on 11 September 2000
I was on safari in Africa when I read this book. My visual senses are finely tuned as an enthusiastic photographer. But Kuki's book brought the whole country to life by describing the smells, vastness, dangers and wonders of the continent. In several ways I found the real Africa more in her book than in the distracting tourist attractions there. The book is a reason to love reading and spend time at it.I cried for 15 minutes at one point.
on 12 September 2013
A beautiful story of love and compassion and the excitement of Africa. She describes it all so well you are there with her.
on 2 September 2014
Wonderful , so want to go back to Africa. reminded me so much of the people and places we have seen, such happy memories
on 9 May 2014
A brilliant book. Enthralling and very touching. It will have you in tears and yet is very life affirming. I loved it.
on 7 February 2005
I read this book cover to cover in two days. Kuki Gallmann is an admirable woman, who made great sacrifices to fullfill her childhood dream of living in Africa. The book details an important period in Kenya's history, when private landowners began to take on board the responsibility they had towards their land and the people and animals which occupied it. Kuki captures her own personal sense of responsibility very poetically, as well as detailing meetings with known Kenyan figures like Richard Leakey, who are involved with conservation to this day. I would definitely encourage anyone with a fascination with East Africa to read this book, it stays with you for sometime.
on 12 February 2013
Fabulous, fabulous book. Read it years ago and it stayed with me. Still as good as I remember. Beautiful Africa.
on 31 May 2014
I loved the author's enthusiasm for Africa. Have bought the book for my niece who visited Africa. Made me cry.
on 22 February 2013
Very satisfied with this purchase which I still have to read but the book is in excellent condition thank you
on 19 February 2014
Sad and inspiring - a very well written book that will grip you from the first to the last page.
on 18 January 2002
A book that tugged at my heartstrings and earned my deepest admiration for a woman who brings out the best in Africa - a land that stores and holds proud her tears like gold nuggets. I felt that I was a member of her family and had lived through it all with her. Will be looking out for more about her and her life.