on 29 September 2009
What kind of a reader am I? A well-educated older male who enjoys literary festivals; the Spice Girls' music does nothing for me and celebrity gossip bores me silly. So how on earth did I end up reading this book? Well, I was leafing through the second-hand books on a market stall when I came across it, and was curious to find out just what abject rubbish I might find between its covers... Amazingly, as soon as I started reading, I was gripped.
Having bought it, I quickly read it from start to finish. It is just so well written. And it really is disarmingly honest - I learned a lot about Victoria as a real human being, as well as about the anatomy of teenage angst, the workings of the music industry and the rarefied world of celebrity musicians and footballers.
Anyone who doesn't like the 'flash-forward' at the start can skip the first chapter; personally, the only chapter I didn't care for was the final one - too bland and gushy for me, and the only part of the book which seemed to be trying to manipulate the reader. Take out the first and the last chapters and you're left with 480 pages of fascinating reading!
on 6 May 2006
This is a glossy version of Queen Victoria's climb from playground outcast to celebrity pouter. Personally, I wasn't over keen on the thinly disguised smugness and her air of distaste towards anyone outside of her fragrant inner circle. The fact that Victoria claims that even her primary teachers and peers hated her has to say something about the persona beneath the gloss. Now...didn't I hear somewhere that Rebecca Loos is penning a tell all about her time as the Beckham's PA? Time to get those claws out again, Vic.
on 22 April 2007
I enjoyed this book but I couldn't help feel at the time that parts of Victoria's life have been edited to appear less shocking/gossipy. I felt that Posh still managed to be secretive at the same time as telling her story so it felt like a documentary of the events that had occurred. Her thoughts on her own life are incredibly limited it's more about interaction with others so it seems a bit weird when she expresses what she feels/thinks. She saves us the graphical details too which I'm sure that many of the readers will be incredibly disappointed about. I was surprised that I liked this book but someone should really show Posh what an autobiography is supposed appear like because in that aspect it scores a mere 3/5 for being so 'novelly'. Ps: I can't believe she bagged that hunk before Beckham, he was gorgeous too! I think even Posh was amazed!
on 18 September 2001
"Learning to fly" details the ups and downs of the tabloids favourite spice girl. What strikes you, as perhaps with all the spice girls is Victoria's honesty about her relationships, eating disorder and pressure of the media circus that follows her as a solo spice and as the wife of David Beckham. Fans will delight in the "gossip factor" of the book but partially interested readers will find the content heavy going...
on 2 January 2002
This must be the most awful, boring book I have ever attempted to read! I am not a big fan, but thought it might be interesting to see what she has to say for herself, but after comments such as "there were no black people at my school - we were all nice little white kids", and "I was so ugly as a child I looked like one of those kids who get put up for adoption" I could not bothered to carry on. There is no flow in the context - it is all over the place, and it's 'David this' and 'David that' - hardly the story of her learning to fly. Sorry, but this gets a thumbs down!
on 28 September 2001
The book is purely a platform for Mrs Beckham to voice her opinions and criticise others. I found it slow in parts and unflowing, repetious and not without typing mistakes. I assume these were because the book was rushed out to co-incide with the release of her solo single and her desire to go all out for publicity. Which brings me to her constant criticism of Geri Halliwell. I find it ironic that she blames Geri for her eating disorder as well as stating she has a problem with her ovaries and that she often discussed Geri's press attention as "ploys" for publicity for forthcoming singles etc and sets about explaining her own press attention as an intrusion. Now Mrs Beckham would never do that would she? I noticed she didn't bother to discuss David's driving ban, Brooklyn's "supposed" snatch outside Harrods and the fact that David got his licence back - conveniently. I would have thought this would have been an important issue to clear up, giving that she goes to such lenght to describe her feeling when she recieved kidnapp and death threats and how it affects her emotionally. But then again I guess when it never actually happened and she was caught out she didn't want to go there. So I guess leaving it out, speaks for itself. The extracts the papers published were by far the most interesting bits and I found the rest of it boring. However, what does come across in the book is how an unpopular girl who realised she wasn't the prettiest or most popular girl managed to rise to fame. I found that admirable and also it's a postivie message to most people. Also the relationship with her family especially her Mum who comes across in the book as a very special person. David comes across as a loving guy, but a bit too soft for his own good... I have to say I found it a bit stale and not a patch on Geri Halliwell's whose book was so well written, it just simply flowed. Sorry Victoria but I didn't enjoy it.
on 19 December 2015
I like the spice girls and i didn't realise posh had an autobiography out. First of all it starts of boring about a typical child who wanted to be a popstar and did all the classes and got turned down on many auditions. same old same old. It gets juicer as the boom goes on. The parts to look out for is Mark her security guard (Keep Your Eye On Him) and the media who despise her for no reason. It is worth a read. So I advise you to buy it.
on 18 May 2009
This book was a great introduction to who Victoria Adams is or was but lacking a lot to what becoming Victoria Beckham has made her to be circa 2001, really was lacking when it came to what her present identity at the time was but refreshing for her to divulge what her life was before the fame.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2006
This really is a truly laugh a loud book, though often it might not be in the way Posh would like.

It does really give you an insight into her life and is entertaining. But it does also give an interesting angle on the time when the Spice Girls thought they were invincible and could trash who they liked.

Victoria generally comes off as being likeable, although the parts when she thanks people for freebies compared to the parts where she crucifies people she sees as crossing her can stick in the craw.

Parts of the book will leave you open mouthed at what she sees as a hardship eg having to spend her birthday in a tracksuit because her bags have been lost/stolen on a flight because she takes everything she has with her because you don't have to pay excess on first class.

But, on balance this is a good read because she actually does say what she thinks, even when it might have been better for her to keep quiet. And it's very juicy on the sleb side.

Definitely a good read though, very good value for what she says.
on 8 January 2002
Victoria's story is very much a Cinderella story, the girl (to all her credit) slogged her little guts out and battled against the odds to get where she is today, and she succeeds! Then come all the nasty bits where her love for her husband are tested to the limits, the death threats to their beloved son must have been horrific, but they all pull through.
Then I hit the last 20 pages or so and the underdog story raises it's head again...David's got so much talent, David's so good looking....etc etc...sorry but at this point the underdog story begins to grate. She has a husband and son who adore her and worship the ground she walks on, she has the full support of her family, she's slim, beautiful and one of the most photographed women post Princess Di, she's rich, she's glamourous, she's chic...need I say more? She would have been better ending her book...my life is wonderful now, thank you all very much and left the last few "I'm still inferior" comments out.