5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta be a film one day!
Published on 28 Feb 2007 by S. J. Virtue

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't knock my socks off
Published on 16 April 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta be a film one day!, 28 Feb 2007
S. J. Virtue "sjv" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 31 Dream Street (Hardcover)
If this book doesn't become a film one day, I'll eat my hat. It has blockbuster written all over it - in the vein of About a Boy, Love Actually, Four Weddings and Bridget Jones. It's a superbly woven tale of the lives of the inhabitants of Peacock House, owned by Toby, overlooked by Leah and recently left by Gus ... who turns both their lives around. This is a beautifully written book, which really draws the reader into the lives of the main characters, and by the end of the book I was genuinely caught up in a desire for happy endings for (nearly) all of them. I adored Toby, and it was a really refreshing angle for the lead character of a Chick Lit title to be a man...Though not overly sentimental, there is much poignant soul searching for all the characters involved, and the author carefully handles the twists and turns of their lives with grace. I loved Lisa's books before this one - they are all funny and "real" and touching, but the bar has definitely been raised with 31 Dream Street. It's one of the best books I've read this year, and the feeling that I really care what the future holds for Con and Daisy, Melinda and Jack (who for some reason I picture as Anthony LaPaglia), and of course Toby and Leah....has stayed with me since I turned the last page. Thank you Lisa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable light reading, 14 Mar 2007
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 31 Dream Street (Hardcover)
Toby, a poet, was bought a house in Finchley by his father before he went off and abandoned him. There is already one sitting tenant, but Toby turns the rest of the rooms into a home for waifs and strays, people who can't afford to pay rent, musicians, poets and people who are just down on their luck.

Fifteen years go by and the death of Gus, the sitting tenant, gives Toby a chance to start again and reclaim his life. With the help of Leah, from across the road, Toby gradually starts to get to know the people who have taken over his house and help them find a way to move on!

This is a typical Lisa Jewell book, lovely light reading with small touches of tragedy and comedy. The characters are well developed (especially Ruby, the hard drinking, hard smoking, hard partying rock chick)

Really enjoyable, would make great beach reading, and (as with all Jewell novels) you're guaranteed a happy ending!

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't knock my socks off, 16 April 2009
Amazon Customer (The Hague, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 31 Dream Street (Paperback)
I feel like such a party pooper saying I didn't particularly like this book. I mean, don't get me wrong. It's a pretty good read and a good story. When you put it apart, the characters are great, their stories are amazing, and it's a great idea that should have made an amazing book. Yet, when you put it all together, the book seemed a bit bland and missed the sparkle that would make it a bestseller in my eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!, 5 Mar 2007
This review is from: 31 Dream Street (Hardcover)
I couldn't agree more with the review above - i love Lisa Jewell & i thought could get no better than Vince & Joy - how wrong can you be??

This book is so real - you can relate to any one of the characters and thats what i like most about Lisa's books, you could know anyone of her characters and the places.

Did not put it down - read in one weekend (and a bit)

For anyone who has never read Lisa Jewll - buy buy buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reader Beware, 18 May 2008
A. Archer - See all my reviews
This review is from: 31 Dream Street (Paperback)
Reader beware. This book is also published under the title of "Roommates Wanted" Don't buy the same book twice like I did. Aggravating to say the least. I love Lisa Jewell but I feel cheated.

5.0 out of 5 stars 31 dream street, 20 April 2011
This review is from: 31 Dream Street (Hardcover)
i read this book in 3 days thats even with having a 4 month old demanding baby, i was hooked because it was so different to a love story it had many charaters to get to know in a non confusing way and that was very interesting, this is the first book ive read by this author and i shall be purshaing her others if they are anything like this one, a very warm inspiring book :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect read for a cold winter's night!, 19 Nov 2010
B. L. Jacobs "Barbiej" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 31 Dream Street (Paperback)
Lovely book - one of many by Lisa Jewell - ideal for reading on a chilly winter's night - tucked on the sofa with a mug of hot chocolate with marshmallows floating on the top! Her writing style always draws the reader in with just enough to still let them use their imagination too.

4.0 out of 5 stars funny, heart warming and unputdownable!, 13 Jun 2010
L. Campbell "LolaBud" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 31 Dream Street (Paperback)
This book was brilliant from start to finish, the plot is both exciting and sad in equal measures. I love the way she introduces all these charachters who live in the house, and then draws out their individual personalities one by one. The love story between the two main charachters is something you hope for from the beginning, but from the descriptions of both Leah and Toby, you never would have put them together.
From the sec i opened this book I couldn't put it down, it was given to me by a friend and I just loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 27 Nov 2008
This review is from: 31 Dream Street (Paperback)
I loved this book and could not put it down once I had started- I ended up reading it all in a day! The characters are really well developed and the plot is really lovely with many a twist and turn along the way! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chick lit at its best, 13 Nov 2008
Helen Ochyra (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 31 Dream Street (Paperback)
I'm not the biggest fan of chick lit but Lisa Jewell is chick lit with style and substance. I have enjoyed all her books and 31 Dream Street was no exception. The storyline is fresh and original and Jewell really makes you care about her well-crafted characters. Once I started reading this I was completely hooked and my commute couldn't last long enough! It may be a slightly predictable ending but hey, we don't read this type of fiction to be surprised, we read it because it's fun.

31 Dream Street
31 Dream Street by Lisa Jewell (Paperback - 3 April 2008)
5.99