Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 June 2012
I personally was disappointed, there was very little of the author's travels, compared to the pages attributed to Herodotus.
I tried I really did but in the end, I was just not that interested and found myself skipping forward looking for the author's anecdotes and travel experiences.
I think this would be much more suitable as an extended foreword or preface to the Histories book itself!
on 2 June 2013
I think when you've read a lot of Kapuscinski the bar is automatically very high. I did enjoy reading "Travels with Herodotus" but not quite as much as some of his other books hence 4 rather than 5 stars. I really enjoyed the parts of the book that were purely Kapuscinski's travels and accounts but found it harder to get into the Herodotus parts. Still all up an excellent book.
on 26 August 2012
Kapuscinski is/was a master travel writer, and my particular favourite. This book covers his early years as a foreign correspondent for a Polish newspaper, primarily in Asia and Africa. In this book he takes with him on his travels Herodotus' 2500 year old book The Histories - which is apparently the first book ever to be written about the people of the then known world.

I would have given this book 5 stars for the author's writing, but it drops a star for me simply by virtue of the fact that there are significant passages from The Histories which are interesting and relevant, but not the work of RK.

Sometimes I found myself in awe of the writing (for which the translation must get a lot of credit too). I'll just give one example (it is fom the last 3 or 4 pages so easy to find)...
"A provincial is one whose worldview is shaped by a certain marginal area to which he ascribes an undue importance, inaptly universalizing the particular". Perfect.
on 10 November 2014
I enjoyed this book. At times it felt a little exhausting reading the seemingly endless quotations of Herodotus, but felt that Kapuscinkski wove this into his own personal experiences with style and poise. Kapuscinski obviously lead a rather interesting life and at times I think I would have rather read about this than Herodotus'. Nevertheless, an extremely worthwhile read, full of insightful observations, rich and beautiful depictions, sprinkled with dashes of innocent humour.
on 14 March 2015
An enjoyable light read. Good to get another national's perspective as a visitor to other countries. Didn't really go anywhere or go into any great depth, but I guess it was not intended to do that. Nevertheless well written and translated.
on 19 November 2014
An amazing work from an incredible writer. Kapuscinski writes about his encounters with humanity in a way that few can. by interweaving his narratives with tales from Herodotus he adds an even deeper level of understanding and insight.
on 8 December 2013
I enjoyed this so much I have o;rdered two more copies for Christmas presents. A bit like Alastiair Cooke's letters from America - one thought or incident leads to another and it is all fascinating.
on 16 March 2016
Somewhat disappointed as I expected more personal accounts and reflections and not long quotes from Herodotus but it clearly shows his early source of inspiration for his own journalistic forays.
on 21 June 2016
Once again Kapucinski breathes life into history with his descriptions. This one parallels his travels with his readings of Herodotus demonstrating the millennia old issues we still face today.
on 19 February 2014
Kapuscinski brings vividly to life a lost period of history with amazing anecdotes as he follows the paths traced out by his hero.