4.0 out of 5 stars England: The Autobiography: The Review
Published on 24 Aug 2007 by D. Halls

3.0 out of 5 stars a good book
I quite liked this book but some areas I thought were a bit weak. A general reading book for those not wanting to look too deeply into history.
Published 13 months ago by M Rushby

4.0 out of 5 stars England: The Autobiography: The Review, 24 Aug 2007
D. Halls (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: England: The Autobiography: 2,000 Years of English History by Those Who Saw it Happen (Paperback)
In short, I like it. This book focuses on some of the most famous occurrences in English history (the Roman Conquest, Battle of Hastings, the Industrial Revolution, the Blitz). It doesn't however, just retell these stories from a historian's viewpoint; it very cleverly tells the story of English history by piecing together articles written by those who witnessed it firsthand.

Admittedly, i am very keen on history, particularly that involving history relative to myself. This book however, gave me a sense of patriotism that the standard history textbooks don't give. I can't really explain why, but the way the book is set out just works!

One issue i do have though is the inclusion of modern events. I know there are more articles to choose from to describe modern events, but i really wouldn't class "England's Ashes win over Australia" in 2006 as on the same level at sculpting our English heritage as the Norman Conquest.

Even so, this comes highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly browsable collection of eye-witness reports, 28 Nov 2010
An enjoyble collection of first hand pieces which build together to give a really vivid portrait of England. The editor's links provide narrative, so I found I could dip into the book - or read it page after page. I bought this book because I'd already bought a book on the Great war by the author and was as plesed with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 26 Aug 2011
Martynrb (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
I expected this to be a bit of a mish-mash, potboiler of a book with cobbled together bits and bobs. I thought I would be disappointed - but I wasn't at all. The different glimpses into our history are well chosen, and the fact that the stories are being told by eye-witnesses to the events in every case is a great way of learning about the different periods and events. The individual itens are all of an easily readable length, and each time I finished one I found I just wanted to keep moving on to the next one! This is a must for anyone even remotely, vaguely interested in history!

4.0 out of 5 stars Need to know more about English history, 1 May 2014
So far so good as I dip in and out of this whenever I have time and this is well written without being heavy..

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 26 Feb 2014
Having read the London one by the same author led me to purchase this. I am not disappointed, an easy read with graphical accounts that you can pick up and put down and continue as you wish.

3.0 out of 5 stars a good book, 11 Jun 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 17 Mar 2013
A lot of ground is covered in this one book. I enjoyed the journey, from the invasion of the Romans to the Ashes Cricket victory in 2005. Many of the authentic texts give a real insight into the events of the day such as: when Stanley met Livingstone, last moments of Nelson's life 'kiss me Hardy', life in a Manchester slum 1844, the Christmas day truce 1914 in the trenches, and many more. On the other hand many of the texts are long and not that interesting, i found myself skimming many of them. on the whole and enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A detailed history of England, 8 Mar 2013
A good reference book that is useful if you are working on a story or project that has some reference to the history of England and its people.

10.39