5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous
Published on 13 Nov 2003 by Anna jeffreys

3.0 out of 5 stars its okay
a bit dated now due to internet but still some good tips and funny personal stories make it worth a look.
Published 10 months ago by N. Prabhu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous, 13 Nov 2003
Anna jeffreys (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book is everything the other reviewers say and more. The funniest thing about it (apart from the fact that it is very funny indeed) is that I feel like it's my friend. I know this sounds mad, but I really love this book, in the same way that I really love my favourite handbag. I want to carry it around with me and consult it whenever I feel like I need cheering up. There's something sort of magically charming about it - you know how you have a favourite book when you're young and it gets all tattered and dog-eared because you can't stop reading it and take it everywhere with you? This is one of those. I haven't felt this way about a book since I was a teenager, and I'm a 35 year old woman!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love India Knight!, 15 Nov 2003
By A Customer
Words cannot describe how fntastic this book is: Funny, informative, descriptive. A Bible for the modern woman - and her man!
I love India Knight. I love how she writes and what she says. Indeed a phenomenon - not that its saying anything that any self respecting shopaholic doesn't know already, but its so much fun!
I am recommending it to ALL of my friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it six stars if I could, 12 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This book is FANTASTIC. It's not only incredibly useful - she tells you where to get everything you might conceivably want, from ready-meals to beds to knickers -- but it's also a really FABULOUS read, like sitting down with your best friend and having a good old gossip about everything under the sun. The stuff about her childhood is both very funny and very touching -- as in her novels, you're laughing hysterically one minute and reaching for the tissues the next. Very quirky, very clever, makes you want to hang out with the author. And, not least, it's beautiful looking and will make a fantastic Christmas present for everyone I know, from my nan upwards. Buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My best random purchase of the year so far..., 14 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Shops (Paperback)
I bought this book on a whim, (I am exactly that kind of shopper), and wouldn't hesitate to advise everyone else to snap it up, especially now that it's available in paperback. The best thing about it is that there really is something in it for everyone - I'm positive you don't have to even ENJOY shopping to appreciate India Knight's sense of humour and confessional yet practical style. It's handily indexed, so you don't have to read it cover-to-cover - although trust me, you'll want to. Based on my family's interactions with it, women of all ages can expect to become intrigued, or perhaps, like me, swiftly addicted. Men, (be they husbands, boyfriends, sons, brothers or friends) looking for a treat for themselves or a well-chosen bargain/indulgence for the women in their lives may well find this an indispensible volume. Similarly, I prize it for having sorted out my Dad-present problems for life!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Suberb, 1 Dec 2003
catmoscow (Torquay, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
One of the best non-fiction books I've read in a long time!!! If you like Domestic Bliss you will adore this one. It's ironic and easy to read, the tips are excellent, shops recommendations are useful for those who live outside the UK - this book has a HUGE collection of internet addresses of the shops.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a joy!, 10 Nov 2003
By A Customer
I happily bought this thinking it would be a glittery shopping guide, full of idiosynchratic little boutiques and heavenly make-up shops. And, fabulously, it is: everything from the softest baby blankets to the yummiest chocolates to the sweetest-smelling face cream. But, even more fabulously, it is so much more.
The shopping gems are peppered throughout in boxes, surrounded by beautiful, curly illustrations, but holding them all together are the most brilliantly-written, touching, honest, funny memoirs about the author's shopping life. Essays about buying her wedding dress, supermarket shopping with her mother, buying birthday presents, being a teenager shopping for clothes. And they are each one wonderful.
I had a blissful time reading this book, and in the run-up to Christmas it will, I fear, become very dog-earred. Although, I suspect I might ignore most of India Knight's excellent and thoughtful gift ideas, and instead buy her book for everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shops - Unputdownable, 21 Feb 2004
Loie (East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
One of the best books I have read in a long time. India Knights' meandering style of prose is addictive. I am half way though and am already starting to feel disappointed that I will finsih it soon. Another instalment is surely on its way. Perfect to buy for your selves or as the author says anyone who needs to shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why you need to read this book, 4 Jan 2004
C. E. A. Fader "Self Help Junkie" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The fact that Argos is right up there alongside Fortnum's speaks volumes for this glorious book. I've just spent a wonderful hour on the internet marvelling at one of her website recommendations.This book is my new best friend and I've bought it for all my closest friends this Christmas. Please bring out volume 2 in time for Christmas 2004, I almost can't wait. For anyone whose Mother made them try on slacks in Marks and Spencer when they were 12 yrs old, this will have you laughing out loud. Sheer heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Fantastic Book, 14 Jan 2007
vivsy (rural hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shops (Paperback)
I was surprised at how much I loved this book. I don't like 'chick-lit' so have never read any of India Knight's books before, but I saw this and thought I'd give it a go as I love shopping. What a book! It's PACKED full of advice, not all of it I agree with necessarily such as extolling the virtues of cheap bathroom suites, and there is the inevitable endorsment of certain retailers, such as Argos.But it is so engagingly well written and so hilarious that I didn't mind. Anyway it is interesting to read someone else's perspective on shopping and what they think is value for money. There's oodles of advice on where to shop for great presents for everyone as well as lots of beauty tips, although not much on clothes (you've got Trinny and Susannah for that) all interwoven around a kind of personal memoir which I found highly entertaining. Brilliant fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is my bible!, 16 Jan 2004
I got this book for Christmas (after some pretty hefty hinting!) and I could scarcely put it down long enough to eat my turkey. It's so well written... like chatting with a best friend who knows all the best places to go for... well, everything! Please, please, please write a sequel!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa7f306f0)

The Shops
The Shops by India Knight (Paperback - 12 Aug 2004)
7.19
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available