5.0 out of 5 stars i dreamed of africa
My husband was born in Kenya in 1952 and died here in London in 1999. Just before he died he said to me that he wanted to go to Kenya but obviously he was too ill to go and would never get the chance to go back there.
I got an opportunity to travel there with a friend, that I met this year, and I was so moved by my experience there. It is the most beautiful place in...
Published on 4 Aug 2010 by bernie

3.0 out of 5 stars Every coin has two sides....!!!
I read Kuki Galman's book. I also watched the film "I Dreamt of Africa" based on her book. And I also read somewhere her daughter's comment," Karen Blixen ran away, my mother did not."

Well, last year I happen to stay in Loisaba Lodge, Laikipia, adjacent to Mrs. Galman's ranch. What I learnt there about Galmans was not very flattering. On arrival in Kenya, she...
Published on 27 April 2008 by A. Kumar

5.0 out of 5 stars Africa encapsulated in a highly emotive and intriguing text., 3 Dec 2000
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
A must for anyone interested in this field and even more so for those who are not. Gallmann works this master peice in such a way to intrigue any reader. Without even closing your eyes, you're in Africa - there in the amazing estate with Kuki, her animals and her loved ones. If you didnt want to go to Africa before this - you certainly will after. An outstanding text - quite disturbing, yet strangely fascinating to know it's true. Caution: In those editions with pictures - dont view them before the end of the book. This can ruin the suspense. Buy it and enjoy. However, dont expect to put the book down till it's finished - I didn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars So beautiful and surreal - the first book I've ever cried in, 25 Jun 2000
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
Reading "I Dreamed of Africa" was so heart-renching, I cried throughout most of this beautiful book. Kuki writes as if in a vivid dream - so magnificently. She is truly a strong, courageous woman to have been through so much. She is a role-model for all of us in love with Africa and her beauty and dangers...

5.0 out of 5 stars You bring me back to africa after 40 years, 19 Dec 2001
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
I spend my time in Kenya stationed as a hostess in SAS from 1959 to 1967, i have seen all the places 10 years earlier than Kuki Gallmann, and I feel so happy to be with her book, she feels what all people that enter Kenya feels, it is something strage, but we all feel the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars As a photographer I saw Africa; here I touched it., 11 Sep 2000
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
I was on safari in Africa when I read this book. My visual senses are finely tuned as an enthusiastic photographer. But Kuki's book brought the whole country to life by describing the smells, vastness, dangers and wonders of the continent. In several ways I found the real Africa more in her book than in the distracting tourist attractions there. The book is a reason to love reading and spend time at it.I cried for 15 minutes at one point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, so want to go back to Africa, 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
Wonderful , so want to go back to Africa. reminded me so much of the people and places we have seen, such happy memories

4.0 out of 5 stars An emotional tale of African dreams, 7 Feb 2005
Kirstie (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
I read this book cover to cover in two days. Kuki Gallmann is an admirable woman, who made great sacrifices to fullfill her childhood dream of living in Africa. The book details an important period in Kenya's history, when private landowners began to take on board the responsibility they had towards their land and the people and animals which occupied it. Kuki captures her own personal sense of responsibility very poetically, as well as detailing meetings with known Kenyan figures like Richard Leakey, who are involved with conservation to this day. I would definitely encourage anyone with a fascination with East Africa to read this book, it stays with you for sometime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, heart-rending, a tapestry of love and growth, 18 Jan 2002
kirbyha@onetel.net.uk (United Kingdom ex South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
A book that tugged at my heartstrings and earned my deepest admiration for a woman who brings out the best in Africa - a land that stores and holds proud her tears like gold nuggets. I felt that I was a member of her family and had lived through it all with her. Will be looking out for more about her and her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 27 July 2014
Very good book, I felt I was there every step on the way with her through the good & bad

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
One of the saddest and most beautiful stories I have ever read -- lots of tears

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 23 Oct 2014
A great story and an easy read, making you want to move to Kenya!

I Dreamed of Africa (Penguin audiobooks)
I Dreamed of Africa (Penguin audiobooks) by Kuki Gallmann (Audio Cassette - 30 Jun 1994)
Used & New from: £3.17