on 31 December 2005
I first got this book as a gift. I don't normally read books dated around the war, but i read this and absolutley fell in love with it! It's so well written and you are just ensnared in the story line, that you feel like you are there caught in the emotions of the characters!
Since i first read this book and heard there were two more books continuing this story, i had to read them and they are equally as ensnaring as the first! Reading these books i felt all the emotion and cannot relay how these books and this autor has changed my outlook on life forever!
on 26 September 2013
A very believable story, one which I feel I have heard before. Maybe to do with the fact that Rose, the main character, was born in the same year as my mother who was also the eldest child in a large family. Thankfully my mother didn't have such a hard upbringing as Rose but she was equally as feisty. That said, the book gripped me from the first page and is very well written. I got to know the characters very quickly and it didn't take long to decide on my favourites. I don't want to give away the storyline other than to say that Rose had lots of knock backs but her determination to better herself and the lives of her family through sheer hard work is commendable. I wanted her to succeed so much that I couldn't put the book down even at 1 o'clock in the morning!
on 7 January 2006
Rose Webster lives in the slums of London, but unlike many people around her, Rose has a thirst for knowledge and wants to leave the slums. With the help friends, Rose's dream may come true. But in the end will Rose be albe to leave the past behind
"The Open Door" is the first book that I read from Beryl Matthews and it will not be last. Ms. Matthews give the reader rich characters that should not be missed.
11 comment9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 September 2008
The story of how a came in contact with this book. Was when I was 15 (18 now) I had read every book in the house and did not have another one to read. So I took drastic measures and searched my whole house. In my sisters room (who never reads don't know why it was there) on the very top of her cupboard was a bag full old books. When I was looking through them I realized that most of them were kid's books, and then I saw Open door by beryl Matthews. It was all ripped and old but I thought to read it anyway. To this day I have not found a better book. Rose Webster hates the way her life is. Living in the slums of London while her mother struggles to feed all of her children, she swears she will never have kids and end up like her mother (who she loves dearly). She finds out that her Dad is not her birth dad just her stepfather. Life takes a painful turn when rose has to leave school and can not afford to go to secondary school. (rose has a brilliant mind and seems to absorb knowledge) With help from her teacher grace she meets John (John is graces husband) where he gives her lessons every Saturday, he teaches her things that she would learn in the secondary school. When john has to leave for the army rose still goes every Saturday to meet grace with her little sister Annie who is she has a soft spot for. Near Christmas on a cold December day, rose gets raped by a solider,
I truly love this book so im going to leave it with that with just a hint of what is to come next, a handsome charming man who falls in love with rose on sight, but can the cold hearted girl ever love, and what happens when she finds out who her father is..............
A lot more follows I recommend this book to anyone, it can be read by anyone other the age of 14 onwards, if you have never read this book then get it, its amazing
11 comment6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2007
This isnt normally a book i would go for but once i started to read it i couldnt put it down i read it in 2 days it kept me hooked and it was fantastic my sister has just finished reading it too and she was hooked the story is great i felt like i knew rosie by the time i had finished reading i just wish i had the courage she had
on 21 August 2015
Another Beryl Matthews novel that I am glad Amazon recommended. The story of a girl from the back streets with a love of learning and determination to make something of herself with the help of her teacher and friends she makes along the way. I really enjoyed the story of her life how she becomes a lawyer and represents people of the poorer class and fights for better conditions for them. I really got involved with this story as I always enjoy the historical background. I highly recommend this novel I really enjoyed it and am always on the lookout for ones like it and new authors whose novels I have never read.
on 27 April 2003
This book was fantastic! it grips you from the start and doesn't dissapoint. It starts off with the main caricature (Rose) at 11 years old and takes you through 13/14 years of her life. You feel that you grow up with her. She takes you through poverty in 1913, through WW1 and struggling to get by in a very class orientated society. She proves that being born into poverty does not mean you have to stay there. Brilliant!
on 10 October 2014
It's been a long time since I've read a book and wanted to scream at some of the pages. Rose was hard sometimes to like because of her childhood, she really hated the world and everyone in it. It was great to see how determination and brute force could change attitudes of those better off than some. I loved this story, I could see everything unfolding right in from of me from the descriptive way it was written. Going now to choose my nest Beryl Matthews book sooooooooo looking forward to finding it.
on 14 March 2014
I enjoyed this book so much, I had problems putting it down, Rose wanted to make something of her life, but in the end it became an obsession, pushing away the people she loved the most, her family,she married a man she respected, only to find, that when she comes close to losing him, she actually loves him.
I look forward to reading next book,
Janet Davies Falmouth Cornwall
on 25 March 2014
A very fast paced and easy to follow the lead character Rose through the trials and tribulations of life through a hard tough childhood to an obsessed adulthood where doors are able to open if you want them to and are not scared of battling for your dreams and what you want from life.