Format: PaperbackChange

on 20 February 2012
I finished this book last night in the small hours after being unable to put it down, this is particularly odd as I didn't think much of the first half and was considering abandoning it. The idea of the vengeful doctor using the DNA of his daughters murderer (which he conveniently and accidentally received from the police with her personal effects) to clone the killer was both mental and brilliant. However, the book seemed to meander around the point for quite a while without very much pace or progression until the part with the video game began which was even more original and weird than the main premise of the novel. It is quite silly and melodramatic in places but also quite depressing. The ending is pretty good and I kept thinking about it for a while afterwards as it was quite sad and quite surprising and I'm glad I continued reading. For something that was on the surface a pretty easy read and a bit daft it actually posed some pretty good moral questions by the end.
on 18 March 2008
The premise: A Doctor, specialising in cloning as an alternative to adoption and fertiltiy treatment, receives the DNA of his daughter's rapist and murderer. The authorities have thus far been able to produce any viable suspects, so with the perpetrators DNA to hand, the Doctor opts to clone his daughters killer thus surveying the child from birth through adolesence.

This was a fantastic read, and although somewhat in the realm of science fiction, the cloning practices are completely medically plausible today but for international red tape on moral and ethical grounds.

As an avid reader, this book has remained memorable over a month after I completed it. Guilfoile is a talented and innovative writer, deserving of a vast readership.
on 8 January 2009
Every once in a while I come across a book like this and thank the stars I bought it. Put quite simply, it's one of the best reads I've had since "Bad Monkeys".

And to think the first time I picked it up in my local bookstores basement I put it down...

The premise is one I wish I'd thought up myself and the writing style and prose is the kind that draws you in so that you have to turn the pages. (I read it two sittings). The concept is sci-fi but if that puts you off don't worry - it is our modern world the events are set in.

So do yourself a favour and read the few pages. Then get it.
on 23 February 2007
i loved this book i couldn't put it down it was amzing it takes you on a complete rollercoaster of emotionas throughout the book, its a never resting in the story line, and there is always something going at some point. An amazing read. highly recommended, easily one of the best books i have read.