4.0 out of 5 stars Dilemma..
Published on 20 Oct 2003 by S. Yogendra

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT A GOOD PHOTOCOPY
Published on 23 Nov 2002 by Kelvin MacGregor

4.0 out of 5 stars Dilemma.., 20 Oct 2003
S. Yogendra "Shefaly" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this book right after it came out. I read it during moments snatched from days and nights of a lot of academic work. When you open the book, it warns you 'not to read the diary when I (Kurt Cobain) am gone..' but my curiosity got the better of me. I read on to find a rather articulate and meticulous person (who else will make a checklist for every stop of the tour bus that includes 'check oil' and 'check tyres'?) quite different from the drugged persona that means a rock star to you and me. A chronicle of the way Kurt Cobain changed over time, it makes you wonder about 'success' in general and 'rock star success' in specific. Curiously there can be deep introspective moments but that was just my experience.
Strangely enough just around that time, we were discussing the changing concept of copyright in network economics. Besides I am deeply interested in privacy technologies and the social debate around it. In all, I experienced a terrible dilemma with this book - by buying this, was I aiding and abetting privacy violation (even posthumous) or copyright violation (since these are not Courtney Love's diaries so how could she publish them???).. Any guesses?
Read it only if you can deal with the conflicting emotions that rightly overcome you when you read someone's diary without their knowledge or consent.. 4 stars for the depressing times this caused me, when I could least afford the time..

4.0 out of 5 stars An insight, but at points illegible, 12 Feb 2005
Hedgeman (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
From what I can gather of the text I can actually read, this is an extremely good book, all be it a diary. The draft song lyrics are very interesting and the album cover and t-shirt ideas are, at points, hilarious. I'm not sure whether Kurt wanted his personal diaries released, but I'm sure Courtney would be able to find an excuse if called upon.
What would make this book 1000% better would be a version twice as thick, with the actual journal on the right hand page and a readable transcription on the left, like a Shakespeare play. This would make this an easy 5 star, where it rightly belongs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this right?, 8 Dec 2002
N. Baseley (Haslemere, UK) - See all my reviews
I guess only Nirvana fans are reading this, hence the 5 stars. If you don't have much knowledge of Nirvana or Kurt Cobain, then this book will feel out of context. That's not a criticism of the book, because here we have a collection of personal notes by Kurt, to himself, without chapter headings, introductions or even dates.
Certainly it is without question an interesting read, and you will get something out of the experience of reading it. And nowhere else, are we 'privileged' enough to read such explicit and personal information.
But this review comes with a warning. Kurt Cobain was awash with contradiction. This book makes you question your beliefs about him, and it would be easy to assume an honesty in his writing that would lead to the conclusion that KC was manipulative and calculated - that his sincerity was a front. The ambition and drive for success that he so often mocked, is reflected from his very thoughts.
5 stars because I feel privileged to have this information available to me, that it appears uncensored, that we get a little closer to one of our most prolific artists in living memory.
Let me end on one final concern. Throughout reading this book, and now with its poignant remarks stored in my mind, I continue to wonder whether it was right to read it. Have we betrayed him, have we sold him out?

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 22 Jan 2005
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
Wow! I am really impressed with this book! I have been an avid Nirvana fan for a long time now, and when I read about the book I just had to buy it. The book is not one you can pick up and read because each page is not just a block of writing Kurt has wrote everyday. It contains drafts of letters to old bandmates and friends. The pictures and drawings that Kurt drew in his journal are amazing. He is not a person that is easily understood but this book has helped me learn alot about him. However, I was left with the feeling should I have read that. He was such a private person when he was alive, would he really want us reading his journals after his untimely death? But, a fantastic insight too an undoubtly talented man that makes a sightly guilty read.
P.S: You wouldn't like the book if you do not like Nirvana

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully tragic, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Kurt Cobain: Journals (Paperback)
I just feel really sorry for Kurt now and I feel kind of bad for buying this thing. It was practically stolen from a dead person. It was a piece of him, a beautifully tragic piece of various periods of his short life. But I must admit he was a genius and his diaries have this little grunge-kind-of-suicidal magic in them. I love his drawings, he really did express himself and it only takes a small bit of common sense and compassion to understand it a bit. If you've ever been through a tough time, i'm sure you'll understand. I'm actually glad they didn't publish all his journals, memories deserve to be kept a secret. At least the private ones. And... some of the comments about him on here make me a little bit sick, I mean, he's dead... And no one reads your diaries either, so why so much judgement. You didn't know him in person, but I'm not trying to defend anyone. I'm just saying he was a huge inspiration to me, in a sad kind of way. He surely wasn't the best example for any person in the world, but a little respect towards a dead person wouldn't hurt you, perhaps.

5.0 out of 5 stars if you read you'll judge, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Kurt Cobain: Journals (Paperback)
Ok I'm going to work now, when you wake up this morning, please read my diary. Look through my things, and figure me out

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, 1 Sep 2005
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
This is an amazing item to have as a nirvana fan as it is full of personal thoughts, lyrics and letters to friends and band members.
you feel very intrusive as you look through the hand written pages of his journals, complete with doodles and drawings by kurt.
Strange but cool!

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT A GOOD PHOTOCOPY, 23 Nov 2002
Who knows how many millions the publishers paid Kurt Cobain's estate for his journals - for they sure didn't spend much more on editorial costs. Admittedly, it's a nice big lavish book - but basically this is just a collection of photocopied pages torn out of Cobain's spiral notebooks. Apart from a short note at the back of the book saying these were either draft letters or letters that were never sent, there is no biographical content about the origin or dates (Cobain himself never dated his diary pages) that shed any light on the entries. Sure you get the picture from Cobain's outpourings - frustration before fame, frustration with fame etc. But unless you're a fan of Nirvana, you'll have to read one of the Cobain biographies to find out more about the band's story for yourself. But then, this is for fans - isn't it? Scribbled drafts of some of the most famous song lyrics - like Smells Like Teen Spirit - with all the scored out deletions and doodles on the page only empower the image of the grunge icon. And that's exactly why the photocopied pages appear as they were written; just jottings, really, in Cobain's fast and furious handwriting, which is almost illegible at times. A typed book would have shown up just how ordinary the writing is - just a guy letting off some steam, trying to keep a record. It wasn't meant to be literature. With any journals - particularly a dead famous person - the power of the prose is in the subject's thoughts at the point in their life they were at when they put the words down on the page, especially if it was before they found fame. Now wouldn't it have been better if the publishers had added some editorial content with the text - or Cobain's estate had provided some private photos? Even in death, it seems, you can't get cooler than Kurt Cobain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kurts Journals, 29 Mar 2004
This review is from: Journals (Paperback)
I chose this particular book because I had listened to a few nirvana albums and I really enjoyed their music and I wanted to find out more. The book is filled with photographs of his original journals. His journals are filled with song ideas art and undelivered letters. He also describes how he hated being famous and his own thoughts on the world in his day. He writes his journals as if he wanted them to be read. Some times you cant really read what he's trying to say which was probably due to his heavy drug use, despite this I have enjoyed reading it because it also has a lot of humour in some of the comic strips and letters, which he wrote. April 8th 1994 his body was found at his home in Seattle with a shotgun wound to the head the verdict was suicide. Next to his body was a suicide note, which was titled its better to burn out than fade away. He describes in the note how he was riding the wave of success and dealing with the difficulties that go along with that. He also describes his terrible addiction to the drug heroine and how he found it impossible to quit. Although this was the end of Kurt's life his music is still being bought and is as popular as it was 10 years ago. The book reveals a troubled man with an allegedly wasted lifestyle. I think that Kurt's journals should not have been released as they were after he died I think they should have been kept private and out of the public eye, despite this he writes on the front cover "don't read my journals when I'm gone" and then the first thing you see when you open the book is another sentence written in ballpoint " I'm going to work know, read through my journals and figure me out..." we can't really tell if he would have approved the release of his journals if Kurt had been alive today. I would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of 90s alternative music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nirvana fan, 17 Mar 2003
Kieron Julian Riley (Nyon, Vaud Switzerland) - See all my reviews
Nirvana were a band that defined a generation, and Kurt Kobain was the frontman, the guy whom everybody knew of. And of course, everybody also knew about his private life (his drug abuse etc.). So by the time of his death, there was much speculation about his death being a murder not a suicide. Everyone Kurt knew kept talking about how suicidal he was and about how they were surprised he didn't die sooner. But when you read this book you see that Kurt was not suicidal at all. He was a troubled soul who got thrown into the deceitful life of being a rock star and this overwhelmed him. Now i see him in a way that i have never seen him before. And i am very happy about that, but on the other hand, Kurt disliked being so famous and that makes me think, "would he want us to be reading his journal?"

Kurt Cobain: Journals
Kurt Cobain: Journals by Kurt Cobain (Paperback - 27 Nov 2003)
12.91