5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness is over rated, 1 Dec 2004
Andrew Nairne (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wee Book of Calvin: Air-Kissing in the North-East (Paperback)
This a true original and everyone in your family should have one beside their bedside candle (before accidently burning the cottage down).We need Bill Duncan and I hope he will take this book and preach with it far and wide and beyond the wild borders of Carnoustie.
Next time you glance at those prissy little books at the counter remember Arbroath on a dreich day. You will feel better for feeling worse.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book For Yiz All, 14 Mar 2005
If you're walkin' aboot wi a droopit moo in some far off land; and need a bit of a lift, this is the book fir you.
Plenty of aphorisms that you have probably not heard or used for a while but understand completely as Bill Duncan resurects them in his "Wee Book of Calvin."
Whenever you're surrounded by PC, "happy" people; pick this up and have a wee greet ti yirsel. You'll feel the better fir it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest books I've ever read, 31 Jan 2009
MLA (Wien, Österreich) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Wee Book of Calvin has become my go-to self-help guide whenever I'm feeling troubled. The dour and biting commentary it sets up matches my own opinions so frequently that I can't help but laugh at myself whenever I pick it up for another dip in.

The Wee Book is a series of anecdotes and quotes designed to describe the austere life view that permeates through much of Scottish society and in doing so expertly parodies the pointless self-help industry. I personally enjoy flicking through quote after quote that hammers home the worldview held by those for whom the sun is not always our friend.

Quotes such as "Hope is the dream o aa foolish man" or "Keep your heid doon lest ye meet the Devil's stare" speak not only of the cutting perspective but also of the pernicious influence of a religion that no longer holds sway in terms of but still wields an aspiration limiting approach.

While I prefer the quotes to the narrative, the storyline itself follows the same path in reinforcing the low esteem conformity and the desire to hide any sense of deviating from the bitter Calvinist approach. What narrative there is has a pervading sense of sadness, the domineering righteousness of the traditionalist characters such as the Grandfather overcome efforts to break the mould and see things differently.

The final chapter - Are You A Calvinist was so on the money and I've always enjoyed the "if you [do X] then you might just be [Y]" comedy when it hits truth. Yes, according to that chapter I am most definitely a Calvinist.

Having enjoyed this thoroughly I had Smiling School for Calvinists bought for me. Though I didn't read that book for 18 months when I finally got round to it, Duncan's same understanding made it well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trust a Fifer to Look on the Bright Side!, 1 Dec 2004
By A Customer
Weel, as ma Granny wuld say 'wurst things happen at sea' (and as a fisherman's daughter, she knew).
Every silver lining has a cloud and the author does an excellent job of reminding us of them.
A refreshing change from the feelgood psycho dribble....and an excellent Christmas present for all your true friends....
'Be happy while yer liven fer yer a lang time deed'

5.0 out of 5 stars amusing wee book, 5 April 2014
the wisdom of being guile its all in this wee book well worth the read and gives a good chuckle

5.0 out of 5 stars Why be happy when you can be miserable, 10 Feb 2013
Growing up I heard at lot of these sayings, or variations of these sayings, from the mouths of grandmothers, grandfathers, great aunts and the like. At the time the words filled me with just the right amount of dread, however, revisiting them in this format I had quite the opposite reaction. It's very rare that a book makes me laugh out loud, but Bill Duncan's collection had me in stitches.

Most certainly worth a look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get a grip, 28 Dec 2012
Valuable lessons in self hate, fear and loathing rather than the usual pious self-help nonsense;)
Funny and interesting but I do come from north east of Scotland so it resonates

5.0 out of 5 stars Wee Book of Calvin, 18 Aug 2012
Esssential reading for all those who like to take their pleasures misserably. Just the book to make sure you don't take life too chearfuly. A great laugh!

The Wee Book of Calvin: Air-Kissing in the North-East
The Wee Book of Calvin: Air-Kissing in the North-East by Bill Duncan (Paperback - 4 Nov 2004)