5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, informative & inspiring
Published on 28 Sep 2006 by Mrs. A. C. Whiteley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for well researched name definitions
I bought this book because I really like having name definitions and origins which are well researched and it ticks the box on that score. However in my opinion it doesn't reflect 21st century or even late 20th century names or trends.
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by shinealight

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, informative & inspiring, 28 Sep 2006
Mrs. A. C. Whiteley "AllieW" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Penguin Dictionary of First Names (Penguin Reference) (Paperback)
This is easily the best name book which I own (and I own several). It is arranged in alphabetical order (as one might expect from a dictionary, I suppose) but for all names rather than with the usual Girl/Boy division. The gender of the name is indicated in brackets with either m or f. Each name has a paragraph of information about its derivation, meaning and historic use. This is far more thorough than many others on the market and allows you to make a very informed choice about your son or daughter's future name. I have used this book to make many suggestions to my sister about my future niece/nephew and she is very impressed. Even if you aren't expecting a child, this is an extremely interesting book to leaf through and well worth the modest price tag.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but might not be the only book you'll need, 28 Aug 2014
This book is insightful on providing a 'definition' of a pretty substantial list of names. On the down side, I've been through the whole book and wasn't particularly inspired by any of the names. I also don't find it very helpful that genders are mixed, as we know what we are expecting and are still having to read a large number of names that don't apply just to get through the list. On the other hand, it is a well researched book and does have a lot of English names in it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for well researched name definitions, 4 Jan 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Penguin Dictionary of First Names, 22 Jun 2007
Benjamin Goode (UK) - See all my reviews
The Penguin Dictionary of First Names is easily the most comprehensive compendium of names I have ever come across. It is peppered with historical background and little anecdotes making it a most enjoyable read even if you are not planning on having babies but have always been extremely curious as to the story behind the name .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and helpful, 2 Aug 2009
S. Slucock (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
We purchased this when trying to pick a name for baby. We already had a conventional baby name book but were not finding any inspiration. This was a great change from normal name books as it gave some interesting comments against each name and not just the bog standard meaning. Some of the references to well known and famous people with the same name are a bit outdated but that doesn't take away stop this from being a very entertaining and informative read and eventually helped us decide on a name we both liked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 6 Aug 2010
Is a pretty good list of names, focuses on Latin, Roman and English names is my preception. Mainly traditionally focussed

5.0 out of 5 stars It delighted the wife, 11 Aug 2010
R. J. Sharpe (UK) - See all my reviews
My wife was delighted when she received this book as a gift and has not stopped flicking through the pages since.
Good coverage of many names both common and the more unusual.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of names!, 25 April 2014
There are LOTS of names in this book..... I am looking for traditional names so was rather overwhelmed by the large number of foreign or 'names suitable for famous people!'

However, it is nice to see the origins of names..

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - best name book I've seen, 5 Nov 2007
Mrs. C. Large (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is great. It has so many names from so many different origins and even the variants of those. Within 10 minutes of picking it up I had found 2 great possible names for my new addition wheras I'd found none in the countless books I had studied so far. Well worth the £8.99 RRP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best first name book, 18 Aug 2014
This is the best first name book I've come across and I love the fact that it even makes reference to how certain names are used in other languages.

The Penguin Dictionary of First Names (Penguin Reference)
The Penguin Dictionary of First Names (Penguin Reference) by David Pickering (Paperback - 5 Aug 2004)