Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 May 2007
I have spent the last week making various thing from this fantastic book- my colleagues at work are now all putting it on their christmas lists as a result.(and going on diets as a result of all the taste testings they have been doing!) The recipes are simple, straightforward, inspiring and DIFFERENT. I am a mad recipe book collector, but find so many books incredibly repetitive in style, either that or really pretentious. I think it would make a great present as well.
on 24 April 2007
The layout for this book is what inspired me to buy it, the recipes split into sections such as things to cook when you are feeling lazy, things to cook when you want to be healthy etc. I have only owned this book for a month & have already made 6 or 7 of the dishes, every single one of them was a winner. Particular favourites being the chianti baked meatballs & slow roast honey & ginger duck. Dishes thast look & taste amazing but so simple to make, this book is suitable for a novice right up to an expert. I have already bought this book as a gift for 2 of my friends & others can expect it too!
on 4 July 2007
I don't know which I want to eat more - the food in Jo's book or the book itself! The presentation of this book is so moreish and the recipes are easy to follow, delicious and perfect for all occasions. This is a book to grace your shelves if no other!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 December 2010
This is a nice enough book but, in my view, it is nowhere near as good as Jo Pratt's other book, 'In the Mood for Entertaining'. There are some lovely recipes but, for me, a lot of things I will never use or which I could put together easily without a recipe. I should perhaps mention that I am a keen, experienced cook with 350+ cookery books which undoubtedly affects my view.

I didn't like the layout which is divided into sections based on mood e.g. In the Mood for Being Healthy, In the Mood for some Comfort, In the Mood for Romance. Some of these chapters contain complete menus which some might find useful. This sort of structure just doesn't work for me - I would rather have all starters, mains, etc in one place, so that when I'm flicking through, looking for inspiration for a particular course, I can rapidly see everything. I found it particularly annoying that desserts were spread out all through the book, especially when there already was a chapter called 'In the Mood for Something Naughty but Nice' containing puds, cakes, etc.

The recipes themselves are fine, although I felt that there was a preponderance of desserts, puddings and various types of drinks and comparatively few main course dishes. To give you a flavour of the recipes here is a selection. Main courses include Chianti baked meatballs; a very nice cheese, onion & potato pie; tomato, ricotta & basil tart; parmesan-crusted chicken with avocado salad; creamy caramelized onion & parmesan pasta. Soups included frozen pea & mascarpone soup; cauliflower cheese soup; chilled watermelon & pepper soup. Turning to the sweet stuff, of which there is plenty, I loved the white choc & macadamia cookies, there is a fabulous chocolate triple hit (very rich chocolate tart with chocolate orange pastry & served with malted milk chocolate ice-cream); marshmallow meringues with mango, passion fruit & raspberries; passion fruit & lime meringue pie.

The recipes are pretty straightforward and use easily available ingredients. I think it might be a excellent book for inexperienced cooks - the instructions are clear, the photography is of the type to inspire you to cook.

I would have rated as 3 ½ stars but Amazon won't let me.
on 9 February 2007
I bought this book only two weeks ago, initially because I liked the design and finish when I picked it up in the bookshop. I'd been looking for something to revive my interest in the kitchen after the excess of Christmas. The recipes are really clearly laid out and I love the way they're organized into different states of mind. The author really encourages you to try everything and it's a little like having a friend in the kitchen showing you how to make that great tasting, impressive dish they always seem to whip up when you pop round and you've always wanted to know how to make.

It's motivated me to get my kitchen utensils back out and stop relying upon Leon for my meals. My mum's definitely receiving a copy for mother's day too.
on 26 October 2007
I am addicted to buying cookery books, but so many end up staying on the shelf with perhaps one dish being cooked from it. Not this one! First of all, the book looks so lovely and is a real joy to read. There is a good variety of recipes, and they are eay to follow. I have only had the book a week and already tried three of the recipes and they were all gorgeous. My fave so far is the Chicken and leak pies. I have another couple already picked out to try this week!

I think one of the best things about this book is that it is so varied. I have some books that are great with more traditioal recipes, some that are great for healthy choices, some for puddings etc but this has a really good mix. I would dip into this if I wanted an idea for a quick lunch for myself, a family meal or for when entertaining friends.
on 21 February 2009
I bought this book as all the pictures of the food looked yummy. I also liked the way the book was sectioned up. So depending how you feel or what kind of meal you are having you can easily find something to suit. Every recipe i've tried from this book has worked very well. The instructions are easy to follow & there is a picture for nearly every meal (i feel this really helps when cooking - something to aim for!) The ingredients are fairly straight forward, nothing too fancy. Whether you are throwing a dinner party or stuck in on your own for the night you'll find something you'll love.
My favourite recipes so far are the Prawn & Avocado Champagne Tempura, Marshmallow Meringues & Baked Breakfast Baguette (can't describe how yummy this is).
VINE VOICEon 28 October 2007
I recently came across Jo's recipes in Glamour magazine where she has started writing a monthly food section. She did a really great piece on recipes to impress simply with ingredients from your corner shop. I was really impressed and at the end of the article it advertised her book. I had a flick through in Waterstones and really liked it so I went online and bought it (at The Book People for £7, bargain!)

This book is just fabulous, really girly, an ideal present for any girl leaving home. It is really nicely laid out with lovely colour photos and pretty patterns on each page. Even if you're not an avid cook it'd still make a lovely book for the coffee table!

The book is laid out in 6 sections, or moods as Jo calls them.

In the mood for:

- Being Healthy
- Something Naughty but Nice
- Some Comfort
- Being Lazy
- Being Extravagant
- Being Romantic

I think it's a really novel idea as I tend to always flick to the 'lazy' section! There's also a full index for when you're looking for a recipe or by ingredient.

It covers every aspect of cooking as well, from dinner party diet food to cooking for one and is a great all rounder.

The book is really laid back with a little intro for each recipe and a PS section that explains alternative ingredients to add to the recipe or idea for side dishes. There is also a wine recommendation at the bottom of each page so you get a wine guide and cookbook in one!

If you're anything like me and you cook the same dozen recipes over and over then this book is excellent as it has twists on old favourites and some adventurous recipes too. All the recipes I've cooked so far have been so simple and a pleasure to eat too (and I really am a work in progress cook!).

These recipes are guaranteed to please and give maximum impact for minimum effort. This is an excellent book for busy mums and beginner cooks, I would thoroughly recommend it, and have already bought it as a present for a friend. I only hope Jo brings out another one!
on 8 December 2009
This is, quite simple, THE best recipe book I have ever had! Everything I have ever made (which is well over half of the book) has been really delicious. Her measurements are spot on, as are her cooking times and the tips at the bottom include ways to adapt the recipe successfully. It's really well written to make the recipes simple to cook and she's so down to earth too.

I love the chicken, leek and ham pie, honey sesame salmon noodles, indian prawns, mini cream slices and beef and ale with horseradish dumplings. Oh the satay broth is a really quick and tasty after work dish too.

Most definately a fantastic buy. I've bought it a few times as a gift with some ingredients and people have loved it! Happy cooking!!
on 11 July 2009
This book has literally changed the way we eat. Because of work, I often don't get to even start cooking our evening meal until 8.00 p.m. or later, so often resorted to convenience foods and takeaways. Not since I found this book. The recipes are quick, simple and so delicious. Every recipe I've tried - and I've done five of them in the past week - has worked beautifully and comes out looking like the photograph, which is no mean feat for me!!All the ingredients are readily available, so no hunting the shops, and, a big plus - my shopping bill was much much lower last week. I've already bought her second book, In the Mood for Entertaining and will definitely buy anything else Jo Pratt produces - my new heroine!