5.0 out of 5 stars i dreamed of africa
My husband was born in Kenya in 1952 and died here in London in 1999. Just before he died he said to me that he wanted to go to Kenya but obviously he was too ill to go and would never get the chance to go back there.
Published on 4 Aug 2010 by bernie

3.0 out of 5 stars Every coin has two sides....!!!
I read Kuki Galman's book. I also watched the film "I Dreamt of Africa" based on her book. And I also read somewhere her daughter's comment," Karen Blixen ran away, my mother did not."

Published on 27 April 2008 by A. Kumar

5.0 out of 5 stars i dreamed of africa, 4 Aug 2010
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
I got an opportunity to travel there with a friend, that I met this year, and I was so moved by my experience there. It is the most beautiful place in the world and I know now 10 years after my husbancs death, what he meant when he said he wanted to go to Kenya. I brought back some plant seeds and have planted them on his grave now that they are little plants. As he could not go to Kenya in 1999 this was a wonderful gift for me to be able to take a little bit of Kenya to him in 2010.
Why I am telling you this is because when I bought and read 'I Dreamed of Africa' I was truly touched by this ladies experience and identified so much with her story. She has written most beautifully what I cannot express in writing or even in words.
This is a worderful story of a beautiful country and spirituality in every sense. I will keep this book and will re-read it.
This book did for me what no other book could.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tour de Force, 21 May 2010
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
This book is one of the most beautifully crafted autobiographies I have been privileged to read. It is a tour de force of description and emotion. It draws the reader in from page 1. and one remains transfixed throughout. It is almost beyond belief how an individual who suffered such personal grief and loss, could create an atmosphere of such deep love and understanding of a country which took away so much and yet brought the author, ultimately, such peace. Written from the soul, this book is a deeply personal journey, filled with joy and sadness and eventually, with the help of Africa, its people and its animals, a journey of self-discovery, an understanding of the fragility of human life and finally, happiness. An absolute 'must read'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Every coin has two sides....!!!, 27 April 2008
A. Kumar "Book Lover" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)

Well, last year I happen to stay in Loisaba Lodge, Laikipia, adjacent to Mrs. Galman's ranch. What I learnt there about Galmans was not very flattering. On arrival in Kenya, she mostly stayed in Nairobi while her husband managed the farm. She refused to stay in Laikipia. She only moved to the ranch when her husband died. And during making of the film "I Dreamt of Africa", she gave very hard time to the film unit people.

As far as the book is concerned, I would prefer Karen Blixen's "Out Of Arica" over "I Dreamt of Africa". Former is professionally written. Galman's book is like a child writing.

2.0 out of 5 stars A one-sided view of Africa, 31 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
As the story of Kuki Gallmann this book cannot fail to move. But as a vision of Africa it is very much the White Man's story. Africans seem to have a very secondary role, either as staff or in cultural set-pieces. And while the commitment to wildlife conservation is laudable, the commitment to the wellbeing of Kenyans is sadly missing. By all means read this book; but for another, better angle on contemporary Africa, try Dervla Murphy's "The Ukimwe Road".

4.0 out of 5 stars A heartbreaking story of a woman who never seems to give up., 7 Oct 2000
Miss NRH Cross (Newark, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I found this book really sad because of the tradegy in Kuki's life but at the same time it was encouraging. Despite the life she has lead she is full of optimism and energy and it made me want to meet her. She brought Africa alive to me and it was interesting to see how life changed for them in Africa. The life she and her friends and family had built for themselves in Africa is amazing. Her love of animals and the enviornment is so important to her and to the memory of her loved ones. It made me want to read on about her life. What struck me the most is how she was able to learn how to live in harmony with the animals and culture around her. Through everything she is still alive and living her life to the full.

1.0 out of 5 stars The ramblings of a pretentious egotist, 11 July 2008
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
I struggle to understand those who could not put this book down - I finished it but only through gritted teeth (if I start a book, I finish it - this has been the only book I have ever read where I came close to not reading it through to the end). The writing style is pretentious in the extreme, at times simply laughable. The story is very much told from the European/colonial perspective - and the tone is very "poor me". I would normally feel sypathetic to someone who had lost both husband and son early, but in this case I am sorry to say that I simply didn't care. The African population endures such tragedies on a daily basis and has done so for decades. Frankly, I don't think this woman looks beyond the end of her privileged nose. You will learn very little about the real Africa or its people from this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars An emotional tale of African dreams, 7 Feb 2005
Kirstie (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
I read this book cover to cover in two days. Kuki Gallmann is an admirable woman, who made great sacrifices to fullfill her childhood dream of living in Africa. The book details an important period in Kenya's history, when private landowners began to take on board the responsibility they had towards their land and the people and animals which occupied it. Kuki captures her own personal sense of responsibility very poetically, as well as detailing meetings with known Kenyan figures like Richard Leakey, who are involved with conservation to this day. I would definitely encourage anyone with a fascination with East Africa to read this book, it stays with you for sometime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant., 12 Aug 2014
I read this for the first time about 20 years ago after a spelling binding unforgettable trip to Africa and it has stayed with me ever since. I have just reread it and having since had children of my own have found Kukis story even more heartbreaking yet inspiring in equal measure. A must read for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly inspiring story, 10 Jan 2001
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
I cried, laughed, smiled and felt so much of the pain, anguish, love and growth she must have experienced. It was so easy to visualise the settings as she describes them so well.
I highly recommend this book for anyone interest in Africa and the outdoors or anyone just wishing to read a really good story.

4.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful read, 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: I Dreamed of Africa (Paperback)
this is a wonderful book --- sad and happy -I really enjoyed reading and highly recommend this book.

Lovely pictures as well

I Dreamed of Africa (Penguin audiobooks)
I Dreamed of Africa (Penguin audiobooks) by Kuki Gallmann (Audio Cassette - 30 Jun 1994)
Used & New from: 3.08