on 2 December 2002
...and quite possibly the best ever in the world. As an impressionable six year old I began collecting stickers for my Mexico '70 World Cup album. One of the England players caught my
eye...his distinctive looks and bright green goalie's top did the trick. I liked the look of this chap so much that I adopted his club side as my own and although I grew out of my affection for Stoke City but have always rated Gordon Banks as the best goalkeeper I ever saw. The honesty and modesty of the man is evident in these pages and he spends as much time describing the shots he failed to make as on those he did. "That" save against Pele is discussed of course but Gordon's personal favourite appears to be a penalty save from Geoff Hurst in a League Cup semi final in 1971-72. The World Cup of 1966 is the centre piece of the book as might be expected and Banks gives us an interesting perspective on those legendary events. The detail of his career and life post '66 ( and especially after the ill-fated
defence of the World Cup in 1970 ) is sketchy compared to the story of his rise from a working class Tinsley street to the heights of the World Cup but all in all its an entertaining read.
His treatment by Leicester City during season 1966-67 has to be read to be believed and the account of local hostility during the 1970 World Cup Finals is an eye opener too. Mostly though its the story of a very human, very likeable man who scaled the heights in his chosen profession through his own natutal talent plus a great deal of hard work. He deserves our respect and for us to read his story.
on 5 January 2004
An awe inspiring tale of the greatest goalkeeper ever to stand between the sticks. Gentleman Gordon tells of his childhood and throughout his career in football which has gone through more than its share of ups and downs, from Chesterfield through to Stoke City and beyond.
Throughout all this he talks about the constant need to keep improving and to learn more about the physics of goalkeeping which till then had been ignored. Despite his knocks and injuries including the loss of sight in one eye his love for the game and dedication shows what can be accomplished if you put your mind to it.
The book in my mind talks about a golden era in English football when sportmanship was more important that money and winning, tragically something that has been lost in todays game.
on 21 June 2014
A really good read , was always my fav. keeper back in the day. Can watch the save from PELE till the cows come home. Why we (man utd ) didn`t sign him (sorry Alex ) in the 60`s beyond me. Was a treat to watch him in action from the stretford end terraces. Comes across as a very modest well grounded guy . Also saw him watching UTD from the stretford end when Eric ruled in the 90`s hope he wasn`t paying for his ticket ! should have asked for his autograph.

NB well what do you know , out of world cup after two games - Gordon Banks WORLD CLASS - Rooney Gerard never.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2013
Gordon comes over as real good guy, totally aware of where he came from. Methodically written, takes you through his career step by step. Never could understand why he was at the smaller city teams, but he explains this well. Played when most teams could win anything and trophies were not dominated by the select few huge clubs. An enjoyable sports autob.
on 29 May 2013
I bought this as a gift for an old friend of my who alwys talks about Banksy. I was searching for gift ideas, when saw this. It really made his day. I felt great to see him happy as well.
on 25 June 2013
Have been reliving the times of the golden era of English football by reading what our World Cup winning team have to say of the times,
on 14 March 2012
this book was a good read,I thought it was interesting< and it is nice to keep it as I love the game of football
on 26 January 2016
How do you win the World Cup? I decided to read the 'winners' biograhpys.
on 21 April 2016
My Grandson loved reading about the greatest goalkeeper ever.
on 2 January 2016
Not as good as I thought it would be but still worth a read .