4.0 out of 5 stars A Primary Teacher's Perspective...
Another highly successful collection of books that give a new twist to faeries and all things mythical. Except unlike so many others of its kind, this book focuses upon the rather unlikely and unsavoury young aristocrat criminal mastermind, Artemis Fowl. On a quest to steal leprechaun gold, he holds a young faery to ransom but gets more than he bargains for as the winged...
Published on 16 Sep 2008 by G. Munday

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather a two-dimensional world
I picked up this one in a charity shop because Eoin Colfer (who I had always thought was called Coifer) has been announced as authoring the new H2G2 novel, 'And Another Thing...', and I was interested to see what he was like.

Published on 18 Jun 2009 by Jim J-R

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Artemis Fowl, 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
I've made my children a promise - for a year and a day, I'll only read fiction aimed at young people. Artemis Fowl: what a place to begin!

The novel revokes every stereotype that children's fiction offered me in the seventies and offers instead a modern and sculpted twist on the world of magic and fairies. The concept of a villainous child prodigy is bleak but combined with the weaknesses that Fowl exhibits, every reader will be left willing him to succeed in his most dastardly of plots. Fortunately for the morality of the reader, the heroic fairy world is equipped to the hilt with a world-stopping array of technical gadgets and IT gizmos to stop Fowl in his tracks: almost. The cinematic narrative is easily imagined. This novel is creativity at its best.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for all, 7 May 2006
RM Brown "rachmarie1611" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
As an adult, I had never heard of Artemis Fowl until a friend (also an adult) recommended the books to me.....from then I was hooked! Eoin Colfer manages to write Artemis in a way that makes you feel as if you actually know him. Don't let the fact that fairys are involved in the story put you off. Its a fabulous read and will have you hooked

5.0 out of 5 stars You Never Get Too Old For This Kind Of Thing, 15 May 2009
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
I initially read this book when I was around 12 years old, and though I thoroughly enjoyed it at the time, it was always 2nd best to my other favourite authors like JK Rowling and LJ Smith. But re-reading it now 7 years later I think I can finally understand exactly why though I enjoyed this book but maybe didn't feel the magic as much as my other favourite series - becuase it's spark lies in the authors sharp wit and hilarious commentary that, at the age of 12 pretty much went straight over my head.

For those of you who don't know, Artemis Fowl is the most intelligent 12 year old in all of Europe, and his IQ would give most adults more than 4 times his age a run for his money. But after his father dissappeared the previous year and his mother since has locked herself in her bedroom afraid of light, Artmemis has been able to get up to whatever mischief he sees fit, including hatching a devious plan to not only capture a fairy, but part the race from a substantial amount of gold. Will he manage the unmanageable, what the mud people (that's us) have tried time and time again over the span of many centuries to accomplish but have always been outfoxed by the fairy race's far superior technology? Read and find out!!

Fast paced, funny, witty, full of immagination and characters who you love to hate, and hate to love...I'm glad I decided to return to this one and now look forward to reading the new instalments, when I initially read this series had not yet been released.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book needs to be read by anyone and everyone, 30 July 2003
ardel robbie (northern england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
there is no doubt about it harry potter and jk rowling pull in the mega bucks - be it film deals or the huge amount of books sold - but artemis fowl and eoin colfer deserve far more recognition than is bestowed upon them.
with artemis fowl your thrown deep into the action and adventure theres no wallying around establishing of characters - your given an instant profile of artemis and all of the characters in the book - and your instantly hooked - i read this book in a single sitting and i didnt even feel short changed i was almost relishing the ending when it came - i kept re-reading paragraphs to satisfy my lust for adventure - i was never dissapointed.
the book is very cinematic - you can easily imagine the chapters being played out on the big screen - and there wouldnt have to be any cutting of corners as the majority of this grand adventure is set in our world - so we have a very grounded story which brings you closer to the action.
there is no doubt this book is far more exciting than any harry potter book (i do love those books though) - the only aspect that this loses out is the sheer volume of the jk rowling chronicles !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reading For Smart People, 18 July 2003
Gianella (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
Hey there!!!!! If you don't know if you should buy Artemis Fowl, well, I reccomend you to. It is one of the best books I have read. I liked it even better than Harry Potter, aand that is saying much. Artemis is a genius boy that, aided by his bodyguard, Butler, decides to aabdduct a fairy and hold him for ransom. What he doesn't expect is that the fairy turns out to be a girl. Not a submissive one, really, and she makes Artemis' plan much more complicated.
Artemis Fowl is for open-minded people, who don't mind technology, fantasy and humor blended together making a delicious mix.
In other words, Artemis Fowl is the best fantastic book from moddern times. Don't hesitate. Buy it now. Trust me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plot & humour, no characterisation or depth, I loved it, 27 July 2008
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
How to tell whether an adult would like these books?

1 Do you like action books / action movies with pacy plots?
2 ... even if there is no characterisation or emotional depth?
3 Would you like a book that has a lot banter in it, but also has a dry humour running all the way through?

If you said 'yes' three times, I think you would like the book. Even one 'no' and I'm not so sure. I loved it.

It has a pacy plot. Think Jason Bourne, James Bond, Batman movies, Die Hard. Like these examples, it has very little characterisation.

It's got a lot of humour, though sometimes the banter gets a bit much. It reminded me of Terry Pratchett, but lighter. Artemis Fowl, the 12 year old criminal mastermind, is part James Bond, part James Bond villain, with a little pinch of mafia godfather. He is ridiculously clever, in an entertaining way, motivated by money again in an entertaining way, but endearing too.

Other reviewers argue whether it is or is not like Harry Potter. I think it's nothing like HP. More like part Robert Ludlum (the author of Jason Bourne), part Terry Pratchett (drier humour, but not as fantastically weird as TP).

It does have goblins, elves and dwarves in it, but don't let that put you off - it's an action book in a fantasy setting, rather than a fantasy book (in my view).

For an adult, it's a light read (Waterstones had it in the 9-12 year old section), but a fun way of filling a few hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars A "Fowl" Book?, 7 July 2005
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
I was intrigued as i was told i was going to read artemis fowl, faries and a criminal mastermind, it wont work! Yet, i was pleasently suprised that it did. there may be difficulty following at the start but if you get into it, it will really appeal to you
The personallity and background of Artemis waas explained perfectly. Artemis , a genius child who seeks out a challenge to put his brain to the test, and his right hand man Butler , a beefy master of martial arts with more brain than braun, attemp to take a leprichaun to ransom but dont know what there in for. If your a die hard fan of magic and mayhem , would recomend this book to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Artemis Fowl, genius and wise beyond his years., 11 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Hardcover)
You think you know the world you're living in? Think again, fairies live very close to us.
Artemis Fowl, a genius, or a crazy mad man?
He's plotting the crime of the centuary; ransom money with a twist, from the fairy folk.
Don't be decieved by his age, 12, Artemis Fowl will rock your world. Harry Potter is a legend in the making, but watch out Artemis Fowl is on your tail.
With appearances from Fairies finest; Root, Holly and the ever witty Foaly! And the crime masters henchmen; Butler and Juliet. We have the perfect if reailty altering Artemis Fowl.
I couldn't put the book down it was that good -KAReN Chan-

5.0 out of 5 stars "You are just a thief!", 6 Aug 2007
Sebastian Fernandez (Tampa, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
Artemis Fowl was the recipient of the accusation in the title of this review, but even though he is a thief, he is also much more. The twelve-year-old genius has decided to use his intelligence to pursue a life of crime, so we find an unusual situation. A story with an evil main character is not a completely new concept; Jean-Baptiste Grenouille in the outstanding "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" or Serge A. Storms in the series of books by Tim Dorsey come to mind. If we go into a different media, then Tony Soprano is one of the most famous examples in our time. What is novel though, is using this concept in a book targeted to young adults, and this is certainly a reason for controversy. I have to say though that the final product is so good, that the good aspects of this effort more than overcome this "drawback".

Artemis Fowl descends from a prestigious family of billionaires that a few years ago suffered a reversal of fortune. His father has disappeared and is presumed dead and her mother has gone crazy with grief. Artemis is decided to return his family to where it is supposed to be and crafts a plan designed to do just this. To try to accomplish his goal, he uses the help of Butler, a mountain of a man, expert in combat, and who as his name suggests is Artemis' butler, and Juliet, Butler's sister. The plan involves kidnapping a fairy and then getting a ransom in gold, which is a lot harder than it sounds.

The story involves a myriad of creatures besides fairies, such as goblins, elves, dwarves, centaurs and trolls. These variety allows the author to create several characters within each one of these groups that are interesting, peculiar and endearing. But the creative process does not stop there, since the author uses some of these peculiar characteristics, as well as some acute comments to make us laugh us loud in the middle of the action. In my opinion the funniest scene in the book involved Mulch, a dwarf, and Butler, you will know what I am talking about when you get there, you cannot miss it.

As I mentioned before, this book has many aspects worth of praise;the imagination in creating the story, the "logic" in the world in which it develops, and the finely tuned humor. But besides that, we get a glimpse at Artemis' mind. To others he is a calculating genius, but we get to understand that he has doubts about his choices and that there is still a scared kid behind the facade.

Except for the obvious similarity in terms of the creatures included in the story, I would not think of comparing this with Harry Potter in any level. I think both efforts are excellent in their own way. I would compare the humor though, with the one presented by Lemony Snicket in "A Series of Unfortunate Events"; I think that if you like this series you will probably like "Artemis Fowl" too. I am looking forward to read the next book by Colfer, which I already ordered.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather a two-dimensional world, 18 Jun 2009
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)

Overall, Colfer's writing ability does show through, but this particular novel did little to excite me. Yes, it is aimed a childrens' market, but so were Charlie Higsons' Young Bond books, and J K Rowling's Harry Potter series, both of which I found engaging and entertaining.

Artemis Fowl however seems to live in a rather two dimensional world. The fairy world isn't explained in enough detail for me, and doesn't seem very real. We're aligned with Fowl, his Butler, and two of the fairies for different parts of the narrative, and I felt that this took away some of the suspense and mystery that could have been generated by being aligned with one character.

In terms of the plot, it was fairly straight-forward, with nothing unexpected, and nothing very deep. So all in all, I think Colfer should be a good author to continue H2G2, as long as he knows that he's targeting an older audience. I don't think I'll be picking up any further books in this series though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

Artemis Fowl: The Case So Far
Artemis Fowl: The Case So Far by Eoin Colfer (Paperback - 6 Oct 2005)
Used & New from: £9.99