4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good actually
When I saw the recent review which stated that it was a horrible book, I was expecting not to like it. But I thought it was a light hearted and funny read. I actually quite liked helen, yes she was selfish but arn't we all sometimes, and it makes a change for the main character not to be so heroic. I'd give it go, you just might like it.
Published on 22 Sep 2007 by Z. Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - contains plot spoilers!
Published on 22 Feb 2010 by Laura Dean

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good actually, 22 Sep 2007

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 28 Aug 2007
This review is from: Getting Rid of Matthew (Paperback)
I have to say, I read some of the reviews and upon reflection I think that some of them are a little harsh.
I personally enjoyed it and found it a real page turner. The subject may not be to eveyone's liking but I found it a jolly good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars This One's Good !, 20 April 2007
A. Rose (Devon & Menorca) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Getting Rid of Matthew (Paperback)
If your intrigue is mistresses and affairs then you'll love this book. It's witty and grown up, heartbreaking and sad, bitchy and friendly all at once. It's real life told from many viewpoints and talks a lot of truth and common sense. The main female, Helen, is the mistress and has been for a patient four years. Over a sad Christmas she decides that she's had enough and this is the end for her and Matthew, her boss, whilst Matthew also having a disastrous Christmas decides to leave his wife and two daughters and takes it for granted that he can move in with Helen. Without spoiling the rest of the story for any potential readers, it's quite obvious that Helen's difficulty is trying to get Matthew out of her home and regain her independence without hurting his feelings. I found this book unputdownable - it's an excellent story with loads of wit and clever humour, there's never a dull moment and I can't wait for a second novel from Jane Fallon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good chick-lit book, 12 Sep 2008
This review is from: Getting Rid of Matthew (Paperback)
I was drawn to this book by the cover. I think it those red shoes in contrast with the blue tie, it definitely draws the eye, and I am glad it did.

What to do if Matthew, your secret lover of the past four years, finally decides to leave his wife Sophie and their two daughters and move into your flat, just when you're thinking that you might not want him anymore ...Plan A - Stop shaving your armpits. And your bikini line. Tell him you have a moustache that you wax every six weeks. Stop having sex with him. Pick holes in the way he dresses. Don't brush your teeth. Or your hair. Or pluck out the stray hag-whisker that grows out of your chin. Buy incontinence pads and leave them lying around.Plan B - Accidentally on purpose bump into his wife Sophie. Give yourself a fake name and identity. Befriend Sophie. Actually begin to really like Sophie. Snog Matthew's son (who's the same age as you by the way. You're not a paedophile). Buy a cat and give it a fake name and identity. Befriend Matthew's children. Unsuccessfully watch your whole plan go absolutely horribly wrong. "Getting Rid of Matthew" isn't as easy as it seems, but along the way Helen will forge an unlikely friendship, find real love and realize that nothing ever goes exactly to plan ...

This was a good book. Helen quickly realizes she does not want Matthew and her ways to get rid of him are quirky and funny. This book was irresistible, hard to put down. Every time I did stop reading I was dying to know what was going to happen next.

Helen befriends the ex-wife and forms a lovely friendship. This was the highlight of the book for me, and when her true identity was revealed I nearly cried. Their friendship moved me so much, and made me grateful for my friends.

I didn't like Matthew's character, I could see why she wanted rid of him! He was slimy, a liar and weak and needy, plus old, not attractive. However, his character was well written and I did find myself disliking him and laughing at him.

I had a few problems with this book. The first is how long Helen's secret life panned out, I didn't think that was very realistic. The second was the way the children were written. They are aged 12 and 10 but to be honest it seemed like they were in their teens. And the final thing was I did not like the over-use of bad language.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and was happy to overlook my complaints. This is a great, fun chick lit book.

8/10

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun, Though Provoking Read, 26 Dec 2007
M. Thornton (Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Getting Rid of Matthew (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book more than the average chick lit. The author has a distinctive writing style that is full of warmth and humour despite the sometimes difficult subject matter. I didn't feel that the plot was predictable and I enjoyed the twists and turns in the story. I also liked the way the author switched between the point of view of different characters (particularly Sophie) rather than focusing exclusively on Helen. This gave the story more depth.

Several reviewers have commented regarding the main character and how she is not always a very likeable person. This was actually something I really liked about the book: the honest presentation of a less-than-perfect woman was far more realistic than some of the too wonderful heroines of other novels in this genre. The book challenged my preconceptions about women who have affairs with married men and made me realise that things aren't always as obvious as they seem.

Overall this is unashamedly fluffy but very entertaining and a real page turner that makes ideal holiday reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light-hearted but fun, 28 Sep 2008
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Getting Rid of Matthew (Paperback)
Whilst this book will never win any prizes for literary merit, it has to be said that it is an extremely enjoyable and at time funny read.

A tale of morals, relationships, slip-ups and farce, it centres around Helen whose lover Matthew finally decides to move in with her after a relationship that has already last four years. Having asked for this time and time again, Helen suddenly realises that she no longer wants to live with Matthew. But how to get rid of him is the problem.

There are some very sharp and amusing passages as the plot unfolds and new relationships are forged, whilst others are destroyed. A light book, it does make some serious points and underlying this is the fact that it's simply a very enjoyable book which many people will devour at one or two sittings..

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - contains plot spoilers!, 22 Feb 2010
This review is from: Getting Rid of Matthew (Paperback)
I loved the premise behind this book, but it didn't quite work for me. For starters, there is not a single likeable character: Helen is self-absorbed, sad (with no hobbies except for watching tv), calls her friend at selfish times of day and expects her to just drop everything, resents her excitement at planning for her wedding, has an affair with a married man for four years, is rude to Helen-at-work (the only person who is nice to her) by avoiding going for lunch with her, sneering at the birthday present she is bought by her, and by spreading lies about her. Matthew is a conceited, arrogant, patronising serial adulterer. Even the wife in the story is an ex-mistress herself, responsible for wrecking the marriage of another married man with a child. The one person who should be likeable- the son of Matthew- is interested in Helen even when she knows he has slept with his dad! Had I at least been able to care for one of the characters, I might have enjoyed this book a lot more.

Plot-wise, it's laughable. Matthew's son is conveniently given another pet name by his step-mother, so that Helen doesn't realise who is he even after being introduced to him - and snogs him. Lovely! So she's seeing a married man and his son. Then, despite being absolutely despised at work and likely to be given the most horrendous reference, the author gets round this by having Helen land a cushy new job as a PR manager through a contact. On top of this, the son of her married lover is still keen despite knowing she has bedded his dad, and the stepmum (who had her husband stolen by Helen) not only gives the relationship her blessing but forgives Helen and brings her a birthday cake.

As for the 'hilarious' getting rid of Matthew stage (the Tena ladies and unshaved armpits which are promised on the blurb), well, this is the best bit yet lasts all of one page, before the author moves onto the plot of Helen getting to know Matthew's wife.

All in all, utterly silly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis, 17 Sep 2007
This review is from: Getting Rid of Matthew (Paperback)
When Matthew, Helen's lover of the past four years, finally decides to leave his wife Sophie [and their two young daughter] and move into Helen's flat, she should be over the moon. The only trouble is, she doesn't want him any more. Now she has to figure out how to get rid of him...Getting rid of Matthew isn't as easy as it seems, but along the way Helen will forge an unlikely friendship, find real love and realize that nothing ever goes exactly to plan...

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book - a good story, 29 April 2009
This review is from: Getting Rid of Matthew (Paperback)
An amusing read which had me reading well into the night, toes curling at the mess Helen had got herself into. The book focuses on Helen, a mistress to Matthew for four years, who then leaves his wife and moves in with Helen. This is just as she decides that she doesn't want to see him anymore, so she does what she can to make him leave her (amusingly in places).
A chick lit book which isn't easily forgotten. Helen befriends Matthews wife (Sophie) by creating a new identity for herself, which leads to Helen being entangled with her two identities with Matthews son Leo, step-son to Sophie. I was in suspense for most of the book waiting for Helen to get caught out, and wasn't let down by the ending.
A great book - a good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 2 Dec 2007
Marlene Butler ""girlie girl"" (sherborne dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getting Rid of Matthew (Paperback)
enjoyed this book very much funny +well written + NO NOT predictable at all. Beware ladies who think having an affair is exciting romantic + fun.This book will make you think twice believe me. Do not usually go for these sort of books but so pleased I did GREAT bring us more please.

Getting Rid of Matthew
Getting Rid of Matthew by Jane Fallon (Paperback - 4 Jan 2007)