Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 October 2010
This book is excellent & has come timely as our children's lifestyles are fast becoming fast paced unnecessarily.Eric Carle's idea of a slowing down shows thoughtfulness & it is high time that an author wrote a book about slowing down in our lifestyles.This book actually slows us families down for the better & makes us think 'Hang on, he is right in this matter, we need to slow down for our child's benefit'.This book ought to be nominated for an award. Eric Carle seems not only to be a writer but also a child/family therapy expert who has years & years of expertise working in education.
on 16 October 2010
A lovely book, one of my faves by Eric Carle. Beautiful illustrations as you'd expect and a must for any sloth lovers! Get it, enjoy it and recommend to all your hungry caterpillar loving friends!
I am sure that most households with young children will be aware of The Very Hungry Caterpillar. This is another book by the same writer but not as well known.

This is a very colourful book that shows the sloth 'very slowly, slowly, slowly' doing sloth things. His jungle friends ask him why he is so quiet, slow,lazy and boring. The sloth replies with an entire thesaurus of words to describe his state. I love that page.

I think there is a message there - be yourself and don't worry what others think, perhaps?

Anyway my children love it and I enjoy reading it with them.
on 12 January 2011
Eric Carle at his best. Beautiful illustrations and the story so simple, yet so effective. The sloth's speech at the end is genius. Perfect.
on 7 February 2012
3 years ago I bought this book for my grandson then 3. When visiting him in the States in 2011 I re-read the book with hime relishing the vivid pictures,the slowly unfolding but simple narrative and chuckling over the considered put down contained in the extended final speech of the sloth,our hero. Visually and verbally stimulating,children and adults can enjoy it together or alone.
on 6 July 2015
Product was in good condition and arrived promptly but the story itself was non-existent with illustrations so poor you couldn't even tell which animals were talking to the sloth. No plot to speak of, as there is no problem or issue to be resolved, just a slow sloth
on 2 December 2013
I know I opted for the cheapest option in getting this book but I didn't expect it to be sent in a plastic bag (no bubble wrap etc) and with an old squashed sweet on the last end-page. Thanks guys.
on 9 December 2013
This is my book of the year! Daughter brought it home from school and I immediately bought three copies for gifts for different ages - one to be read to, one for a beginner reader; one for German friends who's son is learning English. Lovely illustrations; great use of alliteration; there's only one page a new reader would find really difficult (but I don't believe it's been written for beginner readers) which is filled with wonderful adjectives as the sloth explains why he doesn't consider himself lazy or dull. Oh, I'm complicating matters. It's an absolute delight and I can wholeheartedly recommend it.
on 25 October 2015
"Why are you so boring?" asks an anteater of the sloth towards the end of this ponderous book. But the sloth doesn't answer. It's tempting to suggest that, 33 years after his success with The Very Hungry Caterpillar, the author can't always be relied upon to produce an interesting story.
The illustrations are quite lovely and may be enough to keep toddlers engaged, but any parent reading with them will probably be bored rigid.
on 12 June 2013
It may be for children but I bought this for my friends 20th as she adores sloths and I'm pretty sure she was one in a past life. She loves this book and has read it quite a few times already! Brilliant story and fantastic pictures!