5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, fresh look at how fairy tales should have been told.
Imbued with typical Dahl wit these rhymes skip and slither along at a sweetly irreverent and highly infectious pace.
This book takes some of our best known fairy stories, from Cinderella to Red Riding Hood and gives them a twist, a mischievous and thoroughly enjoyable twist.... read these ryhmes and you will never think of Red Riding Hood in quite the same way...
Published on 2 Jan. 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the whole story !
I would never write a poor review for a Dahl book, but the problem with this title is that the rhymes within this book are not complete. It's only because a couple of the story's are duplicated in another book I have that I realised they were not complete. Why the heck would you cut them short?
Published on 8 Jan. 2012 by Mr. Graham S. King

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilariously Gross!, 1 May 2012
This review is from: Revolting Rhymes (Paperback)
I bought this book for my 9 and 7 year old girls, as I have fantastic memories of this book as a child. I will always remember the look of shock on my Mum's face, as we read that Little Red Riding Hood "whipped a pistol from her knickers".
This book is very, very funny, and hilariously gross, something which appeals to all children. All rhymes are fairy tales which have been retold in a gruesome and funny way.
Sensitive readers may wish to know that this book does contain the word "slut", something I felt should be censored from my children!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still laughing, 13 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Revolting Rhymes (Picture Puffins) (Paperback)
I was read this book at school, about 18 years ago now. Children do find it funny and so do adults. Okay so I didn't get all the jokes when I was 9 or 10, but Red Riding Hood's wolf slaying had us giggling for ages.

I cannot believe there are bad reviews, with violence as the reason! Have you never read any Grimm brothers?

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic retelling of classics, 26 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Revolting Rhymes (Picture Puffins) (Paperback)
As can be told from the 2-star review by an anonymous reader from Dublin, Revolting Rhymes should come with a parental warning: "WARNING. NOT SUITABLE FOR PARENTS."
The kids'll love it though. And rightly so.
I grew up with this book, and can still remember the first half of Cinderella (I bet you think you know this story. You don't. The real one is much more gory. The phoney one, the one you know, was cooked up years and years ago, and made to sound all soft and sappy, just to keep the children happy...).
The retellings are filled with classic moments: the moment when Red Riding Hood's eyelid flickers, her cameo appearance in another tale involving a hungry wolf, the obnoxious and sword-happy Prince Charming... the list goes on.
Buy this book and you'll be turning your child onto the joys of reading. It's a book of poetry that they'll read again and again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply splendid, 14 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
A fantastic read at any age! A book to read over and over again. This is six of the best known fairy tales retold with Dahl's inspired twists of humor and fate. An easy read at any age, it's packed full of jokes to entertain all. The rhyme and rythem flow throughout, keeping you bouncing along in time with a smile on your face even through some of the more gorey details. It's one of those books that will leave that happy glow to keep you smiling all day long. Be warned though just to watch out for Miss Riding Hood.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Dahl at his best, 22 Dec. 2005
C. Houghton "Kit" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes was one of my favourite books as a kid, particularly when i read it along to the audio tape. Dahl's poetry is simple and clever and, although not suitable for his youngest readers, will be a joy for those who appreciate his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for all ages., 26 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Revolting Rhymes (Paperback)
I read this at school, we did Jack and the Bean Stalk for our Christmas Play. We all found the stories extremely funny, and bored our families to death with quotes and re-readings of the stories. A twist on the originals, harking back to the Grimm Brothers, which are just as gory.

For those worried about language, this book was written over 25 years ago, and many words have developed new meanings in that time. An example from the book, the word 'Slut' is used in Cinderella, this is meant to mean dirty and unclean (and not the other meaning) so in context the word is correct.

I would recommend this book to anyone, young and old!

5.0 out of 5 stars Naughty but nice., 18 Mar. 2011
My 8 year old daughter did a school show of the Cinderella rhyme in this book and raved about it the whole time. That it was ''soooooooooooo funny'' and we had to get the book so she could read the other Dahl original takes on fairytales.
I grew up not even knowing he had tackled fairytales and given them the Dahl treatment. A mis-spent youth perhaps!
My daughter whizzed through the book, it isn't long and it didn't disappoint.
Old fashioned 'horridness' for todays young.
If you or yours, like mine, enjoy books with humour, silliness and that are more than a bit naughty then it could be for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Revolting Rhymes (Paperback)
I got this book for myself, I am a Roald Dahl reader since I have memory and I have a personal interest in new versions of bedtime stories as well. I read Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner and I enjoyed so much than when I find out Dahl wrote something similar I had to read it.
No disappointments at all! Roald Dahl's hilarious twists to the classics are joined in a perfectly edited and beautifully colour illustrated book. I have to say though I didn't expect the book to be so big, it's 8 x 10.5 inches, that's why I didn't give it 5 stars, but that's all.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it as a child and I still love it today!, 17 Nov. 2013
N. Perry (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revolting Rhymes (Paperback)
I had a copy of this book when I was a child and I loved it. I would learn the poems off by heart and recite them to anyone who would listen. Now, 25 years on, I have just bought another copy for the next generation of family and have been lost in reading through the poems again. Roald Dahl has an extraordinary talent of writing so that both adults and children can enjoy his books and you can find something in these poems for everyone. I would highly recommend Revolting Rhymes for anyone with an imagination to cultivate!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 1 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Revolting Rhymes (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book although very un PC!

My 6 year old daughter loves it as did her brother and sister now in teir 20's.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Revolting Rhymes (Picture Puffins)
Revolting Rhymes (Picture Puffins) by Roald Dahl (Paperback - 29 Nov. 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01