5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps a Masterpiece
This is a comprehensive, poetic and beautifully written account of how loss affects us and and what the job of mourning entails. Drawing on clinical findings, popular culture and the literature of grief, Leader's investigation into this subject is always sensitive and intelligent and often startling. His insights and wisdom both delight and console.
On a personal...
Published on 28 Feb. 2008 by A delighted reader

3.0 out of 5 stars First half just excellent but part two gobbledegook
I was so pleased when this book explained the lack of modern understanding of sadness and grief and then off it went at a tangent that even I with OU qualification in mental health could not follow.

Read poetry instead
Published 11 months ago by C. Spencer Weatherley

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps a Masterpiece, 28 Feb. 2008
On a personal level I have been thinking about my own losses for the best part of my life, yet Leader's book made me see important parallels and distinctions that would never otherwise have occurred to me.
This book not only revives important and neglected dialogues, reinforcing and reinterpreting Freud's famous treatise on this subject, it actually makes you feel better! The New Black is a book that needed to be written, for in the prevalent culture, I believe, we feel even more uncertain about how to position ourselves in relation to our losses than ever before. This is a distinguished work, and a lovely one, which people will be reading for many many years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars a welcome sophisticated approach to depression, 17 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia and Depression (Paperback)
Darian Leader has produced a book on depression that complicates and refreshes ideas on depression and mourning by reinvigorating older psychoanalytic theories and thinking on depression and introduces the reader to continental psychoanalytic thought that explores some of complexities apparent in the subjective experience of depression. The rhetoric against the current politics of NHS psychotherapies and the critique of CBT for depression is less convincing, primarily because his understanding of CBT is simplistic, which is why i did not give this book 5 out of 5. This does not take away from the value of this book which deserves to be read and perhaps will serve to shake down clinicians, theorists and therapists of any persuasion or affilation of the predominating influence of anglo-american 'positivist-empiricism'and its hold on the current 'language'and understanding of depression. A compassionate, thought-provoking book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you very much, Darian Leader, 27 May 2008
If Only You Knew (Stroud, Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
I've never typed a review on Amazon before but I have to give my support to this book. It is so important. Death and loss are around us every day and yet their existence is denied. In this book Darian Leader writes clearly, intelligently, concisely and thoughtfully about loss and about the process of grieving. This book explained so many things to me that I could never have worked out for myself. It may not be designed as a self help book but it is a book which does help. If people listend to Darian Leader we would have very much less depression and unhappiness in our society. Yes, you should definitely read this book. I'm about to read it for a second time because there is so much in it that I couldn't take it all in the first time around.

4.0 out of 5 stars One to come back to, 6 Jan. 2010
This is a book that makes more and more sense to me as I get older and experience loss both for myself and that of others. On first reading I was sceptical about some of the importance attached to loss and grief in the book, but in the couple of years since I have come back to it on several occassions and have developed a much greater respect for its key arguments. For anyone in a family that has been affected by grief there are likely to be some answers and helpful pointers in explaining the thoughts and behaviours of you and those around you. A really thought provoking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars NHS psychotherapist, 2 May 2009
I greatly enjoyed this book. What is most outstanding us how Darian Leader brings very complex ideas alive through examples from his clinic. A welcome anecdote to the simplistic ideas that often predominate depression discourse in such times.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book ever!, 9 Aug. 2009
Hen the chick (London, England) - See all my reviews
Mourning, melancholia and depression are words which are thrown around in society every day but very few people actually know the diferences between them. Darian LEADER describes every point from every angle possible, on mourning, melancholia and depression. He includes example from art, greek mythology, architecture and anthropologists to high light points he is making whilst showing that psychology is everywhere. he argues everypoint he makes or finds, and he does so in a way that will leave you speechless. Darian Leader is an amazing writer, and brings life to a subject which is morbid in nature. This was the first book of his i have read and will certanly NOT be the last!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 6 Feb. 2013
This book is very interesting and helps explore a range of ideas, in a simplistic way. Useful for dissertation work or even as a personal read.

5.0 out of 5 stars memory, 12 Aug. 2010
Leader's literary and metaphoric approach towards our dealings with death and melancholia challenge us to re-live and re-interpret our own emotional and personal histories and gives us at the same time a valuable depiction of fundamental and so often unconcious cultural shifts.

3.0 out of 5 stars First half just excellent but part two gobbledegook, 3 April 2014

Read poetry instead

4.0 out of 5 stars summary., 22 Mar. 2014
Interesting and direct I feel Darian to be very knowledgeable and purposeful with his choice of published information, I found this also with other books that I purchased from the same author.

The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia and Depression
The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia and Depression by Darian Leader (Paperback - 29 Jan. 2009)