5.0 out of 5 stars First class!
Published on 13 July 2009 by AntW4

3.0 out of 5 stars How To Break Your Own Heart
Published on 16 Nov. 2009 by Leah Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars First class!, 13 July 2009
This review is from: How to Break Your Own Heart (Paperback)
Maggie's latest offering won't disappoint. I have just finished reading it and loved it. I have been a huge fan of Maggie since 'Pants on Fire' and while this novel has some similarities (the OOT gay friend etc), it is set in and around London and carries with it a much more familiar English feel. It was great to read references to all the familiar places around town where you can get a real sense for the characters' environment. From hob nobbing in Holland Park to dining it up at the Wolseley. Maggie always mixes her good humour with some serious issues and 'How to Break' tackles the subject of emotional abuse via many different angles. I don't want to give the impression that the book leans to the depressive - it doesn't. It manages to take you through such issues, just enough to make you think more about the loved ones in your life, your own situation and then leave you with a proper sense of redemption. More please Maggie!!

3.0 out of 5 stars How To Break Your Own Heart, 16 Nov. 2009
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How to Break Your Own Heart (Paperback)
Amelia Bradlow has been married to Ed for fifteen years. When Amelia's friend Kiki asks her why she and Ed sleep in separate beds, Amelia is stumped. Kiki's question forces Amelia to take a long, hard look at her marriage and what it has become. Not only that but up re-appears Joseph Hardwick, the first boy Amelia kissed, and she finds she's still attracted to him. Will Amelia stick with Ed or will she take a chance for Joseph?

The book starts with the question, "Do you always sleep in separate beds?" and I was easily sucked in. Kiki's question wasn't her being nosey, I don't think, but more her being curious as to why a couple, married for 15 years, slept in separate beds. It was an interesting way to start the book, I have to say and it gives us the plot of the whole book in one single sentence; I don't mean that in a bad way, either. We're quickly introduced to Amelia and over the first few chapters we find out just how Amelia and Ed met, in France, and it was quite a romantic story, actually. I loved hearing how he'd practically whisked her away from where she was staying and they then roamed around the French countryside visiting vineyards. I could feel Ed's passion for wine and see how easily Amelia fell in love with him. Maggie then brings us back to the present day and I can also, sort of, see how Amelia and Ed have fallen into a rut; sleeping in separate beds in separate bedrooms, Amelia tiring of the whole wine thing, and then the big one: Amelia wanting a child. It's pretty obvious from the off that Amelia would like a child but I thought Ed explained himself well when saying he didn't want children and of what we learn from his childhood, you can kind of see why.

It's Kiki, Amelia's new friend, who really brightens up Amelia's life. You can see that instantly. Kiki changes the way Amelia feels about herself, she brings Amelia's sparkle back and she also, in her own way, is the catalyst for Amelia's career-change. Amelia might be the one narrating the story to us but it's Kiki who brings the whole thing to life. She's loud, she could potentially get on your nerves, but she's also a really great friend. I could see why Ed wasn't a fan of Kiki though; after all, she was changing the image and total persona of the woman he loved and he could do little about it, but I myself loved Kiki. Everything she does for Amelia is for Amelia's own good whether Amelia or Ed see it that way or not. Kiki also has a secret which is incredibly sad, which adds to the seriousness of the book. As I mentioned above, Amelia's father is kind of mean. He came across as controlling and, although it's never mentioned, I'd have thought maybe a bit violent. I wish we'd had a scene in the book where Amelia or Dick stood up to him, I felt like he needed to be told a few home truths. He was truly repulsive.

I did enjoy the book, don't get me wrong, but for me it wasn't as good as Mad About The Boy. Amelia was likeable enough, absolutely, but I ended up getting annoyed at her as the book drew to a close and she still couldn't/wouldn't make her mind up. I also don't get the fact that after 15 years of marriage she wasn't aware her husband didn't want children. The book was well written, though, which can always make a book more enjoyable. Maggie's writing seems to flow easily so her books are incredibly easy to get into. It's just a shame I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 13 July 2009
S. Graville - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Break Your Own Heart (Paperback)
If you're heading for a sun lounger any time soon, make sure you pack this book. Glamorous and sexy, it's an easy-to-read slice of escapism that will have you turning the pages faster than you can say "Manolo". There's a serious side to it too, but perfectly balanced with the Mayfair-tastic gloss. I loved it. Bring on the next one, Ms Alderson.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to Break Your Own Heart, 21 Sept. 2009
N. Salerno "Nins" (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Break Your Own Heart (Paperback)
A great quick read. Read it straight on long haul flight as it is one that you won't want to put down. A realistic situation that keeps you wanting to know what will happen next and putting yourself in Amelia's shoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 3 Nov. 2009
This review is from: How to Break Your Own Heart (Paperback)
I was having a stressful week and picked this book up in an attempt to relax. It worked great. For the next several days I couldn't wait to get back to it and I was hooked from the first page to the last.

The settings were lovely, the characters were interesting and engaging and the writing was excellent.

There are so many Bridget Jones and Shopaholic knock offs out there that it's refreshing to read something new and original. I can't wait to read all of her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Break Your Own Heart, 12 July 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: How to Break Your Own Heart (Paperback)
At last 'How to Break Your Own Heart' is available in the UK. It is an absolute delight to read. Very funny in parts and moving in others. Maggie Alderson has written another 5 star book. Buy it and you will laugh cry and think. Has all the content of romance and humour plus the 'Alderson edge'. Way ahead of the competition. Go Maggie!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gorgeous, 12 July 2009
This review is from: How to Break Your Own Heart (Paperback)
The wonderful Maggie Alderson has done it again. A gorgeous story that avoids some of the obvious chick-lit stereotypes. The perfect summer read which will make you ache for London. I wish she brought out a book every month....

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 11 Jan. 2010
Lindymck (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Break Your Own Heart (Paperback)
great read, managed it in less than a day. having read nearly all her books this one is another cracker. amelia has the high life, living in mayfair in london and eats out every nite of the week but there is something missing???? but until aussie pal Kiki presses the issue amelia didnt really acknowledge the problem but when she does her life is turned upside down. and along comes the boy from her teens and what will happen there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 21 April 2010
This review is from: How to Break Your Own Heart (Paperback)
Like all books by Maggie Alderson, this book is brilliant! The story is excellent with some very real issues and familiar moments as well as many immensely funny ones. I couln't put it down once I started reading it!

5.0 out of 5 stars a vivid and fun read, 11 Sept. 2013
Really enjoyed this book: great characters, and a mostly believable story set in the social whirl of glam London. An absorbing and light read.

How to Break Your Own Heart
How to Break Your Own Heart by Maggie Alderson (Paperback - 2 July 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01