4.0 out of 5 stars New Penguin Dictionary of Music
Published on 27 Jan 2011 by Rosemary Goddard Svendsen

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing dictionary of music
not as good as an earlier edition we have. Opinion rather than facts, and we found an inaccuracy in it.
Published 16 months ago by Anne Wade

4.0 out of 5 stars New Penguin Dictionary of Music, 27 Jan 2011
This review is from: The New Penguin Dictionary of Music (Paperback)
I bought an older edition of this book back in 1977, when my daughter began learning to play the piano and the violin. At that time, it served as an introductory reference to composers, pieces and some musical terms - a useful adjunct to the various music theory books we acquired over the years. The new edition, which I purchased in December 2010, is both bigger and better, with not only more entries, but also more detail under each entry. There are currently no music students in my household, but there are some avid listeners who like to know something about the piece, the composer, the musicians, they are listening to. The entries are often detailed enough to provide a level of information which is sufficient in itself, but the references are also a good jumping-off point, for those times when one wants to know more. This music dictionary is a valuable companion, already much consulted when we plan our concert listening. I am glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steamy, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: The New Penguin Dictionary of Music (Paperback)
Exceptional in detail and value for money. Far exceeded my expectations. Would highly reccommend to anyone who is interested in purchasing such a useful book for their own reference.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing dictionary of music, 16 Aug 2013
Anne Wade (London UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need to know about Music, 6 Jan 2010
This review is from: The New Penguin Dictionary of Music (Paperback)
Apart from the Bible this is possibly the next best book. Actually I think the Bible might be slipping to second.

The New Penguin Dictionary of Music
The New Penguin Dictionary of Music by Paul Griffiths (Paperback - 3 Aug 2006)