5.0 out of 5 stars Moving to the point of tears
I found the author's preface extremely moving, having suffered a recent miscarriage myself; it made me cry to the extent that I had to stop reading it! The book was worth buying just for the preface.
Published on 6 Aug 2005 by R. A. Collins

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your time and money
This book is a disappointment.

The title suggests something spooky or chilling. It's not.

Published on 25 May 2012 by The Good Ship

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your time and money, 25 May 2012
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
This book is a disappointment.

The title suggests something spooky or chilling. It's not.

The beginning is very abstract and I ended up skipping it mainly because the main part of the book starts several pages in and the beginning just seems so irrelevant and complex and completely unconnected to the rest of the story. When the actual story begins about the couple, Paddy and Agatha, it does seem quite interesting initially. A couple buying a new home together following a miscarriage. Yet for chapter after chapter, nothing happens and I got bored. I read on and on only to be confronted by a six paged conversation between the couple one night in bed about whether their house has a personality and whether it has humility or dignity and then they argue about whether they are the same thing and they talk about the house as if it is alive. Seriously, who has these conversations?! This is where I lost respect for the book, the characters and the author.

The story is not badly written but it is boring and pointless. I am also horrified to see the price on Amazon is £12 something for a paperback! I got mine in a charity shop and I fear that's where it is going to end up once again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant writing but emotionally lacking..., 7 Jan 2009
Love Books "Jessie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
Before the main part of this book, there's a brilliantly-written short story, and a (presumably) autobiographical account of Toby Litt's experience of his girlfriend's miscarriages. This I found harrowing and moving, along the lines of the outstanding Love Life by Ray Kluum. Then we get into the main fictional story, that of Paddy and Aggie, who have bought their dream house, but can not be happy there because Aggie has lost her baby and the bereavement is destroying their relationship. I admit to being prejudiced against men who try to write about specifically female issues from a woman's perspective. It hardly ever works and it didn't here. Because I couldn't believe in Aggie for a moment as a woman, the story wasn't worth reading.
Toby Litt is brilliant, but when writing about subjects as intimate and personal as this, I really think he should stick to the male perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving to the point of tears, 6 Aug 2005
R. A. Collins "BeckyBendyLegs" (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Story (Hardcover)
Ghost Story itself was also extremely well written and very poignant. It was a simple story, which felt very real and raw. This book isn't an easy read but the writing is so good and so intelligent that I couldn't put it down.
It's books like that this that make clear the distinction between people who write for a living (of which there are a lot) and good writers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weird, Depressing & Boring, 3 Nov 2006
A. Rose (Devon & Menorca) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
What on earth was Toby Litt on ? The couple of chapters before the main story were quite honestly wierd and disturbing. How can you think that you are a hare (yes - as in big rabbit) and not be worried about your sanity ? I read on because I never give up on a book but rather wished I hadn't. The story never really got anywhere and because of the title, `Ghost Story' I expected a bit of spookiness - it didn't happen. The whole story revolves around a wife who has lost a baby and almost loses her mind. The author is writing about a very sensitive area and everyone deals with problems differently but the main character is depressing to read about. I have friends who have miscarried but they didn't start avoiding their friends, stop leaving the house and above all didn't abandon their existing child. Weird, depressing & boring.

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, boring take on this emotive topic, 30 Aug 2009
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
It's rare for me to dislike a book as much as I did this one. Admittedly, it's got to be hard to write a novel about miscarriage, let alone a novel that's readable, interesting and engaging. But this one was really quite dire. Not only would I never recommend this to a friend, but I'd actively suggest not reading this!

Split into two parts, the first takes the form of a short story that's an apparently autobiographical take on the author's own experience of his partner's miscarriages. It veers between an almost unreadably literary style and a poignant, more personal take on the situation. It's upsetting stuff, moving and well-written in parts. Having read the blurb on the back cover, I found myself confused by what this first section of the book was. It wasn't clear whether we were launching into the main part of the novel (not the case) or reading something else (in which case, what was it meant to be and why was it there?).

Finally, the book gets to the main story: the tale of a couple (Paddy and Aggie) who have bought their perfect house, planning to bring up their family in it - only to find that it becomes a spooky, lonely trap because Aggie has lost the baby. As they both go slowly mad in their own unique ways, the house begins to haunt Aggie and becomes a symbol of their failing, haunted relationship. It's all pretty grim, upsetting stuff - yet I found it strangely boring and with little plot. I guess that is always the danger of a novel that centres largely around the main characters' mental states. Over-written and under-developed, Ghost Story is a novel that has taken an enormous, emotive topic - and has made it dull and distasteful. All in all, an awful book. I wish I hadn't read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A perceptive study of bereavement., 29 July 2007
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
A skilled narrative depicting the disintegration of a personality and relationship following bereavement. Accurately observed, perceptive prose.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay., 5 April 2006
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
I'm not sure if I like this book or not. The character of Aggie annoyed me, and although most of the story came out eventually, there were still some things that I was left wondering about.
It took me a while to read because I was reluctant to keep going back to it. I did not really identify with the characters and felt that the ending was rather abrupt.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shallow Angst, 7 Aug 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Ghost Story (Hardcover)
Mmmm - have to admit that I stopped reading this when I was three quarters through it. Don't think I've ever done that before. I thought the main characters were unlikeable and poorly crafted, but it was the self obsessed angst and grief, constantly revisited, that I lost interest in. Waste paper collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly good, 14 Mar 2005
This review is from: Ghost Story (Hardcover)
This is a great novel, not too heavy but if you let yourself you can really be drawn into it. Certainly Litt's best from what I've read... and a bit less of the stomach-churning disgust. It feels very real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 12 Feb 2006
This review is from: Ghost Story (Paperback)
I totally disagree with the other reviewers of this book. It seems to me a strange, brilliant, moving piece of work by a writer who continues to surprise and delight. Chilling and profound.

Ghost Story
Ghost Story by Toby Litt (Paperback - 7 July 2005)