4.0 out of 5 stars Informative Book
This is an Informative Book of Bringing up a baby in the first few months. BUT DON'T TAKE AMAZONS OFFER ON THE RECOMMENDATION BOOK
THE HAPPIEST BABY ON THE BLOCK. THESE ARE EXACTLY THE SAME BOOK!!!!!!!!!
Published on 13 Nov 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tips but laborious and repetive!
Published on 30 Oct 2011 by J. Latham

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative Book, 13 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Baby Bliss: Your One-stop Guide for the First Three Months and Beyond (Paperback)
THE HAPPIEST BABY ON THE BLOCK. THESE ARE EXACTLY THE SAME BOOK!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book!, 20 Dec 2004
By A Customer
After seeing Dr Karp on Richard and Judy and being so impressed with his way of settling young babies I had to get the book.
It was the best money I've spent so far!!!
The book is very readable and informative. Everything you,ve ever been told about babies suddenly makes sense, it gets rid of the colicky baby and makes you think that being first time parents may not be quite so daunting after all.
This book should be given to all new parents at their antenatal classes! it is a MUST!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby Bliss, 18 Oct 2005
Highly recommended book, for any new or 10th time parents. My friend saw the program on R and J, and told me about it. My 3rd baby was 5 weeks old when I got the book and opened the chapter about swaddling. I have never looked back. He has slept through every NIGHT since then, now he is 9 months old. Sleep is so important to us parents. If I met the author I will give him the best bottle of wine and a big hug. My first son did not sleep through before he was 7 years old, and 2nd son he was 2.
There are a lot of other good ideas and recommendations in the book too. This is a great present for anyone that has or is going to have a baby. As I said, does not matter if it is first time parent of 10th time parent, lots of fantastic information in this book

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver!, 15 Feb 2007
Mrs. H. E. Harrison (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is something everybody who has a baby must own. Amazing!! Tried everthing in the book and they all worked. Think I would have lost the plot without it. Brillaint ways to calm your baby and help her sleep for longer. Amazing!!

4.0 out of 5 stars An essential read before your baby is born!, 4 Mar 2005
By A Customer
I bought this book a few weeks after the birth of my baby and was serching for a way to handle odd periods of nightly colic. This book is an essential read and I wish I had found it earlier! It offers some easy to follow practical steps that really do work to calm an uncomfortable baby. My baby is not a 'cry baby' but did have some periods of fussiness, especially at night, but by applying a selection of the steps suggested in this book I can get him to sleep in a few minutes, rather than sitting for up to an hour or two trying to comfort him. This book should perhaps be given five stars because of the effectiveness of the contents but I knocked a star off because of the rather longwinded style of the book. It is clearly laid out and does give detailed reasons and theory to back-up the practical suggestions which is of course good and is interesting if you have the time - but being in need of a cure in a hurry I found myself skipping many pages to get the really useful contents. I managed to skim read the book in a day and since then have had no further trouble with nightly fussiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this book, 8 April 2014
Recommend this book as a guide to soothing your baby
in a natural method
found it made sense and have since passed
it to friends and family

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book with good tips, 22 July 2013
The book is interesting with good tips on soothing your newborn for the first 3 months. No idea if they work as our baby hasn't arrived yet but will try them out when he does!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended., 5 Mar 2012
Em B (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read this book just before my daughter was born, so knew the principles and was ready to try them out. Needless to say I didn't have to wait too long as a few minutes home from hospital, our newborn daughter started crying, and as new parents who suddenly feel that we know absolutely nothing assumed she might have been hungry, even though she had had a good feed just before we left the ward about 20 minutes before. It didn't seem like an urgent, hunger cry more like a restless one perhaps as she was wriggling a lot. Anyway, we swaddled her as Dr Harp suggests in his book and she calmed down immediately. It works.

We also bought one of those ready to swaddle blankets with velcro which was handy and made swaddling very quick, as I couldn't really get the hang of doing it with just a normal blanket. This was an absolute essential for us in the those first few months.

The methods really helped us, but to be honest, we never really had to do all the steps as suggested in the book, as swaddling and gentle rocking was usually enough.

In her first few months, our baby was calm and content and only really cried when she was hungry. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tips but laborious and repetive!, 30 Oct 2011
J. Latham "JMB" (London) - See all my reviews
I was recommended this book by a friend who (along with her friends) swore by the advice it gives. And yes, there are some useful tips. Problem is these tips could have been explained in less than 20 pages, maybe even 5 pages - and yet he goes on and on, dragging out every little piece of information - presumably so it would qualify as a book rather than a fact sheet! I essentially just skimmed my way through, grabbed the key points and saved myself the bother of wading through the other 95%. I recommend you just ask a friend who has the book to just explain to you what the 5 S's are... save yourself the time!

3.0 out of 5 stars What happens after three months?, 15 Jun 2011
When I was in the midst of trying to calm a newborn baby this book seemed great - mainly because it backed up what I was already doing and gave some useful context/theory (i.e. that babies come out of the womb 'unfinished' and we, as parents, have to do everything we can to recreate the womb). What's not so useful is Dr Karp's advice on weaning baby off the various coping methods (mainly the swaddle, swinging and sucking). He glosses over this, seemingly forgetting the sheer amount of babies still hooked on dummies and rocking to sleep a long time past the 'missing fourth trimester'. On his advice I swaddled my baby for every nap, put her in a hammock so I could swing her and used me (because she wouldn't take anything else) as a dummy. She's coming up to four months and now expects this every time she falls asleep. If he was to do another edition again at least a few detailed chapters need to be added on moving beyond the 'fourth trimester', addressing just how addictive these coping methods are, and providing realistic time scales and strategies for removing them.

Baby Bliss: Your One-stop Guide for the First Three Months and Beyond