on 29 September 2009
What kind of a reader am I? A well-educated older male who enjoys literary festivals; the Spice Girls' music does nothing for me and celebrity gossip bores me silly. So how on earth did I end up reading this book? Well, I was leafing through the second-hand books on a market stall when I came across it, and was curious to find out just what abject rubbish I might find between its covers... Amazingly, as soon as I started reading, I was gripped.
Having bought it, I quickly read it from start to finish. It is just so well written. And it really is disarmingly honest - I learned a lot about Victoria as a real human being, as well as about the anatomy of teenage angst, the workings of the music industry and the rarefied world of celebrity musicians and footballers.
Anyone who doesn't like the 'flash-forward' at the start can skip the first chapter; personally, the only chapter I didn't care for was the final one - too bland and gushy for me, and the only part of the book which seemed to be trying to manipulate the reader. Take out the first and the last chapters and you're left with 480 pages of fascinating reading!
on 6 May 2006
This is a glossy version of Queen Victoria's climb from playground outcast to celebrity pouter. Personally, I wasn't over keen on the thinly disguised smugness and her air of distaste towards anyone outside of her fragrant inner circle. The fact that Victoria claims that even her primary teachers and peers hated her has to say something about the persona beneath the gloss. Now...didn't I hear somewhere that Rebecca Loos is penning a tell all about her time as the Beckham's PA? Time to get those claws out again, Vic.
11 comment9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2007
I enjoyed this book but I couldn't help feel at the time that parts of Victoria's life have been edited to appear less shocking/gossipy. I felt that Posh still managed to be secretive at the same time as telling her story so it felt like a documentary of the events that had occurred. Her thoughts on her own life are incredibly limited it's more about interaction with others so it seems a bit weird when she expresses what she feels/thinks. She saves us the graphical details too which I'm sure that many of the readers will be incredibly disappointed about. I was surprised that I liked this book but someone should really show Posh what an autobiography is supposed appear like because in that aspect it scores a mere 3/5 for being so 'novelly'. Ps: I can't believe she bagged that hunk before Beckham, he was gorgeous too! I think even Posh was amazed!
on 18 September 2001
"Learning to fly" details the ups and downs of the tabloids favourite spice girl. What strikes you, as perhaps with all the spice girls is Victoria's honesty about her relationships, eating disorder and pressure of the media circus that follows her as a solo spice and as the wife of David Beckham. Fans will delight in the "gossip factor" of the book but partially interested readers will find the content heavy going...
on 22 May 2003
Wonderful book, couldn't put it down. Brought tears to my eyes and made me laugh, everything you need for a good book. If you do not like her, read this and i guarantee youll change your mind. She is lovely, her and David are lovely. It is a very personal and deep insight into every aspect of her life from beginning to now. Will probably read it again.
on 2 January 2002
This must be the most awful, boring book I have ever attempted to read! I am not a big fan, but thought it might be interesting to see what she has to say for herself, but after comments such as "there were no black people at my school - we were all nice little white kids", and "I was so ugly as a child I looked like one of those kids who get put up for adoption" I could not bothered to carry on. There is no flow in the context - it is all over the place, and it's 'David this' and 'David that' - hardly the story of her learning to fly. Sorry, but this gets a thumbs down!
0Comment41 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2001
The book is purely a platform for Mrs Beckham to voice her opinions and criticise others. I found it slow in parts and unflowing, repetious and not without typing mistakes. I assume these were because the book was rushed out to co-incide with the release of her solo single and her desire to go all out for publicity. Which brings me to her constant criticism of Geri Halliwell. I find it ironic that she blames Geri for her eating disorder as well as stating she has a problem with her ovaries and that she often discussed Geri's press attention as "ploys" for publicity for forthcoming singles etc and sets about explaining her own press attention as an intrusion. Now Mrs Beckham would never do that would she? I noticed she didn't bother to discuss David's driving ban, Brooklyn's "supposed" snatch outside Harrods and the fact that David got his licence back - conveniently. I would have thought this would have been an important issue to clear up, giving that she goes to such lenght to describe her feeling when she recieved kidnapp and death threats and how it affects her emotionally. But then again I guess when it never actually happened and she was caught out she didn't want to go there. So I guess leaving it out, speaks for itself. The extracts the papers published were by far the most interesting bits and I found the rest of it boring. However, what does come across in the book is how an unpopular girl who realised she wasn't the prettiest or most popular girl managed to rise to fame. I found that admirable and also it's a postivie message to most people. Also the relationship with her family especially her Mum who comes across in the book as a very special person. David comes across as a loving guy, but a bit too soft for his own good... I have to say I found it a bit stale and not a patch on Geri Halliwell's whose book was so well written, it just simply flowed. Sorry Victoria but I didn't enjoy it.
on 19 September 2001
I had been eagerly awaiting publication of this book for many weeks and I certainly wasn't disappointed - I read it cover to cover in 4 days. I found myself feeling sorry for the not particularly pretty young Victoria who had virtually no friends at school. But despite this she fought back to later become part of one of the most successful groups of the 90s. The love story between her and David Beckham was just as romantic as I imagined and I have total admiration for the love and devotion she feels for both David and Brooklyn. Her story is not just about the glitz and glamour of being famous and part of a "celebrity couple", the darker side is worse that anyone could possibly imagine as she describes kidnap and death threats against her and her family. Never again will I believe stories I read in the tabloids and hope that in a few years time she finds the inspiration to write a sequel to what was an enjoyable, interesing and sometimes humourous account of her life so far.
on 19 December 2015
I like the spice girls and i didn't realise posh had an autobiography out. First of all it starts of boring about a typical child who wanted to be a popstar and did all the classes and got turned down on many auditions. same old same old. It gets juicer as the boom goes on. The parts to look out for is Mark her security guard (Keep Your Eye On Him) and the media who despise her for no reason. It is worth a read. So I advise you to buy it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2011
Bought it for some light reading and loved it. She's not the most amazing writer ever, but comes across as a genuinely nice and happy person who just wants the best for her family. Reading it might just change your view of her- if you think she's a moody cow who clamours after paparazzi attention you'll find that you're maybe a bit wrong :)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse