5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting tale of lost love and childhood innocence.
Published on 24 May 2004 by Joanne Schofield

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Sides of the Tale
This book attracted me because of the raving reviews on the book 'A clever book about female sexual desire with a secret ending' being one of them.
I read the first half when Edie is a teen and meeting her first love - Ricky. She then leaves him for a new life after her Father dies. I was totally hooked and couldn't wait to read the second half.
However the...
Published on 13 May 2012 by Fox_E

5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting tale of lost love and childhood innocence., 24 May 2004
Joanne Schofield (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things We Knew Were True (Paperback)
This book was a sad, poignant tale of how past tragedies and distant memories can surface when we least expect them to. It focuses on Edie, middle child to parents Louise and Vic. Edie's childhood is filled with love and security as she grows up in the midst of a comfortable chaos that three daughters ultimately bring to a household. But her beautiful, elegant mother and quiet, gentle father are always there to protect and care for her. At the age of sixteen Edie meets Ricky and she experiences the passion and tenderness of first love, but tragedy is around the corner and soon something happens that will shape Edie's destiny and destroy her childhood innocence.
The story is told in two parts, the first recalling Edie's childhood and the second looking back twenty years later, remembering those distant memories and observing the past as it finally catches up with the present. It is a sad tale, but beautifully told, simmering with memories of more innocent times. Gerrard's description of Edie's youth is so empathetic and accurate that it makes the reader relive their own childhood memories and is doubly thought-provoking. I took a trip back in time with this book as it stirred up memories of the first house I grew up in and I recalled fond images of my parents and I, and remembered those wistful days of being young and in love. But Gerrard shows how the past can sometimes return to haunt you as she effectively links this with Edie's present as she gets a chance to relive those 'what if's' from long ago.
I've read Gerrard's other books collaborating with her husband as 'Nikki French' and this is worlds apart from those, so don't buy this thinking it will be similar, you couldn't be more wrong as the genres are hugely different. But although I enjoy both genres I much preferred this novel as this was the first book I've read of hers where I actually empathised with the characters and could understand the reasons for their wrongs. I warmed to all the characters in this book, they seemed real, making mistakes but genuinly regretful as they did so.
Ultimately this is a beautifully written, bittersweet tale of love, tragedy and how the past sometimes creeps up to collide with the present. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting female characters, 7 Sep 2005
This review is from: Things We Knew Were True (Paperback)
I read this book last year and this year I read Solace also by Nicci Gerrard. Although the genre of these two books is quite different to the style created by husband and wife team Nicci French, both Nicci Gerrard and Nicci French books feature the most haunting, vulnerable female characters who genuinely seem to be alone and dealing with strong emotional situations. You can genuinely appreciate the link between most of the female lead characters right across these novels.
This book deals with female relationships between sisters, mothers, grandmothers, as well as male- female relationships and is a most haunting and emotional read. I could barely put it down and it has the most simple yet effective images of the way that a family and the individual members in it deal with loss and how it affects them all.
Worth a read, especially if you like Nicci French already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly sad but a brilliant read, 29 May 2005
This review is from: Things We Knew Were True (Paperback)
I agree with what the other reviewers have said about this book ... it is beautifully written and whilst I was reading the book, I really felt as though the characters became part of my life. It has some very sad and profound moments, and so much that I could relate to. It is the first book in a while that I really got my teeth into and therefore I thoroughly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Sides of the Tale, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Things We Knew Were True (Paperback)
However the second half was truly bad, a mature woman and a doctor at that acting like a love sick teenager again. The reader is left wondering if this person who was the heroine throughout was actually just a cruel and selfish person the entire time.
Yes her Father died but she had 3 sisters who loved her and a mother, a nice house and a good education which was alot more than the first love of her life Ricky has. She then meets up with Ricky her first love sleeps with him - putting her husband and childrens lives at risk, then abandons Ricky all over again. She is then forgiven by her husband and goes back to her normal life. I mean really?
It is not a book I would recommend unless you happen to get it cheap enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars tedious teenage love revisited, 8 Aug 2010
Ann Parnell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things We Knew Were True (Paperback)
A story in two halves. The first half mainly tells in boring and unnecessarily over-extended detail, the first love of Edie as a teenager.

The second half, set twenty-odd years later, is far more interesting, and tells of Edie and her two sisters meeting up at their mother's home after she has been killed suddenly in a car accident. The conversations between the sisters are interesting, as they recall their early lives with their parents as they sort through their mother's possessions, and talk about their present lives. The book goes downhill when drippy Edie hankers after her lost first love and puts her marriage and family life at risk.

The family 'secrets' are obvious and it is difficult to understand how a supposedly intelligent woman (Edie is a doctor after all!) could be surprised by what her sisters reveal to her.

Basically, this is the plot of a soppy short story of the sort that you find in a magazine, which has been padded out to try to turn it into a romantic novel or family drama. It fails on both counts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Frighteningly real, 12 May 2003
This is not the usual Nicci French affair -which are always very good - but this is Nicci Gerrard solo book which is not crime related at all. Its a story of first love, betrayal, families and turmoil. There cant be a female out there that doesnt think of their first love once in a while, and this book will probably promptly put an end to those fantasies. Its very sad, with plenty to relate to, especially to those people with sisters, and more importantly its a chance to play out the fantasy of meeting your first love again after all those years and seeing how things turn out. Gerrard scenario is very close to the bone and hits many a raw nerve. I think I can say Ive finally waved goodbye to notions of my first love! But that aside buy this book because it's good. Makes a change.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Things We Knew Were True (Paperback)
good storyline, quite a light novel but interestingstory about the complex workings of a family which are sometimes hidden until something happens

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicci Gerrard, 12 Feb 2013
J. Young "MsJY" (Fife) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things We Knew Were True (Paperback)
This book is okay however it does tend to make you feel very down. think the writer must be very depressed. Her books are very samey. the ones she writes with her husband are much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars things we knew were true, 27 Jan 2013
julia (sheffield uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things We Knew Were True (Paperback)
really good read very touching true to life something that could really happen to any one enjoyed it could not put it down

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the read, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Things We Knew Were True (Paperback)
Different to when she writes as Nicci French. I enjoyed the story and like the way it moved between the present and past.

Things We Knew Were True
Things We Knew Were True by Nicci Gerrard (Paperback - 29 April 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01