Showing 1-10 of 48 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on 8 November 2001
The latest Jamie Oliver collection is as much a culinary pleasure as ever. The book production is stylish and feels more mature than the first volume (can't comment on the second) : out with the annoying illegible pastel blue titles that were difficult to read, and in with more tasty, unpretentious recipes using ingredients that are supposedly all available at a particular British supermarket if ever you are stumped for a place to find them. But more importantly, these recipes encourage the lads (and probably lasses too) to get down the shops, out of the oven-ready section, into the fresh produce sections, and then into the kitchen.
Although some of these recipes may be considered as fairly standard fare (toad in the hole, spag bol, chilli, and the fish finger buttie) and may not appeal to those who think of themselves as elite foodies, he has a great knack of demystifying ingredients and procedures as he goes along. The use of good flavours, loads of herbs and a minimum of cream - don't your arteries feel better? - continue to illustrate those tasty Italian and Euro-Thai styles which he and Nigel Slater have both cultivated so well. The cult of Jamie's personality may come through in the photos but who cares! The texts are light and fun to read. His enthusiasm simply oozes from the recipes. The kids' section is lively and serves a very useful purpose in the promotion of good food and good cooking. Having tried many of his recipes in the past - and speaking as a man who loves to slave over his stove - part of the fun is adapting them the second (and third, etc.) time around with a pinch of this and a slug of that.
The use of a recipe per page makes for a clear read and avoids editorial disasters such as the early 80s edition of a very famous tv cook's 3-part book where her truly divine squidgy chocolate log recipe tells you to "whisk until the mixture thickens" - then turn the page - "slightly - but be careful not to get it too thick"...!
So Jamie, what next? How's about a book of vegetarian recipes? If it can live up to the previous collections, I'm looking forward to it already!
on 7 September 2001
Jamie Oliver has done it again producing yet another book which will have you running to the kitchen to get cooking.
The trademark cheeky geezer style remains the same and the book is as much of a feast for the eyes as the earlier two. Full page colour photos of most of the dishes will have you salivating in anticipation; the food in this book demands to be cooked right now.
The recipes follow the familiar Oliver style; good fresh seasonal produce, gutsy flavours, loadsa herbs, minimal fuss and measurements by the handful.
Jamie's creed remains live to eat, don't eat to live but his style takes account of the fact that us lesser mortals are not full time chefs who can think about and prepare food full time with unlimited access to the best suppliers. His unbounded enthusiasm for his subject is utterly infectious and the chapter on cooking with children will hopefully inspire a generation of kids, and their parents, to look beyond chicken nuggets and beef burgers.
His straightforward approach to food means that the recipes are completely undaunting. This is a book which will provide many meals to be cooked as therapy at the end of a long hard day.
on 21 November 2001
I have an obsession with cookery books, anyone in my family will tell you.... I buy them willy nilly and then only use one or two recipes out of the hundreds listed.
I thought there was no hope for me, that I was destined to end up with rows upon rows of cookery books with useless recipes until "The Naked Chef" came to my rescue!
Now I have books where there are hundreds of recipes for me to use, not only am I blinded by the colourful photos that have me drooling (Sorry Jamie, the food - not you!) but the recipes are fool proof and seem to work all of the time, life is easy, time is on my hands and I do get a chance to drink with my mates.
All I can say is buy the book, it is fun, easy to read and simple - a bit like me! Seriously, a super gift for anyone, I have just bought it for my Sisters birthday, I suggest that anyone looking for a fun and useful present does the same.
In the meantime Jamie, if you ever want to cook round mine you are more than welcome!
on 6 November 2001
Even if you are getting tired of Jamie, and lets be honest the Naked Chef has had a lot of exposure recently, you still couldn't fail to be enervated by this book.
Once again Jamie seems to have managed to give the avid cookery book reader, cook, and collector of cookery books a bit of himself - something fresh, enthusiastic, certainly worth having, even if only for the occasional dip.
His recipes are sometimes simple, probably obvious to those in the know, but always effective and encouraging to the inexperienced (ie all those not working in Michelin star'd restaurants). It's strange but he makes you believe in his philosophy that it's hard to go wrong with simple techniques and good ingredients.
So confidence in cooking is bred from trying and practice and because you half believe it will work you have a go and try. Only half the battle, not a science but even when you fail you don't feel you let yourself down.
For my own part I have never read one of his books without wanting to cook something and I know his natural enthusiasm for food and cooking just comes across seemingly in his writing, to all ages. This book is no exception.
My 20 year old student son eats even better because of Jamie, and Borough Market is now his favourite haunt on a Saturday morning. Happy days indeed.
Like the good school teacher - we end up believing in ourselves and only realise years later it's because the teacher didn't knock the confidence us to start with.
If only one recipe in this book is as good as his rissoto recipe in the first and the sea bass baked with herbs in the second, well it really is money well spent. Well worth buying. A feel good, eat good book for all ages.
on 14 November 2001
The naked chef does it again! More fab recipes. I was a child in the '60s and grew up with TV cooks of the Fanny Craddock ilk, very upper class types, making everything look cloaked in mystery and terribly difficult! Jamie Oliver is like a breath of fresh air! He makes good cooking accessible to everyone. NO building towers of food, al la Rhodes, NO complicated recipes to follow. Jamie is the only TV chef I have ever seen cook in REAL kitchens. His recipes are easy and a joy to follow, no complicated terms that you don't understand! His writing style is a joy, he writes as he speaks and it is SIMPLICITY itself to produce good quality nosh with very little FUSS. No wonder young people love his books. This new book includes a section for kids, get them in the kitchen get them cooking with Jamie! If you haven't tried his books before, go on treat yourself, chuck out the ready meals.... get your laughin' gear round his tucker, I promise you darlin' his food is truly Pukka!
on 12 March 2002
After looking for this book on Amazon in the US - and waiting and waiting AND waiting - I finally decided to order it here. I realize now I made a HUGE mistake waiting - it is simply wonderful - very amusing - very practical and lets all of us Jamie Oliver fans see another part of the irresistable Naked Chef. I think it is a great gift for the chef for has everything and even for those just learning to cook. I have heard some complain that it (the recipes) aren't exact enough - but cooks all around know that cooking is simply trial and error but the inspiration is what is conveyed to those eating your culinary creations and Jamie Oliver does exactly that in this book! Besides his entire premise is that cooking doesn't have to be "cheffy" - a barrier that I really believe too many abide too. So get out there and get cracking - soo-o many recipes and so little time!
VINE VOICEon 22 December 2006
This is the third Jamie Oliver book I have bought and just like the others its both simple and effective.

For me Jamie's talent is in the way describes his recipes and how he explains how the dish should come together and each stage from the prep to the dishing up. This book isn't only about getting ingredients together and making a meal, here a very young Jamie gives helpful and practical advice on herbs, preparing a marinade and using stocks and sauces.

This book will have something for everyone. It goes from the simple to the sublime and many cases the skills you learn in one recipe transfer to another.

In short I would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of good cooking.

Some people don't like Jamie Oliver but for me his books have helped me learn and enjoy cooking. I've went from being a novice to cooking for my girlfriend, my family and for my friends. If I can do it then why can't anyone else?
on 17 August 2008
Don't believe the one star reviews - I've had this book for years now, I'm coming back to it again and again and I'm definitely not a beginner or a bad cook, even if I say so myself. The recipes I made all turned out well (apart from one time which was my own fault, I boiled the onions for stuffing too long, to find the exact point is a bit tricky) and they're definitely not all simple beginners' stuff. Try the pork fillet in Parma ham with the rhubarb, it's a great dish for entertaining. Of course, the book contains easy recipes (and those that look impressive are often easy enough to accomplish, if you follow the recipe) but perhaps that's just the good thing about it: beginners won't be frightened away. This is actually the book that got my brother in law cooking and he's by now an accomplished and very good cook!
on 14 January 2002
From fish finger sandwich to scrumptious deserts Jamie Olver is the best.
Down to earth recepies that will get you cooking for your friends!
on 11 September 2001
Oliver whips up the same magic that he has been creating in his last two books. Like always there are various recipes for different occasions. So, whether you are looking for some healthier, cheaper option or simply an easier one (say cooking for two people), you will find it all in this delightful book. Also, interestingly there is a section called 'fridge friends' where you can pick up tips on all that crunchy, sinful stuff that you stock in your refrigerator. Check it out to see whether the Naked Chef (one has to figure out why he is called that) brings you some happy days. He has certainly brought me some!