Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 July 2014
For my first non-fiction have enjoyed this much more then I thought, have given it five stars as I went into it thinking I might bore of it fast but it's fresh view has certainly held my attention. First heard of this from a youtube video by "Vsauce" and am very glad I got the ebook, well done Steve Johnson I will be paying more attention to your work from now on
on 25 May 2007
First let me say that this is a truelly inspiring book, after reading it I not only feel entirely justified in my TV and DVD viewing but a little ashamed of myself for not playing more computer games. I am obviously neglecting my personal development.

Johnson arguement is clear, modern culture is improving our cognative functioning, and on this score he is highly convincing in his well structured and presented argument. What I did feel was lacking was any discussion of the ramifications of his conclusions, after all do we know if increased cognitive functioning is good for us? I understand that this is not really the remit of the book, Johnson is addressing (and very successfully too) the idea that media is dumbing down, but I was left with a thirst for more debate along these lines. Does the increase in cognative processing lead to increased levels of boredom (depression is on the rise) or ADHD?? I don't know and don't want to say, but I think there is a further arguement here and I think Johnson could do have done it more justice in the book.

oh yes and how does Grand Moff Tarkin make it into a list of the nine most important characters in Star wars? (p126)
on 5 May 2015
Fabulous
on 17 January 2007
I value this book immensely because it highlighted that my generation had not wasted away on computer games, formulaic film and TV content. Indeed, we had evolved, and to keep up, the content providers were evolving too. It's as if the table was turned on popular culture - evolution in entertainment - and our minds were profiting by exercising to a new level. "Everything Bad Is Good for You" also came in handy when I was writing "The Art of Office War" - the workplace, thanks to new software, is not that mundane. We are moving along at an extraordinary pace and life, thanks to technology, is not getting simpler. Sometimes I wonder when everything good for us might be too much.
on 5 July 2010
simply one of the best books i've ever read. it finally gave me valid arguments for things i knew to be true...
on 26 April 2009
Very interesting and really sums up the current media debate! going to be really useful when starting by media uni course in september!