinations of the politics of the food industry. Also examines the vital role of nutrition in health. Challenges all that empty marketing by the food industry , that we are constantly bombarded with, that showers us with health claims for their products and that often is predicated on our ignorance and our wish to be healthy. Easy to read. Well thought out. Coherent and balanced. Cant recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your life, 11 Oct 2009
Zaz (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is an excellent read for anyone interested in the state of the global food industry. Neatly divided into chapters which focus on topics like "Milk", "Pigs" or "Fish", Felicity Lawrence has done her utmost best to give us an accurate picture of the current state of the food industry. Not biased or persuasive, this book simply tells it how it is and allows the reader to make up their own minds. I'm pretty sure this book will encourage anyone who reads it to rethink the way they buy and consume food, and may also cause them to start spreading the message too (as I have found myself doing!).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›