5.0 out of 5 stars Uncompromising, brutal, selfish and moving

Published on 3 July 2009 by Ms. J. Lovatt

3.0 out of 5 stars Honest account on annorexia, 3 July 2009
Ms. J. Lovatt (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thin (Paperback)
This book is a real life story of graces battle with annorexia. Its honest and she tells it exactly how it is but by about half way through the book i was ready for it to end. Not only is the book too drawn out a repetative it is written in a bit of a mess. There are sections written as her now looking back then there are sections of her as she was them but speaking about herself in 3rd person and there are sections written like a script for a play and each section seemed to say the same kinds of things as the last section in its style. The book was interesting and she told her story very honestly and it was insightful but it felt a bit like she dragged it all out to make it book length and a lot of it didnt need to be in there. I think she was very brave and it must have taken a lot of stength to tell the world her secrets but i got bored after a while. Its worth a try if you want to find out what its like to have the condition but you will need patience to get to the end

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncompromising, brutal, selfish and moving, 13 Feb 2007
I. Curry "IDC" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Thin (Paperback)
I have never had an eating disorder, never suffered the mental whirring of calculating calories, self-castigation for consumption and the wrenching anxiety from having inadvertently `lost control' and digested fats. I have nether been voluntarily sick following a meal, trying to expel the poisons that I have polluted my body with. But thanks to this book I feel I understand the condition a lot better, and I would recommend the book to anyone who was interested in, concerned about or suffering from anorexia nervosa or any eating disorder.

I came to this book by a recommendation from a psychologist friend. I am writing a book about my own battle with various forms of anxiety, and when I described it she insisted I read this account. This review is intended to provide a review of the book as a standalone work, regardless of how useful it was for my own writing.

Bowman writes with a candid intimacy that is summed up in the opening line. "If I tell you a secret, do you promise to tell the whole world?" It is a very apt and poignant statement - those suffering from mental illness, in all its varying forms and in all their millions upon millions, tend to do so in a void. Afraid to tell anyone else, afraid to confide and completely unsure as to how to cope. Books like Bowman's not only cast light on the subject for the unaware, but are invaluable lifelines for those suffering. Unlike self-help books they don't aim to change or cure. They just give another point of view, a window into another sufferer's experience and the important realisation that you are far from alone.

Bowman's own problems began as a late teen. She was successful and happy, and should have easily coasted into university and on to a comfortable life. Both fortunately and unfortunately she didn't. Unfortunately for all the suffering she has been through and overcome. Fortunately for being able to write about it in a literary, yet accessible way.

The book is not a strict narrative account of the condition. She deviates into entertaining dramatic scripts of supposed encounters, where she reveals the `inner' voice of Grace, the anorexic voice that is urging her to ever greater feats of self-denial and control. She details some of the science and the thinking behind the condition, gives the consideration and intelligent focus that she, as a sufferer, would have subjected herself to.

This book is gritty and uncompromising, although not in the ruthlessly bleak way of a Million Little Pieces. It is alive with self-awareness, but not self-pity. And ultimately it is hopeful. Bowman's survival and subsequent success gives hope to all those who have suffered.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Shape of my Own, 28 Mar 2006
By A Customer
A beautifully written, poignant account of someone struggling not only to come to terms with anorexia but also to find their sense of meaning and centre in the world. Not having experienced anorexia myself, but having been witness to good friends struggling with it, gave me a sensitive and deep insight into what goes on behind hidden doors. The opening line with stay with me forever, and the wonderful ending of hope and recovery brings inspiration to us all. I couldn't put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars A factual and informative account, 8 April 2008
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thin (Paperback)
'Thin' is very different from what I was expecting. I have read a lot of different memoirs over the years dealing with differing aspects of people's lives and it's nice when you come along different ones along the way. This is one of them. It reads as a cross between research, autobiography and reference but with a young woman's emotion in there for good measure.

I think this was published in hard back just before turning 30, so what a milestone that would've been. There is only one criticism of the book that I have and that's at times you don't really get to see the harshness of the reality of society - I can imagine her friends being accepting of her but she never discusses how people responded to her for example on holiday in her swimsuit.

It is extremely well written and I was actually able to sit and read it in one sitting, I do confess to skipping the playscripts as I didn't like those bits which is why I have given it 4 stars instead of 5. As I haven't had any personal involvement with eating disorders I can't confirm how accurate it is, all I can say is I found it interesting and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and insightful, 11 Feb 2007
V. Edwards - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thin (Paperback)
Grace Bowman is to be commended for her honest description of not only the effects of this illness on the sufferer but also on those around them. As an 'ex anorexic'(as she describes herself) too I was both touched and inspired by her story which quite apart from the subject matter is one of the best written books I have read in a very long time. Her style of writing and use of language further illustrate the complexities of an illness usually very difficult to explain but done almost effortlessly by Grace. It is a must read for anyone who is living with, lived through or supports someone who is living with or has lived through Anorexia Nervosa.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sack the editor, 4 Feb 2013
C. Castle (Huddersfield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thin (Kindle Edition)
Grace Bowman, like most of those who suffer from anorexia, is a very clever woman. However, her determination to show off her writing skills in this interesting and extremely honest memoir detract from the message somewhat. There's a schizophrenic feel to this book - jumping in and out of tenses and perspectives. Whilst it is clever, and I'm sure is supposed to mirror the detachment and dissociation that can accompany anorexia, I found it irritating and distracting. I lay the blame at the feet of the editor rather than the author though - the writing and message are strong, just presented in a manner which to me, was over-written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Story, 10 Mar 2006
By A Customer
OMG what a book to read!. This story of Grace Bowman life is just out of this world and the way she fight back with her eating problem. This book really hits your heart and makes you relise that a lot of people suffer from eating problems.
Also once you have started reading Grace story you dont want to stop.
This is the best book for me so far!.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational read, 23 May 2006
I've never written a review before but felt compelled to do so with this one. I thought this book was beautifully written but also struck a chord with me. I think it will for many women. It was powerful and moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique and brilliant page-turner, 11 Mar 2006
I've read a few books on this subject but this one is different. Grace goes right back inside the mindset of anorexia to show you what it feels like in a way that no other book has managed to do. I think it might just help friends and relatives of sufferers to understand more. I think lots of people will identify with it even if they have never had an eating disorder. It's brilliantly written too.

4.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must read, 22 Feb 2007
Ms. M. E. Brady (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thin (Paperback)
Thin is an amazing insight into an illness that is often kept hushed and never mentioned. Grace explains her battle with anorexia in such a way that you almost feel like you are living her obsession of food with her. I really struggled to put this book down and it is now currently doing the rounds at my work. Anyone that wants to know more about anorexia or has just had a passing interest in it should read this book as it will open your eyes to the myths and truths about something that otherwise is glossed over.

Thin
Thin by Grace Bowman (Paperback - 25 Jan 2007)
6.99