1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars A respectable collection, 5 Aug. 2008
William Cohen (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Funny You Should Say That: Amusing Remarks from Cicero to the Simpsons (Hardcover)
Since I work as a speechwriter, I choose to plough through books of quotations to find things to bedizen my scripts. I don't envy the effort Andrew Martin must have put in to create this fresh collection of lines taken from sources including popular culture and contemporary journalism.

I was at school with Guy Browning, who doesn't get enough credit for being one of our top humorous writers, but I'm pleased to see Martin picked a number of his quips. There are lots of good ones from the likes of Alan Bennett, "Sooner or later in life everything turns into work, including work." and P J O'Rourke "(Of East Germany) How the commies managed to make a poor country out of a nation full of Germans is a mystery."

I usually mark the good lines with a tick, and I have to say that the ticks are quite few and far between. There is a bit of dryness and a lack of zip to some of the entries. The impression is not improved by having nearly 2/5 of the pages devoted to biographies and a comprehensive index.

Funny You Should Say That: Amusing Remarks from Cicero to the Simpsons