5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and an interesting read, 12 Sept. 2009
Alison "Kindle Allie" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Wal-Mart Effect: How an Out-of-town Superstore Became a Superpower (Paperback)
I generally don't read business books but I was glad I picked this one up. A surprisingly good read with plenty of interesting and insightful information about the Wal-Mart empire. Fishman gives a generally balanced view in spite of the closed nature and lack of transparency of the Wal-Mart corporation.

Fishman often uses anecdotes and metaphorical examples to illustrate his points and one that stuck out to me by the end of the book was his comparison of Wal-Mart to the automobile. We love our cars and the convenience and freedom they give us but we know that we must change our use of the car to reduce our carbon emissions - likewise Wal-Mart is popular even with customers that don't like it because the prices are good. However, we see that we must change our shopping habits as reducing prices have the knock-on effects of shifting manufacturing to China etc.

Just as we ask ourselves questions of the environmental impact of our use of the car we should ask ourselves of the impact of the superstore (and not just Wal-Mart) on our immediate environment and culture. As Fishman says "Do we value cheap merchandise more than good factory jobs?", "Do we value convenience... more than charming main streets with local shopkeepers" and most importantly, "Do we want a single company to have the reach and power that Wal-Mart has - a power that right now is accountable to no one?".

Thought provoking stuff and a good read too. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 18 Sept. 2009
L. M. Keane "louisemiriam" (Stockholm) - See all my reviews
Fascinating, even-handed, carefully researched and well written. A must for anyone who goes shopping and wants to know more about what they are buying and the ethos behind it. It really changed my approach to shopping. I now pay a little more to shop elsewhere, outside the big supermarkets, whenever at all possible. And I'm more careful with my food - no more giant sized packs of everything - so I throw away less, and yet my overall food bills have NOT gone up. And you know what, when you shop in small shops, people talk to you?!! Thanks to the writer of this book for changing my life a little for the better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fair, balanced and informative, 7 Mar. 2011
L. Davidson (Trondheim, Norway) - See all my reviews
This was a much more balanced account of the walmart principle that I was expecting. I picked it because of a term paper i am working on and was very happy with it. Good accounts of both the positive and negative sides of the effect of walmart. His examples were interesting, informative and well written to illustrate his point. My only criticism would be that some of the material is outdated, because of things Walmart has done to address some of the issues brought up in the book. I also bought The New Walmart (Michael Demarines) and read that one first. I should have read the Walmart Effect first, and then the New Walmart after as it was more current. However, I would recommend this (and both books) to anyone interested in learning about the effect of Walmart who is tired of reading overly one-sided accounts. I was happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Found it fascinating, 27 Dec. 2012
The Walmart effect truly is an interesting and fascinating read -
The book captured me from the start and made me think differently about from where I buy.

The Wal-Mart Effect: How an Out-of-town Superstore Became a Superpower