5.0 out of 5 stars Listen and enjoy ( and remember Animal Magic!)
I'd always enjoyed being read and later reading myself the Just So Stories. With children of my own I started them on these stories and having a cd of them means we can enjoy them on the move. The joy of hearing Jonnie Morris' super animal voice characterisations just adds to the enjoyment - takes me back to watching Animal Magic - deep joy!
Four year old daughter...
Published on 15 April 2008 by Helen Whall

3.0 out of 5 stars tiny tiny book
Obviously, "The Just So Stories" is one of the greatest children's books ever written: however it's worth noting the dimensions of this version. I'm sure they're clearly stated, but I managed to miss them and buy a book that's impractically small and thin-paged. If you want a slightly posh copy you can keep in your pocket then this is for you - otherwise look elsewhere.
Published on 6 Jan 2011 by marrog

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen and enjoy ( and remember Animal Magic!), 15 April 2008
Helen Whall "Aitch" (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
Four year old daughter enjoys listening to the stories but my nine year old son has become a great fan - this now regularly is on his cd player in his room.
Buy this and you'll all be able to listen together and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deliciously humorous, 8 Jan 2001
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
These stories are tremendous. I can't wait to share them with my daughter. They made me laugh with delight and are just chock full of quirky, off beat humour that seems so modern considering when they were written. They are filled with images to fire the imagination and the complementary illustrations are fabulous, although in this edition somewhat difficult to see on occasion. A must read for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stories, beautifully told,, 31 Mar 2010
This review is from: More Just so Stories (Audio CD)
This is probably marketed to families with young children but both my 19yr old son and I really enjoyed listening in the car as a change from music. The stories are familiar to me at least but to hear them read by Johnny Morris was a delight. His marvellous voice and pace and ability to produce different appropriate voices for the animals and people in the stories really brought them to life, and the simplicity and repetition in the stories makes perfect sense when you hear them like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that begs to be read aloud, 10 Mar 2001
Kipling's classic volume of stories concerns the great questions of history; How the Whale got his Throat, How the Camel got his Hump, How the Alphabet was Made and many other thorny dilemmas. The language is sophisticated yet often whimsical and children love to hear the words read aloud. It is tempting to scan ahead and change things, substitute more contemporary phrases for the old but, if you can, resist the urge. Kipling was a master of the language. His writing is balanced and fluid and while it may seem dated when taken piece by piece, its sum is far greater than its parts. Read The Cat that Walked by Himself and you will never look at your own pet in quite the same way again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 16 April 2010
M. Mitchell - See all my reviews
This review is from: More Just so Stories (Audio CD)
If you loved listening to Johnny Morris then this is for you. The way he reads the stories is great. Even my son (8) loves listening to them and he hasn't a clue who Johnny Morris is!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just So Good, 8 Feb 2009
R. Leslie (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
My 3 and 5 year old boys love listening to these Just So Stories in the car or in bed. The stories themselves are engaging and entertaining and Johnny Morris reads them very expressively, as those of us who grew up watching him on TV would expect. I would have rated it 5 stars but felt that there could have been more of the Just So stories on the disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars This audio tape is a wonderful gift for any child ., 5 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Just So Stories: Unabridged (Puffin Classics) (Audio Cassette)
The Just So Stories are a real pleasure to listen to. Tony Robinson, with his fantastic range of voices and tones brings to life a host of wonderful characters : man, woman and beast. Kipling's poetic language is thoroughly enjoyed and absorbed by my five year old son who requests the tape for every car journey, at bedtime, first thing in the morning (our first lie-in in years)and even of a rainy afternoon.He quotes lines from "How the whale got its throat", adores the story of the first cat "who walks by himself and all places are alike to me" and frequently comes out with gems of information about the pull of the tides and such like.This audio tape is great value for money giving two and a half hours of stories and poems with short well composed musical interludes. It is a far cry from those awful singalong tapes and is full of humour and interest that is enjoyed by the adults as much as the children.It makes a wonderful gift for any child and is a welcome distraction from the lure of t.v. and playstation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just so stories, 8 Jun 2008
Ms. E. Clarke - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful book with amazing illustrations. Great for bedtime reading for children and adults like!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb rendition - a joy to listen to for all ages., 31 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Just So Stories (Audio CD)
This is an excellent version of these well known and well loved stories. Containing all but the 2 Alphabet tales Mr Ducarel's rendition is spellbinding. His deep, smooth, chocolate tones resonate with humour and delight in each character and its antics, passing his own enjoyment onto the listener and drawing them in. He distinguishes well between narrator and creature with a wonderful array of voices and there is no doubt he is a highly skilled Storyteller.This 2 CD set gives excellent value.For those who already know and love the stories and newcomers to these classic tales I would highly recommend this particular version as a gift to treasure.(I even gave it to my Oxford Grad. brother-in-law) My own children listen over and over to it both day and night completely entranced by such joyous and entertaining literature.
Stimulating by day, soothing by night - its also perfect for long car journeys. Buy it - your children will benefit, and so will you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 16 Sep 2001
Miss M. Hannan (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
Incredibely funny, and so well told, the Just So Stories explain how everything, from the leopard's spots, to the alphabet, came into being. First read to me when I was a child, they grow better each telling and even now when I want something good to read my hand instantly wanders to this book on my shelf. Definitely recommended to children, teens, and adults alike, a super book all round.

Just So Stories: Unabridged (Puffin Classics)
Just So Stories: Unabridged (Puffin Classics) by Rudyard Kipling (Audio Cassette - 29 Jan 1998)
Used & New from: £0.14