5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books ever written
Published on 20 Jan 2003 by Rob Monster

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version flawed
This is a fabulous novel and my son and I both enjoyed it immensely.... but someone has done a very poor job of translating it to Kindle and replaced all instances of 'body' with 'BodyTextCenterLineSpace'.

Not very classy, oh publisher! You didn't bother to proof-read it before sending it to the world and yet you are happy to charge us full price for it...
Published 22 months ago by C. Harding

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books ever written, 20 Jan 2003
Roald Dahl's darkly sarcastic but never patronising style has made his books hugely popular with children all over the world. This is my favourite book of his by a long way. His books give children exactly what they want to read with a child's-eye view and not an adult's perception of what children should like which makes so many children's books disappointing to read. They are also hugely funny with great characters showing just how absurd grown ups are and how unfair the adult world can be. I've never met anyone who didn't like Roald Dahl's childrens books when they were a child.
I first read this book in hospital as a child and it has been with me ever since. I do truly believe it is one of the top five best books ever written. It has a great story, great characters and it's a great exciting and funny read. I would recommend it to anyone of any age, from young children having it read to them to older children reading theirselves or even adults so that they never forget what it's like to be a child.
Some people have even considered this book to have religious symbolism with it's themes of tempation and sin. I'm not sure about that, and I'm not going to go into it here, but it shows the levels this book could be read at if you felt the need to overanalyse it.
A great, hugely funny & gripping book I would highly recommend to anyone who hasn't read it yet. I challenge anyone not to enjoy this book. Even the stuffiest and most boring adult will find something to appreciate here and all children will be simply delighted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 20 Jan 2013
I downloaded this kindle version for my 8 year old daughter's tablet recently, as she enjoys reading and loved the film.

She loves it and was engrossed whilst reading. She especially loved the illustrations and whilst scrolling through, I didn't notice any obvious spelling or grammer errors.

It would be worth noting that as these books and books by this author are geared towards children, the publishers should take this into account when setting the kindle price! This kindle version was quite expensive, more so than the books I download for myself. To encourage young children to want to read, the price should be more reasonable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlie, 9 Sep 2010
Mrs. Marion Peart "Marion" (Cumbria UK) - See all my reviews
Wonderful book - loved by our grandchildren - aged 4 and 6.
Illustrations make it much more acceptable for younger children.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book review by Melis Trimmer, 18 Feb 2009
A Kid's Review
The story of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is about a very poor boy from a very poor family. The family was so poor they can't even afford anything but cabbage, a small cottage and a small dirty creasy bed. The poor boy was named Charlie, Charlie's dad is the only one with a job and his job was rubbish, but I suppose it is better than nothing!!! His job was screwing caps on the top of tooth paste tubes. He barely gets any money from his job. Now for the exciting bit of the story - One fine day ... the world's best chocolate inventor " drum roll please" willy Wonka - who wore a black top hat and a purple jacket, he has got quite a pale face and a long walking stick. Anyway, as I was saying, one day Willy Wonka made 5 golden tickets and randomly placed them in to 5 of his chocolate bars. Each child that got one of these tickets was allowed to go into Willy wonka's chocolate factory and see every single tichy bit of chocolate that willy wonka had invented! I really mean every bit of chocolate. The five lucky children in order were Augustus Gloop who was very fat and ugly, the second golden ticket went to Veruca Salt, the third ticket went to Violet Beaureguard; she was so gross she chewed gum for days and when she had dinner she stuck her gum behind her ear and she put her gum on the edge of her bed every night. The fouth person was Mike Tevee. Mike, his eyes were virtually stuck on the TV all the time. Charlie was so worried in case he would not win the last golden ticket. The 5th person was............CHARLIE!!! Charlie was so happy that he quickly ran home to tell everyone he could bring one person with him and he decided to choose his favorite person who was Grandpa Joe....

I would recommend it to my dad because he loves chocolate and he would proberly like to be Willy Wonka!!!

My favourite part of the story is when Augustus Gloop got sucked UP!!

My favourite character is Willy Wonka.

My favourite setting is the chocolate lake.

I would give it a 5 star

5.0 out of 5 stars Superstar, 7 April 2001
By A Customer
I grew up listening to the teachings of Mr Dahl, having his books read to me, then re-reading them when I was older. One of my favourite has always been the story of Charlie, and his rages to riches tale.
This is a wonderfully lighthearted novel, which has the social and moral undertones evident in many of Dahls works.
For those of you unfamiliar with the work,I will not spoil it by giving away the plot, however, I must say that this is a very involving novel, and we easily find ourselves seeped into the unfortunate world of Charlie, as we travel with him through his adventures. I found my self in a lottery-win style state of mind when Charlie finally found the final Golden Ticket, the key to the door of his happiness.
All in all, I simply must recommend this novel to everyonde, young and old. It is one of those finds that you will never let go: I still have the copy I was read as a four yearold.

5.0 out of 5 stars chocolate heaven, 19 Sep 2009
Mrs. H. Evans - See all my reviews
My 2 boys, aged 5 and 6, loved listening to this and it kept them very quiet in the car for longer than expected. They have listened to it again and again since they got it and don't seem to be bored yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aspen class review of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, 9 Oct 2010
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a book written by the famous author, Roald Dahl. It is illustrated by Quentin Blake and published by Puffin Books. We read part of the book in our literacy lessons as part of our work on Authors and Letters, and wanted to share our ideas!

The story follows Charlie Bucket. He wins a Golden Ticket which allows him to go into the famous chocolate factory of Willy Wonka. Lots of adventures happen inside the factory, and there are some astonishing descriptions of the sweets and children in the factory.

The main character is Charlie Bucket. He is our favourite character because he is very polite, kind, cheerful, patient, enthusiastic and he is not too young but not too old either. The magical Willy Wonka is another character, and he owns the biggest chocolate factory in the world. Grandpa Joe is Charlie's grandpa, and he is ninety six and a half years old!

We love all the parts of the story that describe the delicious, creamy chocolate of course! The explosive plot is also very exciting. Our favourite parts are when Mike Teavee gets sent across the room through a television, when Grandpa Joe does a victory dance after Charlie finds a Golden Ticket, when Augustus Gloop goes up the chocolate pipe, when Willy Wonka takes the children to see the squirrels, and when Violet Beauregarde is turned into a blueberry. We also love the Oompa Loompas because they are as small as your knee and they sing lots of funny songs.

We think that Roald Dahl's story teaches you not to be greedy, and that everyone can enjoy life and be happy.

We would highly recommend this outstanding book for children like us, between the ages of six and twelve.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Dahl's masterpiece, 12 Feb 2008
Plot: Charlie bucket lives in a big but poor family in a tiny house at the edge of the town. Charlie's birthday is near and he gets a bar of chocolate which he only nibbles on so it lasts. When Charlie finds the golden ticket in a different chocolate bar, created by Willy Wonka, his life is about to change...

The author's comment about the book: Roald Dahl, the writer of this book, thought that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory one of the most complex books to write. His first draft included fifteen dreadful children. His nephew Nicholas read it and said it was terrible and tedious so Dahl then knew he definitely had to alter the book a lot.

Rating and Recommendation: I would rate this masterpiece 8/ 10 and I hope to keep it for ever; I would recommend it to Roald Dahl fans, 7 - 12 year olds in particular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cross Generational Delight, 4 Nov 2009
When I was a boy ... no really ... I used to love hanging around in the school library and the book I used to most want to read, one of the few to really capture my imagination (we're talking mid seventies) was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Very, very fond memories. What a delight then to have sent it (by the magic of Amazon) across the Atlantic to my 6 year old nephew and to hear he just loves it and wants it to have it read over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars thumbs up, 28 Jun 2013
Bought for my 8yr old son for his birthday as he loves Charlie and Choc factory! Has book and film already and now has the set! Its very good and he loves it.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Puffin audiobooks)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Puffin audiobooks) by Roald Dahl (Audio Cassette - 29 Oct 1998)
Used & New from: £0.75